• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What if the threads aren't on the barrel?

dcmdon

NES Member
So I just purchased a "neutered" AK74 today. This one comes with nothing on the end of the bbl. On the Front Sight base, where the threads normally are, it just looks like it was left unthreaded. So this AK is not one of those that comes with a permanently affixed brake.

I was thinking of purchasing a threaded front sight block and silver soldering on the brake before I installed it on the gun. That would keep me legal at all times.

Then I had a flashback to the CT law which reads:
A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor. . .

But on the AK the threads are not on the bbl. They are on the front sight block. So no threaded bbl but a threaded sight block. Is this legal? My guess is that its on the bleeding edge. This is a discussion for academic purposes only at this point.

Don

My personal opinion, which obviously isn't worth much [wink], is that this would be a no no. I would say you must not be able to attach any suppressor in any manner. I would dremel the threads or silver solder over them.

I'm not aware of any specific cases regarding this aspect.

a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
It seems pretty clear - if the device is a flash suppressor, no go. If it's a muzzle brake your fine.

Rob,
I've got no interest in putting a flash suppressor on the gun. My only interest would be to be able to put a sound suppressor or maybe a muzzle brake on the gun, neither of which are a problem in CT. So its just the threads I'm inquiring about.

You're trying to skirt the intent of the law by narrowly interpreting the text. If there are threads at the end of the barrel (whether actually on the barrel itself or on another piece attached to the barrel) that would allow a flash suppressor, you're going to get bitten. Without a written OK from the AG, I wouldn't do it.

I know. I wonder if a pre-ban AK 74 receiver can be had? All my ARs are pre-ban, so I can dress them up as I like. Ironically, I prefer a fixed stock and I have no use for a bayo lug. I just like threaded bbls because I like to be able to switch from a big loud brake to a sound suppressor for when i shoot on a friends land that has some houses within about 1/4 mile.

Don

I just like threaded bbls because I like to be able to switch from a big loud brake to a sound suppressor for when i shoot on a friends land that has some houses within about 1/4 mile.

You mean these features have a use other than for killing kittens with? That's unpossible!

So I just purchased a "neutered" AK74 today. This one comes with nothing on the end of the bbl. On the Front Sight base, where the threads normally are, it just looks like it was left unthreaded. So this AK is not one of those that comes with a permanently affixed brake.

I was thinking of purchasing a threaded front sight block and silver soldering on the brake before I installed it on the gun. That would keep me legal at all times.

Then I had a flashback to the CT law which reads:
A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor. . .

But on the AK the threads are not on the bbl. They are on the front sight block. So no threaded bbl but a threaded sight block. Is this legal? My guess is that its on the bleeding edge. This is a discussion for academic purposes only at this point.

Don

Although technically it sounds logical, it sounds iffy from a legal standpoint.

Rob,
I've got no interest in putting a flash suppressor on the gun. My only interest would be to be able to put a sound suppressor or maybe a muzzle brake on the gun, neither of which are a problem in CT. So its just the threads I'm inquiring about.

Even if your threaded gas block did pass muster, adding a sound suppressor will put you right back where you started since a sound suppressor also acts as a flash suppressor (very good ones in fact).
So, now you're back to having 2 or more "evil features".

Another potential problem could be found here...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/100935-Threaded-barrel?highlight=machinist

As stated by several posters, bore/thread alignment is critical when installing a sound suppressor.

I know. I wonder if a pre-ban AK 74 receiver can be had? All my ARs are pre-ban, so I can dress them up as I like. Ironically, I prefer a fixed stock and I have no use for a bayo lug. I just like threaded bbls because I like to be able to switch from a big loud brake to a sound suppressor for when i shoot on a friends land that has some houses within about 1/4 mile.

Don

You might as well buy a complete pre-ban AK. It would be highly unusual/unlikely to find a stripped pre-ban AK receiver (I'm not even certain that pre-ban AK -74's were even manufactured).

Last edited:
Login,
Although you are technically correct that a sound suppressor acts as a flash suppressor, CT does not prohibit them on post ban rifles. I raised just that question with the AG's office.

I have a post ban MP5 with the standard 3 lug bbl. I've got a can for it and had the same concern you raised. I asked the Class 3 dealer I bought the can from and he said "no problem". Not good enough for me. So I called the DPS. Nobody would commit "on the record". So I called the AG and spoke to someone who worked for Blumenthal. He said it was not a problem. Somewhere in my documentation for the MP5 I've got the persons name, date of conversation, etc. Also the reality is that people are using suppressors on post ban guns all around CT and Class 3 dealers are selling them that way.

This comes up every once in a while over at Silencertalk.com.

re cutting threads.
I just send whatever I need threaded off to YHM if its a YHM can or whoever the recommended threader is for any other can I own. The botom line is that if I get a baffle strike I want to be "covered". YHM said they will fix at no charge any baffle strikes that come from a bbl they threaded.

YHM is also very reasonably priced. They did a Marlin Papoose bbl for me last year for $60.

I keep seeing threads on permanently attached muzzlebrakes. I know that doesn't make it legal, but it is very common and is how people get silencers on their .223s and .308s in ban states.

Considering that 8 out of 10 people on here will tell you that something that is legal is illegal, we're just begging for somebody to actually come by that knows. This is depressing. Good thing we have to fear our own government will jail us over the configuration of a tool. Helps keep us serfs in line.

sniper - Its an Aresnal SLR 105, bulgarian.

Twinsen - Actually a permanently attached muzzle brake is perfectly legal in CT.
If the muzzle brake is permantntly attached, the threads are not available. So you are 100% legal. No room for discussion.

The grey area comes from the fact that the law says:

On an AK, the bbl isn't threaded. The front sight base is.
So the barrel isn't threaded.

You raise a good point. Devices like this:
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=627

Are freely sold in CT. I think because they are proprietary. The law says

or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor. . .

So is there isn't a flash suppressor designed to screw onto those threads (which there isn't), then you are good. That seems to be the interpretation in CT. Because I know people with post ban guns permanently affixing items like this to the end of their barrel.

Login,
Although you are technically correct that a sound suppressor acts as a flash suppressor, CT does not prohibit them on post ban rifles. I raised just that question with the AG's office.

I have a post ban MP5 with the standard 3 lug bbl. I've got a can for it and had the same concern you raised. I asked the Class 3 dealer I bought the can from and he said "no problem". Not good enough for me. So I called the DPS. Nobody would commit "on the record". So I called the AG and spoke to someone who worked for Blumenthal. He said it was not a problem. Somewhere in my documentation for the MP5 I've got the persons name, date of conversation, etc. Also the reality is that people are using suppressors on post ban guns all around CT and Class 3 dealers are selling them that way.

This comes up every once in a while over at Silencertalk.com.

Was this statement from the AG's office released in any official capacity ie "on the record"? Is anything in writing or just verbal? Are they willing to put anything in writing?

In answer to your other question about preban AK receivers, both Norinco and Polytech have prebans out there. You could do a 74 conversion on a .223 Norinco 84S and have all the features you want.

CTbuilder,

are these Norinco or Polytech receivers out there in all the standard places. Sturmgewehr, gunbroker, etc.
Are there any AK specific sites that have good classified ads? AR15.com?

Thanks.

Don

The thing is, you probably won't just find a reciever. You will most likely have to buy the whole gun and go from there. I used to have a preban Norinco 84s and I believe it was in the $1200 range. I would expect them to be in that price range. I'm sure some will show up on the auction sites or other forums equipment exchanges if you search for them. The Norico will be cheaper and easier to find than the polytech. Once you have it, though you can go with an underfolder or a side folder (with modification) or you could send it out to have it built into a Krink SBR. Just like preban ARs the possibilities are endless.

Disclaimer - The AK47 and all it's variants are the weapons of our enemies. I do not endorse or condone ownership of said platform. If at all possible the AR15 should always be considered first. [smile]

Your disclaimer made me chuckle. I went through the same self flagilation a couple of weeks ago when I purchased my first AK.
Its Bulgarian. So I feel good about it. Bulgaria is now a member of NATO and the European Union. Buy Bulgarian AKs with a clean conscience.

Re these old Polytechs or Norincos, they were imported 25 years ago, buying one won't support our enemies.

A bigger issue are the Chinese Mossberg and Remington knockoffs I see at gun shops. These are new production so the purchase of them goes right into their pockets.

ctbuilder,
Is the Polytech a better gun than the Norinco or is it just worth more because it is rarer?
This gun is going to be a shooter, not a safe queen, so I'm willing to pay for quality but not for collectability.

Thanks,

Don

p.s. So yes its true. I started this thread with questions about a neutered post-ban gun. Then I spent Monday shooting it and I'm hooked. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to sell my ARs, but I definitely want to get a pre-ban AK now.

Last edited:
I'm nowhere as close to being as up on AKs as I am on ARs, so I have to differ to those I know who know better than me. From what I have been told the Polytech is the nicer of the two, but not enough that it's really going to matter as a shooter. If you are going to run this thing I would just look for a Norinco 84s and get it over with. Mine was a sweet shooter in .223. Real smooth. Both manufacturers are Chinese and the Chinese made some nice AKs.

Thanks. I'll poke around on the AK boards some. Like you, I don't know much about AKs yet. I know I had a good time shooting my new AK74. It was surprisingly accurate. With some real sights, it might give an M4 style AR a run for its money.
Sometimes the ignorant get lucky. I've since found out that I did pretty well getting my Arsenal SLR 105 for $640.

Here's a folding Norinco that doesn't look bad:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=778966

Back
Top Bottom