• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

I was ambushed by Black-capped Chickadees this morning. One landing on my head, another taking a perch on my nocked arrow.

I always enjoyed all the birds while on stand. I always carried bird seed in my pockets and would sprinkle it around the stand as well as on my clothing. I used a hat that would hold seed and loved it when the Chickadees would flip upside down off the brim and stare into my eyes. Birds are the BEST camouflage, they prove that you are not a human waiting for deer. I will never forget the day a Chickadee lit on the muzzle of my 12 GA and looked down into the barrel.

It was 32 degrees out at 4am here on the south shore. Opened the back door to let my deaf old dog out and as usual brought a flashlight up to scan the perimeter of the yard for hungry eyes. Before I had the light raised 4 deer that were standing maybe 20’ from my door scattered. Hooves stomping like crazy and the dog didn’t even notice.

They usually move through the yard at night when winter hits but this seemed early in the season. I had noticed chewed off maple and other branches in the past few weeks so I guess they’re hungry. The new development in the (former) woods across the street might also be pressuring them.

Kind of saw two flying squirrels. Something zipped by me two different nights in a row, landing on tree trunks. The first time I just heard is skittering up the tree. The second I heard its squeaking like a chipmunk or squirrel, which solidified to me what it was. Didn't know they glided that fast. It was just a little black dot zipping by overhead. The movement caught my eye. Thought it was a bat at first until the skittering fast up the tree sound and the squeaking noises. Plus bats usually don't head in a straight line.

Out at dawn Sunday by a small creek feeding a larger creek in SoNH. Four ducks paddle up, climb out and waddle over to eat the ferns next to me and waddle back. Later, i’m watching a few squirrels gamboling from branch to branch 25yd to my right - there’s a jet black one too - and I hear those ducks again on my left. It’s actually mature doe passing me 15yd away. She jumped the small creek and got behind shrubbery before I could up my muzzleloader. As she crossed behind heavy trees, she popped her head up and looked almost directly at me but must have been looking at a 2nd doe behind me. I froze as I heard a slow crunch of leaves getting closer. I was hoping she’d pass for a shot but she backed up and around the low creek bank, out of sight.

That’s a lot a of game really close that all got away!

I always enjoyed all the birds while on stand. I always carried bird seed in my pockets and would sprinkle it around the stand as well as on my clothing. I used a hat that would hold seed and loved it when the Chickadees would flip upside down off the brim and stare into my eyes. Birds are the BEST camouflage, they prove that you are not a human waiting for deer. I will never forget the day a Chickadee lit on the muzzle of my 12 GA and looked down into the barrel.

You reminded me of the time that I was crow hunting in the spring, I had a hummingbird zero in on the crow-call speaker. That was cool, but it was time to quit.

I think I posted this before, so call the dupe police if I did.

I was deer hunting and picked a spot to sit and wait for the deer to walk by. I always carry bird seed in my coat pockets and spread a little around to attract birds. I sit still for hours and the birds close back into the area after only a few minutes of me being still. They light on my shoulder, hat, sit on my knees an look at me straight in the eye. I know they know I'm a person, but I obviously am not threatening, so they just go about their business like I was not there.

After a half hour or so and thoroughly enjoying the chickadee that would light on the brim of my hat and hang over the edge to look me in the eye, I heard a squeak off to my right. I slowly turned my head and saw nothing, but kept my eyes in that direction.

A few minutes went by and from a small hole, out popped a field mouse. He stood on hind legs, looked at me, squeaked again and disappeared back into his home. Over the period of the next hour, he would venture out further and further until after multiple attempts, he made it all the 6 feet from his hole and about 2 feet away from me. At that location, there was a white button mushroom that he commenced to gnaw on. It took some time but eventually the mushroom stem was cut through and it dropped like a felled tree. He squeaked and ran for home again.

Shortly, looking quite worried that his prize may get away, he came back and hauled his mushy back to his hole. He had a problem. The cap of the mushy was too large to go into the hole. A few minutes work and he had cut it into pieces and packed it away inside.

I sprinkled a few seeds near where the mushroom was taken and sure enough he was back shortly to discover his new found treasure. He packed his mouth full and returned home while I placed a pinch more seeds at the mushroom base. He made three trips with my seeds and I called it quits and did not put any more down.

The next time he returned he looked quite confused, stood up on hind legs and looked me straight in the eye, squeaked and ran back to his hole. I took it as a complaint that he was out of seed, but I did not put any more down. A minute went by and he came out of his hole, but he was backwards, dragging a piece of mushroom. He picked it up and came back over to me and put it down. He was NEGOTIATING!

I put down some seed and he even stayed there while I did that and then filled his mouth and went back home. I took his mushroom offering.

Saw some rather hardcore rutting activity today. On the evening hunt at about 3:00 a brushy swamp I was hunting downwind of blew up and 3 good sized bucks came running out, tail between their legs. They were running away from what sounded like a grunting and snort wheezing bulldozer trampling through the swamp. I only got a glimpse at the animal they were running from through some very thick cover. For the next 2 hours he want on grunting, snort wheezing, and trampling around the woods, making it known he owned the place. Sounded like he made or freshened up a scrape and worked a rub during this time. But I couldn't see to be sure. I grunted a few times at him, threw a snort wheeze back at him, but he wasn't coming out of the cover.

A small spike came in from the south about 30 minutes to closing. I passed on a couple of chip shots. He eventually got downwind of me and I watched him do the nose lick and head bob for 5 minutes. But he never blew or stomped or ran off. Young bucks really are dumb. He hung around to dark. Just after the buzzer, Mr. Big decided to vacate the brushy swamp and come into my area. I heard the spike go running for his life. I never got to set eyes on him - it was just too dark. But I did just make out some white from his hindquarters at about 15 yards as he walked by. After he left I got down and hiked out. I did get a look at his track on the way out. Now I'm a small dude but it was wider than 4 of my fingers.

Hopefully, I can figure out where he'll be tomorrow. Won't be the same spot - I'm pretty confident of that. But I'll be back at it.

I think I posted this before, so call the dupe police if I did.

I was deer hunting and picked a spot to sit and wait for the deer to walk by. I always carry bird seed in my coat pockets and spread a little around to attract birds. I sit still for hours and the birds close back into the area after only a few minutes of me being still. They light on my shoulder, hat, sit on my knees an look at me straight in the eye. I know they know I'm a person, but I obviously am not threatening, so they just go about their business like I was not there.

After a half hour or so and thoroughly enjoying the chickadee that would light on the brim of my hat and hang over the edge to look me in the eye, I heard a squeak off to my right. I slowly turned my head and saw nothing, but kept my eyes in that direction.

A few minutes went by and from a small hole, out popped a field mouse. He stood on hind legs, looked at me, squeaked again and disappeared back into his home. Over the period of the next hour, he would venture out further and further until after multiple attempts, he made it all the 6 feet from his hole and about 2 feet away from me. At that location, there was a white button mushroom that he commenced to gnaw on. It took some time but eventually the mushroom stem was cut through and it dropped like a felled tree. He squeaked and ran for home again.

Shortly, looking quite worried that his prize may get away, he came back and hauled his mushy back to his hole. He had a problem. The cap of the mushy was too large to go into the hole. A few minutes work and he had cut it into pieces and packed it away inside.

I sprinkled a few seeds near where the mushroom was taken and sure enough he was back shortly to discover his new found treasure. He packed his mouth full and returned home while I placed a pinch more seeds at the mushroom base. He made three trips with my seeds and I called it quits and did not put any more down.

The next time he returned he looked quite confused, stood up on hind legs and looked me straight in the eye, squeaked and ran back to his hole. I took it as a complaint that he was out of seed, but I did not put any more down. A minute went by and he came out of his hole, but he was backwards, dragging a piece of mushroom. He picked it up and came back over to me and put it down. He was NEGOTIATING!

I put down some seed and he even stayed there while I did that and then filled his mouth and went back home. I took his mushroom offering.

About a decade ago, a buddy of mine on a cigar group had a similar situation. . . with a momma bear and cubs.

He was squirrel hunting in Maine (I think). He was hunkered with his back to a big glacier-dropped rock just waiting. All camo'd out.

He hears noise behind him. Slowly over an hour he's got a momma bear and 2 cubs wandering around him. She scents him - STARES at him, but can't see him so never does anything. She's pissed but can't figure out if he's close or far. Just that she smells him. He was completely motionless for all that time. Then they wandered off, he crapped his pants and left. A .22 was no match for a momma bear.

I hadn't thought of that story in years until I read yours. LOL

Went out for my first squirrel hunt today. Didn’t see a damn squirrel. But there are 5 of them in my bird feeders. But I did see 3 does and a 8 or 10 point buck chasing 2 of them. Video was to large to post.

Out scouting, seeing as this is my first year. Learning a lot and seeing some cool stuff. This was in the woods behind my house. a small area I could hunt and might try. I will only get 2 Saturdays to go shotgun hunting. Found trails in the grass. a couple of beds maybe. Not a definite trail into the woods but the pile of poop with what looked like a path. these scrapes and a really good rub.

Attachments

• scout1.jpg
    scout1.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 30
  • scout2.jpg
    scout2.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 31
  • scout3.jpg
    scout3.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 30
Four of five bluejays chasing one another around the yard over the weekend. I have not seen that many together in years.

Back
Top Bottom