• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

Have a trail cam set up in the back yard.

Had a deer move through the other night, nothing else.
Haven't seen shit but crows and small birds in weeks.

Edit: Oh, canada geese, so many f***ing canada geese.

Last edited:
I was out back fishing last night sitting on the dock. I caught a bunch of small pickerel and 1 small bass. The water was mirror still, it was warm out and I was having good night. I was looking at the water and saw an image of a large bird, looked up and was staring at bald eagle about 40 feet over my head, he flew to the end of the pond and over the trees. We don't see many eagles around here so I was just standing there thinking about what I just saw when 2 black birds chased the eagle back toward the North river. Very Cool, sorry no pictures I was watching.

I've been watching a Northern Harrier hunting over my fields. It flies about 5-6 feet off the ground and will suddenly dive at something on the ground. Cool thing to watch. Also have a pair of Sparrow Hawks hanging around.

Had a bear in the back yard on Tuesday, I hope that it doesn't get comfortable ....

Bobcat look at the short tail
Agree, but he said tail is curved to left, I think it’s debris on ground but he has pic of fox in same spot and no sticks or debris.
we had neighbors find two buried deer, partially eaten. One when rototilling his garden another behind a garage. That’s what has his mind racing. I told him a bobcat or bear will do that. Doubt it’s a bear as no one has seen one.
im sticking to Bobcat.

went back to see how bad the snow was. got within 20 feet and hear the chicks chirping, mom flew off and i could see that the chicks were scattered. two found some protection under a dropped limb, so i moved the other two with them ( from marks in snow it looked like she was trying to get them together) and put some pine over them. mom came back after about 10 minutes. hope these little guys get through today. got within 40 feet of two deer on way back, super quiet walking and visibility is 100 feet

IMG_4569.jpg IMG_4571.jpg

Saw this guy driving around a couple days ago, hatfield/northampton area. He didnt care that i stopped my car about 20 feet away from him. Just wandered around someones yard for a few minutes while i watched him and then walked off into some woods.

Attachments

• 3D91FCAF-A848-454B-B23B-4FAC7E57E6FD.jpeg
    3D91FCAF-A848-454B-B23B-4FAC7E57E6FD.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 17
Yeah. Good and bad, eh? Depends on the day. And the year. We get some years we are COVERED in mayflies. Other years we see none. Ditto for those little black things that hatch from the water that the flycatchers swoop in on.

My daughter saw a fisher cat in the back yard today. She thought it was a mink and then realized it was WAAAY too big . . . . THEN She came downstairs to tell us all after it had moved too deep into the woods. LOL

The river association put up a nest sights some years ago but hd no takers. It seems the pandemic has kept people away enough to have an ofspey set up a nest. I'll bring a better camera next time I'm out for a walk. fullsizeoutput_2989.jpeg

I was out scout new deer spots when I heard two bard owls fighting with a group of crows. They were all going crazy. I made my way over to see the commotion. I was just about to leave when I noticed 10 yds away this pretty big, baby bard owl. I don’t think it could fly but did not look injured.

Attachments

• 3621F796-C593-476E-B174-D4EAF0015E6B.jpeg
    3621F796-C593-476E-B174-D4EAF0015E6B.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 78ED43A8-284C-420A-9D2E-9847A424FF92.jpeg
    78ED43A8-284C-420A-9D2E-9847A424FF92.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 9
Let's see...
  • Lots of bluejays and cardinals recently.
  • Great horned and barred owls have been swapping spots in my yard with a huge turkey vulture.
  • Deer walk through all the time.
  • Haven't seen the turkeys in a few months.
  • Rabbits are nesting either in my yard or my neighbor's.
  • Saw a couple of coyotes last week. One of them was pretty huge.
  • Wife saw a fisher recently.
Not too bad for metrowest.

Back
Top Bottom