• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

Just took this a couple of minutes ago. In my food plot, but it's way too warm to hang one. I have 5 tags this year.View attachment 306918

It takes me about 1/2 hour to skin and quarter and ice a deer in a one of those large ocean chest coolers.

To warm is generally not a problem as long as you make a good shot.

Ill then let the quarters sit on ice a few days and finish the job on a weekend.

Gets the meat killing out of the way early so I can focus on rutting bucks.

It takes me about 1/2 hour to skin and quarter and ice a deer in a one of those large ocean chest coolers.

To warm is generally not a problem as long as you make a good shot.

Ill then let the quarters sit on ice a few days and finish the job on a weekend.

Gets the meat killing out of the way early so I can focus on rutting bucks.
Nice and fast. Do you use the golf ball technique or a similar quick pull via winches or some type of vehicle for the skinning?

This morning about 0930 I decided to take a ride around my property. I went to a trail that goes off into the woods along my neighbor's fence line.
I got about 100 feet down the trail and looking off into the woods down into a hollow I saw a very large, 8 point buck laying down in a sunny patch where the morning sun was coming through the upper canopy of trees beside a flowing spring. He was about 50yds in so I stopped and shut the motor off and just sat there quietly staring at him and he at me for about ten minutes. He looked around a couple of times, returning his attention to me. After another couple of minutes he got up and walked casually further into the woods out of my sight.

I'll be placing a camera looking at that location from the hillside where I was sitting. Hopefully he'll return and I can get some pics of him.

Heard something last night, and it wasn't the two packs of 20+20 coyotes. I think it was the bobcat family splitting up and choosing who gets what territory.

Also, saw a bald eagle this morning flying down along Stafford Street heading directly towards downtown Worcester.

Daughter busted our resident momma-and-babies deer going to her car this AM at about 7:50. She was munching on some of hte neighbor's hostas. Momma freaked. Daughter freaked.

Still not as funny as the morning the older daughter (who is a bit high strung) busted a gaggle of turkeys in the side yard. Not sure which made more noise running/flying away. LOL

Was up in the North Maine Woods last week grouse hunting (birds were very sparse) and saw two very nice bull moose from about 30 yards, two different days, two different areas.
They both presented nice side profiles, and were in no hurry to get away.
Lucky for them we didn't have moose permits.

So no post in the "Post your deer" thread, eh? :(

Nope. The nature of the spot means I can only hunt it once a year too. When he comes back through there he'll know I was there and bed somewhere else. He'll know he's hunted now too. He'll still move during the day during the rut but it just got a lot harder to get on this specific deer anyway. He was a brute.

I Had two does under the stand Wednesday evening. Saw a real good buck last night(tall and wide)crossing a street in Andover along the power lines around 7ish. And a friend captured a nice 8 in a neighbors yard middle of the day on video. Time to be in the woods.

2 does when turkey hunting in MA. One RUN by at 10 yards...the other froze broad side at 25 yards for a while trying to figure out what I was.... ;^)

Headed out for an evening sit, and bumped something large-ish in the brush on the way to the stand. Later that evening... My first deer of the season spotted. A doe, 40 yards out. I'm confident at 40. Figuring she'll head towards me along a game trail, I wait for a more betterer shot. Nope. She stays *just* inside some shrubbery while making her way towards and then past me. Just as well, as later I spotted the second deer of the season, in tow behind her. Never heard them creeping at all.

Saw Mr Big on a targeted bed hunt today. Just 10 yards too far, and a couple of branches too thick. Had to watch him walk...
I’d be interested in meeting Mr. Big but only during the month of December this year. I’ve heard he can be quite aloof during that time.

Saw an 8 point behind the house today making a scrape. Saw 2, full grown, bald eagles eating road kill on Second Crown Point Rd last week in Strafford NH on my way to work. Had to honk the horn to get them off the road. They both glared at me before flying off.

Last edited:
Rt 138 near the Somerset/Dighton line - Broad Cove. HUGE bird on teh side of hte road. Looked turkey-ish but the head was completely black. Any ideas??? Very strange. Just standing there. Long tail. Dark coloring. Dark head. I'd have said turkey vulture but DAMN if it didn't have a pretty ass long tail on it.

Oh, and the coyotes got a fawn. Down to momma and one baby in the neighborhood.

image-11.jpg

Rt 138 near the Somerset/Dighton line - Broad Cove. HUGE bird on teh side of hte road. Looked turkey-ish but the head was completely black. Any ideas??? Very strange. Just standing there. Long tail. Dark coloring. Dark head. I'd have said turkey vulture but DAMN if it didn't have a pretty ass long tail on it.

Oh, and the coyotes got a fawn. Down to momma and one baby in the neighborhood.

Black Vulture?

20191101_130541.jpg
It's funny: you think you know a patch of woods or what might be in the neighborhood, then this guy shows up out of nowhere.
How many points?

Black Vulture?

Probably not. Longer tail than a vulture/crow. Wife thought it might be some sort of rare turkey someone had as a pet in the area and it wandered. It seemed pretty clueless. Scavengers bolt when a car comes. This just sort of sat there. Strange to be sure.

View attachment 310285
It's funny: you think you know a patch of woods or what might be in the neighborhood, then this guy shows up out of nowhere.
How many points?
It's the rut. Deer travel very very far during the rut. That guy could be here today and 5 miles away tomorrow. Those travel patterns are actually what makes them a little easier to hunt. You can't ambush them unless they're moving. And they move far during the rut. And during the day. this is why so many people plan their vacation time around it.

Back
Top Bottom