What have you seen lately?

Damn if I didn't hear something odd in woods last night around 7:30. Sounded like a fire truck turned on it's Klaxon for about 3 seconds. Didn't ramp all the way up. Never dropped. Just wwwWWWWOOORRRRRR<STOP>. It didn't wind down. IT barely wound up. Made the sound twice. Then nada.

It COULD have been a fire engine. Assuming the sound carried a ton. But no other sounds. No other vehicle noise. No other emergency sounds. Just a wwwWWWWWWOOOOR<STOP> twice about a minute apart coming from the same spot in the woods.

After researching a few animals, it HAD to be a fire engine. But damn. The location was just wrong.

How is Canada? Years ago on GT, someone asked about goose hunting and everyone that posted said it tasted awful and was tough as hell. Basically, about as good as seagull or crow. LOL

I was helping my mom get out of my car (at 92 she doesn't move very well) when I felt something like some heavy paper hit my left leg. Looked down and this guy had flown in and was making himself at home. Got her out and had to get a cane I keep in the car to prod him to move. But all he did was hop out and walk under my car. Stayed there when I drove off and as I was leaving he was just kinda walking around like this was an everyday occurrence.

Pigeon Passenger.jpg

How is Canada? Years ago on GT, someone asked about goose hunting and everyone that posted said it tasted awful and was tough as hell. Basically, about as good as seagull or crow. LOL
It's hit & miss, have had some ways that are great & others it sucked. You have to cook it like most any game light & easy or else it gets tough fast. I'm sure the geese that are feeding on agriculture in other parts of the country are better tasting than our marsh grass & lawn eating birds around here

When the COO opened the door to let our cat in last night, a flying squirrel ran into the house, up and down the walls, then disappeared. I put the PTQ136 into action and quickly located the intruder. After coaxing the intruder out of its hiding spot with a broom, it avoided the direct path towards egress, and ran towards the opposite end of the house. I again located the intruder with the FLIR, and managed to take hold of it with my gloved hand. "Take a pic?" "NO! Get that thing outta here!" So, no pic.

been seeing an opossum on the outdoor security cameras... should I worry about it or leave it be?

Sitting in my tree stand yesterday I heard a rustling coming from over a ridge, about 30 yards away. Got up and ready, when all of a sudden I see a plume of smoke followed by a guy in orange with a black powder rifle. He walked within 50 feet of where I was, dropped his butt on the ground covered with leaves, stepped on it and walked off. Other than that, nothing!

This one got hit Saturday night and the woman didn't want it so I got the call to pick it up. My daughter came over to give me a hand field dressing and it was around 11 pm and -4 below by the time we finished. A lot of fat stored up and just made it worse to dress as it turned to hard wax as it froze. This was the most time I ever spent just field dressing. Sucks when its that cold.
20220115_175308.jpg

Lived in my house since July 1984. Seen all kinds of birds and animals over the years. About 3 weeks ago for the 1st time a bald eagle appeared over the house but was gone by the time i got a long lens on the camera. Yesterday he appeared again about 100 feet in back of the house, in a tree flapping his wings. By the time I got in gear he was gone again !! Next time -there will be pics cause I'll be ready !!!!

I swear I just saw a blue heron fly over my office window in FR. I was on the phone. It just flapped up and over the building. With those trailing legs. It definitely wasn't a dark gull. Nor did it seem hawk-like. Maybe it was. ????

Heron in January?????

I swear I just saw a blue heron fly over my office window in FR. I was on the phone. It just flapped up and over the building. With those trailing legs. It definitely wasn't a dark gull. Nor did it seem hawk-like. Maybe it was. ????

Heron in January?????
They're still around, I've seen them in the salt marsh creeks standing in the open spots picking off chubs

Had a bald eagle 🦅 over the house on Sunday. Pretty wild I had no idea we had them in this area. I couldn’t get a photo partly because he was on the move and I was in awe.

CD6229B3-BB85-426B-866F-29C7F30647B4.jpeg
I killed my first Bufflehead last day of coastal. Brined, then marinated in Italian dressing. Wrapped in bacon and grilled. It didn’t taste like a mallard, but not bad.

Attachments

• 3DEE2562-1A22-4243-860D-42AE0D5251CA.jpeg
    3DEE2562-1A22-4243-860D-42AE0D5251CA.jpeg
    973.8 KB · Views: 9
I heard something fall, and I thought it was in the garage. I grabbed a light, and decided to check out the basement first.

I opened the door... "HEY, HONEY? WE GOT A WEASEL!"

There was a stoat in full ermine coat, who had been raiding my mousetraps. I know full size weasels are a danger to cats, but this little guy was maybe 8" long, body-wise. Since they're hell on mice and voles, the buffet is wide open for him, no charge.

Fearless little critter, too. I was on the top step, and he was playing peekaboo up and down the stairs, coming as close as the step below mine.

Saw bald eagles 4 different days duck hunting this year. All different spots. 3 of the sightings were in neighboring towns but different locations and one was on the north shore.
562127A3-7E00-4C42-96CB-341EE14DC4C3.jpeg
My daughter and I saw two bald eagles, each on the tree opposite each other And both obviously eyeing a significantly-size rabbit-a fresh kill on the road-And not the first time we've seen them. In the last three months we've got three separate sightings. Right in Leominster.

Attachments

• E3CC6559-E880-4EBA-87BE-B2D6C9722E09.jpeg
    E3CC6559-E880-4EBA-87BE-B2D6C9722E09.jpeg
    587.7 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom