• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

Had an ill or wounded Canada Goose on the lake for a few days, definitely was not well. As I looked out over the lake yesterday there was quite a bit of splashing and stirring in the water. I grabbed the binocs and took a look. Big Mama san snapper was finishing off that goose and it disappeared below. That turtle is enormous, as large as a manhole cover.

Chipmonks have ravaged my garden this year, they know exactly the right time to pick my crops of tomatos and anything else the fell like tasting I've had to pick early and let them ripen on the window sills.

Driving on wilson road Fall River, which runs from the industrial park to the forest . I stop and look down at the northern side of the tunnel that runs under the road. a couple months ago there was a school of fish swimming there. Now, just a trickle of water less than a foot wide and a foot deep. I look down and see a shell to a turtle in the mud. I poke it a few times and no movement. Flip it over thinking its dead from the lack of food and still no movement. Then it comes to life. it knew help had just arrived so It crawled on shore looking for food and belly rub. No food , but I did help him with a scratch behind his ears before he rolled over and let me take a pic . And just like dogs, rub their belly and their legs go into this uncontrollable spasm. Too cute! I gave him directions to deeper waters and off he went into the sunset. DSC_2819.JPG

Got a couple small and darn near fearless flocks of these things which stroll through the yard daily. This was last week.
IMG-1457.jpg

No photo (but she would probably have let me take off my pack and get the phone out).

This morning's ride at Rockhouse. Red/White trail, north of the brook and between the two stone wall crossings. Doe standing in the middle of the trail. I slow down thinking she'll trot off. She just stares at me. I get to within about twelve feet and stop. Nope, not moving. I say, "Um, excuse me, I kinda need to go there." Nope. It was a good two solid minutes before she trotted twenty feet or so upslope trailside.

Not the first time this has happened, but the longest conversation I've had to have with one to get her to move.

No photo (but she would probably have let me take off my pack and get the phone out).

This morning's ride at Rockhouse. Red/White trail, north of the brook and between the two stone wall crossings. Doe standing in the middle of the trail. I slow down thinking she'll trot off. She just stares at me. I get to within about twelve feet and stop. Nope, not moving. I say, "Um, excuse me, I kinda need to go there." Nope. It was a good two solid minutes before she trotted twenty feet or so upslope trailside.

Not the first time this has happened, but the longest conversation I've had to have with one to get her to move.
That's what you get for not smelling like a d*mned hairless ape.

Well done

Wife had an avid interest in dragon flies. In summer, when the kids were small, she would go out with a pocketful of tooth picks. She would rescue live damsel flies from spider webs and clean the web off with the tooth pick to the point that the damsel fly would fly off her finger.

Having a degree in earth science, years ago, she wanted the premier book on dragon flies. I got it for her on her birthday, was a whopping $350. I still have clip on plastic dragon flies around the house. She passed a couple years back.

Yesterday, being a cold snap, I left the house early to take the barrels out. There on the rear porch was a massive dragon fly looking like it was dead. After the chores, I picked it up and brought it into the house. I set it on a paper towel on the kitchen table. It started to move after a bit, wings fluttered, legs moved, body arched and I watched it for a bit. I poured my coffee and went back to the computer wondering if I would have to chase it out of the house.

An hour later the thing had ceased movement. I left it there for most of the day, hoping it would revive, but it did not. I took a couple pics and am wondering how to get this mounted and framed in remembrance of my wife.

dfy1.jpg dfy2.jpg

smokey-seven - I think they call them shadow boxes . A small dab of glue should hold it in place if mounting on the wall.

Took my walk through the forest today and saw a small doe , then an eastern wood turtle, and as i round a corner , a flash of white runs and jumps straight from me and then darts to the left maybe 30yds out. I thought wow, that white goat ran fast and jumped pretty darn high. I stop in my tracks and slap my face, rub my eyes, and slap my face again. It was a unicorn of unicorns, a freakin piebald deer!

Driving around The Mouse this week. Sunset-ish. 2 bucks grazing on the side of the road. We even stopped and took video. One 6pt. One 8pt. Both smaller than a yearling doe in N/E. Lol

We saw them several times. And saw some fawns around as well. Antlers were still in velvet on the bucks.

Mark Twain said: Adam was but human–this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake

Then apple was at the root of the original sin. Today 90% of sin starts off with an Iphone conversation, thus the apple is still the cause.

Wife had an avid interest in dragon flies. In summer, when the kids were small, she would go out with a pocketful of tooth picks. She would rescue live damsel flies from spider webs and clean the web off with the tooth pick to the point that the damsel fly would fly off her finger.

Having a degree in earth science, years ago, she wanted the premier book on dragon flies. I got it for her on her birthday, was a whopping $350. I still have clip on plastic dragon flies around the house. She passed a couple years back.

Yesterday, being a cold snap, I left the house early to take the barrels out. There on the rear porch was a massive dragon fly looking like it was dead. After the chores, I picked it up and brought it into the house. I set it on a paper towel on the kitchen table. It started to move after a bit, wings fluttered, legs moved, body arched and I watched it for a bit. I poured my coffee and went back to the computer wondering if I would have to chase it out of the house.

An hour later the thing had ceased movement. I left it there for most of the day, hoping it would revive, but it did not. I took a couple pics and am wondering how to get this mounted and framed in remembrance of my wife.

View attachment 392357View attachment 392360

My condolence on the loss of your wife. Mine just hates all bugs!! This was in Maine a few weeks back around Labor Day. I thought I’d was dead, but it finally flew off after a couple hours

41B628A8-391C-462C-AF52-ABC24330D62D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom