What I learned from my first PRS22 match...

nightpoison

NES Member
I attended the Granby rimfire match this past Sunday. I have to say I had a blast and am looking forward to shooting in any upcoming matches. It was amazing being able to shoot out to 500yrds and with such a variety of targets. You know other than paper.

I have some take aways and questions that I thought I would post for the collective.

• What a great group of people. The squad I was assigned to were awesome. They allowed me to use their spotting Scopes, binoculars, shooting bags, and other equipment without hesitation, offered advice, and we're generally just all around good people.
  • I was lacking experience. This was a whole nother can of worms when it came to shooting at these distances. With the ranges I've been a member of I've only had opportunities to shoot out to 100yrds on a regular basis. So I wasn't really sure what to expect. It was every bit as fun as I was hoping. Lack of equipment wasn't my main issue, as others freely lent out their own for me to use, but experience was an issue. More on that later
  • Wow does PRS use a lot of equipment. Not going to talk about the cost, and yes some of it is WOW. But some of the shooters had 5+ different types of shooting bags. Probably more. Different sizes, with/without mounts, different types; front, rear, under arm. Spotting Scopes, binoculars, range finders, tripods, hand held weather and ballistic calculators, and more. Now I'm not in fact going to run out and start buying up all of this stuff, but there are a few first purchases I will make. as I learn more and gain more experience there will be other purchases. I just didn't realize the level of equipment used at these events. Besides the rifle and scope. Fully aware of that. Don't get me wrong I knew most of these items could be or would be used. But just how often and when was surprising
  • Mistakes I made. One of my first new purchases will be a new scope. Not having a zero stop screwed me a few times. Immediately after the first stage I lost my zero. I had to make five different adjustments, I over adjusted up and needed to come back down and I lost track of how many clicks I made. So I had to rezero and that was a pain, as the range we initially used for zeroing had already been taken up by other shooters. The match coordinator helped me out and we were able to get it rezeroed with only two shots. However I lost count two more times, and had to use my first shot to readjust my scope for zero, and hope I got it right. So those of you looking to get into PRS. Zero stop is your friend. I'm sure if I'm careful I will be able to manage just fine with this scope, but I don't want to. I will be replacing this scope with one that has a zero stop.
  • More mistakes. I screwed up and didn't look at ballistics calculators until the day before and only briefly. I severely underestimated it's importance. Many many times I was able to get initially hits off, but as I needed to change elevation my adjustments were way off. I could see splashes, but they were usually high.
  • (Edit) forgot about the wind. Early in the day it wasn't dramatic of an issue, but when we relocated to the upper range area it had a noticable affect. My issue was when it was my turn I either didn't consider at all or remembered half way through a string that 8vneeded to adjust for wind.
Next steps for me
  • Replace my scope with one with a zero stop
  • Look at the ballistics calculators and figure out how to properly use them
  • I want to find a new home club. One that has at least 200-300 yard access. I need to be able to practice at further distances than 100.
  • Attend the upcoming PRS practice event in Granby. I'm already registered, but I will absolutely be there.
  • I want to have at least one bag rest for my next event, so there is one less thing for me to borrow.
I'm Sure there are other things I'm missing, take aways and I know there many more questions, but time to get ready for work.

PXL_20230312_145316468.jpgPXL_20230312_145323916.jpgPXL_20230312_171346691.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome to hear!!! Glad you had a great time and got hooked haha. The people are indeed awesome. I shot the centerfire but unfortunately had a conflict on Sunday.

Zero stop is critical in my opinion. On some scopes without zero stops you can add shims for a makeshift zero stop. Did that on a SWFA scope. If you're buying a new scope and your current scope is MOA, switch to MRAD. Don't turn one mistake into two. 🤣

Regarding gear, it is definitely gear heavy, but you can acquire it slowly and don't need everything up front. The only things critical are a ballistic solver and one good bag to function as a rear bag and front support bag.

For the bag, did you try anything on Sunday that you liked? Cant go wrong with a gamechanger, either the shmedium, OG or +1. Other bags can be helpful in specific situations, like puff pillows and front bag/plate combos for running tripod rear, but they are far from critical.

For ballistic app, applied ballistics or Hornady 4dof, or bite the bullet and buy a Kestrel. I wouldnt bother with Strelok at this point, it's getting shut down because Russian snipers are using it against Ukrainians.

That's it for stuff that's critical. Tripod and a set of good binos would be next. Everything after that are nice-to-haves, not needs.

Awesome to hear!!! Glad you had a great time and got hooked haha. The people are indeed awesome. I shot the centerfire but unfortunately had a conflict on Sunday.

Zero stop is critical in my opinion. On some scopes without zero stops you can add shims for a makeshift zero stop. Did that on a SWFA scope. If you're buying a new scope and your current scope is MOA, switch to MRAD. Don't turn one mistake into two. 🤣

Regarding gear, it is definitely gear heavy, but you can acquire it slowly and don't need everything up front. The only things critical are a ballistic solver and one good bag to function as a rear bag and front support bag.

For the bag, did you try anything on Sunday that you liked? Cant go wrong with a gamechanger, either the shmedium, OG or +1. Other bags can be helpful in specific situations, like puff pillows and front bag/plate combos for running tripod rear, but they are far from critical.

For ballistic app, applied ballistics or Hornady 4dof, or bite the bullet and buy a Kestrel. I wouldnt bother with Strelok at this point, it's getting shut down because Russian snipers are using it against Ukrainians.

That's it for stuff that's critical. Tripod and a set of good binos would be next. Everything after that are nice-to-haves, not needs.
Was wondering if you were there.

Nope current scope is Mil, so new one will be Mil.

Agreed I'm looking for a bag. Probably a small one at first. Allow me to get it into those tight obstacles. I spaced on the bags I used. I borrowed a couple plates with bags. I know I need a smaller plate. The larger one I used had no room with my bipod. I have a salmon river hunter rail. Only about 11"

Any suggestions on the kestrel, not really sure.

I was thinking a rangefinder ahead of binoculars. Was thinking the Athlon Midas G2.

Here's the bag you want. shmedium GC heavy fill. AG0748-Shmedium Mid-Size Game Changer®

kestrel elite w/ applied ballistics is pricey but buy once cry once. you don't need to buy a Kestrel, though. the phone app is $30 and will get you through fine for a while.

skip the rangefinder and get a good set of binos. assuming you aren't looking to spend $1k+ on binos, Tract, Zeiss and Meopta make some pretty awesome glass for reasonable prices. you will learn a lot on glass and they're critical for reading conditions, aside from the obvious spotting function. PRS match targets are all known distance and someone on every squad is bound to have a rangefinder if you want to range them.

skip the rangefinder and get a good set of binos. assuming you aren't looking to spend $1k+ on binos, Tract, Zeiss and Meopta make some pretty awesome glass for reasonable prices. .

What makes a set of binoculars good for this application? My birding (and sometimes shooting) binocular is Nikon Monarch 7, 8x42. They’re awesome for birds and less than $500

But is that an appropriate power? Would 7x or 10x be better?

That’s great you did your first match, soon you will see why some have accumulated so much gear. Bob does a great job on matches and is a huge supporter of the sport. I did not make Sunday’s match, next time maybe.
My advice get the Schmedium game changer in sticky if available

My experience has been it’s worth it to buy once cry once. You should begin with a ballistics app for sure
Get used to it then go for the Kestrel Elite when it’s time.

Learn and practice fundamentals and your process will get smoother and faster with experience.

Wind got me on Saturday as well but I learned a lot more about it having that experience.

Good luck

Thanks @MC56 and @slipknot . I'll have a game changer for the next event. As I would want to grab the kestrel elite, I'll be holding off on that and learning to use the app for now, as suggested. I just need a lot more experience overall. New scope and bag are my priority now, a long with a dope card. A set of binoculars will be next.

Bob was great , didn't hesitate in helping me get re zeroed. The entire day was smooth, bob did a good job organizing it, but what made things go as smooth as it did was everyone was helping out. I was spotting, scoring and running the line all at different times. Everyone did the same, we all rotated and helped.

What makes a set of binoculars good for this application? My birding (and sometimes shooting) binocular is Nikon Monarch 7, 8x42. They’re awesome for birds and less than $500

I’d say 12x-15x especially if you ever plan to migrate to centerfire stuff.

I’d say 12x-15x especially if you ever plan to migrate to centerfire stuff.

Ah! OK, so no overlap with birding glass. 10x is about the max for birds before you can't find or track them.

Are binoculars better or worse than a spotting scope?

Those will get you started but you'll probably want more magnification. I use 15x binos and a separate rangefinder. 10x is fine for rimfire, but you may want more for centerfire. Binos are easier on the eyes as @Mudflap621 mentioned. They also have a wider FOV and make it easier, at least for me, to pick out reference points and visualize/plan the COF in my head. I am starting to wish I also had a spotting scope with a MIL reticle, but even if I get one I'll always have binos with me.

What zero distance are competitors typically using? Thx

If given a choice, I'll zero my rimfire at 25yds, but usually I zero at whatever distance the MD put the zero target before the match, so usually 50yds. It doesn't make much of a difference. Centerfire you should zero at 100yds.

Those will get you started but you'll probably want more magnification. I use 15x binos and a separate rangefinder. 10x is fine for rimfire, but you may want more for centerfire. Binos are easier on the eyes as @Mudflap621 mentioned. They also have a wider FOV and make it easier, at least for me, to pick out reference points and visualize/plan the COF in my head. I am starting to wish I also had a spotting scope with a MIL reticle, but even if I get one I'll always have binos with me.

If given a choice, I'll zero my rimfire at 25yds, but usually I zero at whatever distance the MD put the zero target before the match, so usually 50yds. It doesn't make much of a difference. Centerfire you should zero at 100yds.
25X binos too much? I have had a pair of Celestron's for years. Decent binos, but you definitely want them on a tripod or against something to steady your view. I have a good spotting scope that I use for CMP matches / high power.

25X binos too much? I have had a pair of Celestron's for years. Decent binos, but you definitely want them on a tripod or against something to steady your view. I have a good spotting scope that I use for CMP matches / high power.
probably, but certainly worth a try before investing any money on another pair. they'll be fine for spotting, you just may not be able to pan to every target effectively while someone is shooting a stage. high power spotters are still handy for the long shots. usually if someone has a spotting scope and there's a 3-400yd target, they'll just stay on that one and let the 10-15x binos spot the rest. whatever the optic is, a solid tripod is a must.

probably, but certainly worth a try before investing any money on another pair. they'll be fine for spotting, you just may not be able to pan to every target effectively while someone is shooting a stage. high power spotters are still handy for the long shots. usually if someone has a spotting scope and there's a 3-400yd target, they'll just stay on that one and let the 10-15x binos spot the rest. whatever the optic is, a solid tripod is a must.
to continue gear topic - i was always kinda curious - just like looking at this video - i can see the whole crowd marches up with huge camping style backpacks full of something.
what is the typical 'something'? :) as it indeed seems to be a heck load of it.

View: https://youtu.be/6xgL0ctbu1c?t=451

to continue gear topic - i was always kinda curious - just like looking at this video - i can see the whole crowd marches up with huge camping style backpacks full of something.
what is the typical 'something'? :) as it indeed seems to be a heck load of it.

View: https://youtu.be/6xgL0ctbu1c?t=451

clothing/layers/raingear, support bags, shooting plates/tac tables, tripod, extra bipod, binos/spotting scope/rangefinder, parts kit, tool kit, med supplies/first aid kit, snacks, water/powerade/pedialyte, ammo, kestrel and/or phone, notebook/clipboard and pens/markers, painters tape, extra dope cards, ear pro, extra batteries, sun screen, bug spray, etc.

Don't get worked up about needing all the gear to start shooting matches. In reality you 'need' very little. All the other stuff makes things more convenient, more comfortable, or more enjoyable. PRS is definitely a gear collector game.
There are sometimes 'one piece of equipment only ' or 'one bag only ' stages. I'm thinking about running a Hopkinton match as 'one bag only ' start to finish for the whole match. Leave all your other stuff at home.

Don't get worked up about needing all the gear to start shooting matches. In reality you 'need' very little. All the other stuff makes things more convenient, more comfortable, or more enjoyable. PRS is definitely a gear collector game.
There are sometimes 'one piece of equipment only ' or 'one bag only ' stages. I'm thinking about running a Hopkinton match as 'one bag only ' start to finish for the whole match. Leave all your other stuff at home.
i know i should just finally show up for the event and start doing it, but, it just there is always something else that gets in the way.
hopes to get to that granby prs open day also got cancelled, as i got bumped off confirmed list into standby, so now there are other plans wife made for that saturday, just a nont-stop sad joke.
well, whatever.

clothing/layers/raingear, support bags, shooting plates/tac tables, tripod, extra bipod, binos/spotting scope/rangefinder, parts kit, tool kit, med supplies/first aid kit, snacks, water/powerade/pedialyte, ammo, kestrel and/or phone, notebook/clipboard and pens/markers, painters tape, extra dope cards, ear pro, extra batteries, sun screen, bug spray, etc.
JC, I think I'm going to have to start working out before I try a match

JC, I think I'm going to have to start working out before I try a match
Nah, it ain't that bad. Also keep in mind that video is in Oklahoma. Most of the matches around here you are walking distance to your car, if needed. Alderbrook for centerfire and EGFG for rimfire are really the only exceptions that I can think of.

Amen. Do it. There will def be one bag only stages at Reading this year, not sure about a whole match though. Allowing gear inspires creativity and new ways of building stable positions.

Amen. Do it. There will def be one bag only stages at Reading this year, not sure about a whole match though. Allowing gear inspires creativity and new ways of building stable positions.
I might also do something like a 10 shot stage with a 30 second par time. We only have 100 yards to work with on all but 1 or 2 stages, so have to make it interesting some how

I might also do something like a 10 shot stage with a 30 second par time. We only have 100 yards to work with on all but 1 or 2 stages, so have to make it interesting some how
Those are fun. Make it HTM and add a physical component if you miss so the shooter has to burn time and raise their heart rate. I did a stage like that last year. 8 shot KYL @ 60yds (I think?), 30 seconds, HTM, and if you missed you had to run back and tag a barrel about 7yds back before taking the next shot.

What I learned at my first PRS22 Match? That it’s a Young Man’s Game. At 70 years old climbing onto simulated Roof Tops, piles of tires and Tank Traps is beyond my physical capability. I like the game and helped getting it started at my club but I’m out. Leaving it to younger guys who are doing a great job with it.

Nah, it ain't that bad. Also keep in mind that video is in Oklahoma. Most of the matches around here you are walking distance to your car, if needed. Alderbrook for centerfire and EGFG for rimfire are really the only exceptions that I can think of.

Alderbrook smokes the shit out of me, especially in the snow 😅

Are distances known or do you have to gauge them?

Is a 20 MOA mount enough to get out to 500y with most scopes?

Back
Top Bottom