• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What/how do you like to hunt?

I love the upland game birds (ie Pheasant, chukar, partridge, etc.). Watching a good gun dog is a pleasure to watch in the field. A 12 or 20 gauge can be used. I have used both, and find the 20 gauge personally better. Faster follow up shots, less recoil, but still able to knock down the birds effectively and efficiently. Good luck with whatever you chose for hunting.

Pretty much take shotgun week off because of the number of goons out.

I agree with you on that one, as far as the goons being in full force for those two weeks, especially on the first Saturday.

For deer, my hunting buddies and I get out to the places on the Cape where pretty much no other hunter would attempt to get to. I'm talking marshes that you have to jump tidal rivers to get to. Huge areas covered in briars that no human in their right mind would try to gain access to. Long hikes into the middle of nowhere National Seashore land where if we do bag a deer, it's going to be one hell of a drag back to the truck. It's hard work but it's worth it to stay away from the goon squads. All these places are where the deer escape to once WWIII breaks out on opening shotgun day anyhow. You have to get into the places no one else wants to go, or is capable of going. Some days I carry pruning shears and a small machete. Some guys frown upon driving deer but we are giving ZERO f*cks. We work for it, hard. None of us would have any success hunting these areas alone anyhow, given the amount of noise that needs to happen crashing through swamps and prickers and such. There's only a few days we can all hunt together because of schedules; All three other guys have wives and little kids.

My first deer was taken in a marsh and we (3 of us at the time) had to drag it quite a long way over tall grass and tidal rivers/ slews. I pulled a back muscle that day that wasn't completely healed until late the following Spring. [sad2] It was worth it though. Good times.

Bird hunting. Because I love to watch the dogs work. They come alive. As an old time dog trainrr once said "going hunting without a dog is like going on a honeymoon without a bride."

This. I used to hunt Quail and Pheasants as much as possible before i moved up here. Always had family members with great bird dogs and it was always something to see a well trained dog work.

Another vote for the birds. Great time walking around getting exercise and my dog loves his job. Just stay away from the big WMAs on a Saturday. Geesh!

I'm curious as to how people got into hunting waterfowl. Is it something you grew up with, or did you pick it up as an adult?

I didn't grow up in a family that hunted, and I've always been interested in hunting waterfowl but haven't much idea as to how to start, where to go, etc.

Back
Top Bottom