• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Have You Tied Lately?

I was only able to find one other thread with photos of what folks had tied and it was from 2010.

So who here ties? Let's see what you've done!

October Caddis and an October Stimulator
baty9usy.jpg

Yellow Zonkers
e4e3u3yh.jpg

The Usuals
mygyhyze.jpg

Those look good! I like the zonkers, gonna have to try that out.

I just got into fly fishing this summer and started tying about a month ago. Bought a selection of tools, materials and a cheap vice. So far I've only done a few ant patterns, some coachmans, and a few other easy ones. I haven't had much time lately, but I'm gonna try to stay at it through the winter to build up a nice selection of flies for next year. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

Tried my hand at some muddler minnows tonight

6414BA96-C835-4100-AD28-E69EB6CAB19E.jpg

Those actually look pretty good! I haven't tried spinning deer hair yet, but want to learn this winter so I can tie some big bass flies.

Did up some single eggs tonight with McFlyFoam. First time I used it. I like it, but getting them consistent was a challenge.
qatemebe.jpg

Those actually look pretty good! I haven't tried spinning deer hair yet, but want to learn this winter so I can tie some big bass flies.

Did up some single eggs tonight with McFlyFoam. First time I used it. I like it, but getting them consistent was a challenge.

It's a lot easier than I thought it would be, although tedious. Stack and cut the hair, pinch it where you want it and do 3 loose loops. When you tighten down on the loops, the hair just spins around evenly on its own. I thought it was pretty cool the first time I did it. My trouble was not leaving enough room on the shank for the first wrap of deer hair, let alone the second. You do two, the second wrap on the front is just the trimmed off butts of deer hair from the first wrap, which you trim tight to shape the head. I'm still working on it.

Nice midge box! I was at the swift yesterday, my first time checking out the Y pool. Tons of big fish cruising around everywhere, but they wouldn't bite anything I showed them. A lot of them were rising, but I couldn't figure out what they were after. When I hiked back to my truck I saw huge swarms of mating midges all over the place and realized my mistake. I didn't have any midge patterns, except for a couple orange zebra nymphs I had tied (that I didn't think to use)

I'm new to the whole fly fishing thing, so I'm learning from my mistakes. Started tying some midge patterns last night.

Back
Top Bottom