• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What If?

After reading through all these comments...

I'm thinking Cape Ann (Gloucester, Rockport) would be the best place to gather.

It's very defensible.

It has numerous sources of fresh water.

It has a readily available food supply (if you like fish)

It can be "isolated" very easily from the mainland

It is close enough to get to quickly, but far enough to be away from urban areas.

Yup - I'm leaning towards Cape Ann. The only problem is kicking the rich out of their houses..

But maybe they can be convinced to leave.

Who's with me?

South?

Everyone talks of going to Maine, VT, etc... Where would the Katrina victims have been if they experienced one of our winters?

I think Cape Anne has been the furthest South, so it has my vote! But, I would consider Alabama. I'd rather chop wood for a 40 degree winter than one in the teens. Call me lazy! LOL

LOL PBS.

O.k., realistically now. And please understand I am only playing Devil's Advocate here, I'm trying to flesh out the situation more realistically to give greater understanding to myself & everyone else.

I have to get the generator up there, dig a well, clear land for a garden, find out zoning laws to at least put up some kind of shelter, put in some manner of handling sewage (find out what is legal, sometimes outhouses aren't legal I think), get the food up there, and every other little thing from kerosene to soap.

O.k. in a true Mad Max scenario, the .gov and the military/police are looking to round up dissidents and put them in FEMA camps. So you have to further plan to keep your hideout hidden from the air, hidden from heat detection, etc. This takes an enormous amount of money and time and work. Really what you are trying to do is run, and keep running- because whatever you do otherwise is almost certainly not going to work. You're out gunned, outmanned, and they have far superior technology.

If it's not Mad Max, how will you support yourself while you live in the woods? What was the point in leaving your job again?

If it comes to running for the hills then it's just going to be running, period. No building cabins on a puny 10 acres- the helicopters with the heat detection will make short work of that.

No offense meant to anyone here, I hope that's understood. [grin]

After reading through all these comments...

I'm thinking Cape Ann (Gloucester, Rockport) would be the best place to gather.*

Living on an island has its advantages,There is only Four ways on & off Cape Ann a draw bridge,a R.R. bridge, a span bridge & boat.

It's very defensible.
Most mountains of granite surronded by ocean are

It has numerous sources of fresh water.
It has a readily available food supply (if you like fish)

Plenty of fresh water & food you are correct

It can be "isolated" very easily from the mainland It is close enough to get to quickly, but far enough to be away from urban areas.
Isolating from mainland MA. would be as easy as severing three bridges would require.

Yup - I'm leaning towards Cape Ann. The only problem is kicking the rich out of their houses..

But maybe they can be convinced to leave.

As far as kicking out the rich,several are "snow birds" that go to FLA. for the winter,should SHTF occur in the cold months you could "Squat" a mansion.

Who's with me?

Nahhh.... I'll be in Maine [wink]

This is a really excellent thread.

Some good thoughts to ponder. There are MANY advantages/disadvantages to each and every scenario that has been floated here so far.

But I think that that main point should be, each of us has to have our own customized "Cover Your Ass (CYA)" methodology for dealing with the escalating Crisis that is unfolding before us here.

There is no One Size Fits All (OSFA) solution. Each and every one of us has different situations (children, grandchildren, elderly infirm parents, single, married, medical dependencies, fitness, age, skills, no skills, addictions, religions, attitudes, mental stablilties, strength, weakness, quickness, slowness, etc., etc., etc.)

We all have to work to find the best solution for our own situations, and while each of us MAY find the optimal situation for ourselves, that in no way indicates that our choices will be of any use to any others besides ourselves.

If the economy collapses to the point where banks are foreclosing left and right,

a) There won't be enough police to kick everyone out of their homes

b) Many police officers will be affected by the foreclosures as well

c) Some police officials will refuse to evict. The Cook County (IL) Sheriff has already set that precedent.

You will need to supply me with tactical directions as Im not that familiar with Cape Ann.

42° 36′ 57″ N, 70° 39′ 45″ W

Cape Ann (Gloucester/Rockport,MA)
Gloucester, MA is the first seaport in America. All other towns named gloucester are poser towns basically. Gloucester is a tough part of mass full of irish and italians. Well known for its fiesta, and the greasy pole. The Perfect Storm was filmed in Gloucester, and all the sailors on the andrea gale were from gloucester.

Last edited:
Wherever you are thinking of going, likely so are many others.

First, make sure you've got the gas to get there, the guns, ammo and personell to secure a convoy of at least three vehicles, money, silver or gold to buy what you may need later on, sufficient food and water for a couple of weeks until you reach your destination and maybe some left over for when you get there, a year's worth of food already there, a potable water supply handy, fuel for winter heating and a source of future fuel, a section of tillable land and seeds to grow a garden, tools, skills and knowledge to live a very spartan lifestyle, spare parts for any machinery, hand tools for grid down conditions, radio communications to monitor the goings on locally and nationally, all the meds you or anyone in your group might need to maintain their health for at least a year.

The absolute will to kill any MFer dead as a stone without any remorse, that tries to impede your travel or invades your retreat.

Most of all, hope that you have sufficient lead time to get there before the real chaos starts.

Here's a good place to start reading to see just how unprepared you really are.

http://survivalblog.com/

Did you know any of the crew? My cousin was one of them

Regards,
Paul

Yes,I was friendly w/ the Shatford family.
I also know family members of the Tyne & Sullivan families.
I have done work aboard the Hannah Bowdin(sister ship) back in 1996

Back
Top Bottom