What have you seen lately?

Dragonflies mating. I was trying to finish sheathing the south side of the barn and they kept getting in my way. I was quite impressed as their mating session lasted over an hour. View attachment 301015
I hope this doesn't get me banned.

Wow. I always thought I was Irish and Polish. I guess I'm part dragonfly. Who knew? LOL

Saw another juvenile loon on Assawompset. Along with the first pair (I think only 1), that makes at least 6 of them. My wife tried to get pix. She went out fishing with me and we spent an hour trying to get a shot.

He did this thing where he sort of shivered and just sank straight down like a sub. It was a trip. Very UNlike a cormorant that dives. He just shuddered and was gone. Then he'd pop back up completely vertical. Like he was never swimming at all.

Came in from a successful morning of fishing and a green heron was fishing on my beach. He was too hungry to leave so watched him for about 20 min. It was cool. He’d scrunch up looking like a sandpiper then he’d use his whole neck to grab fish going by in the shallows.

It was funny coming in. I’m color blind but better than 20/20. ‘“Hon, what’s that on the shore?”

“A rock.”

“I don’t think so.” Then he pounced. Lol

Have you tried the glasses that let you see color?

They don't work. They just shift color. You can't make up more receptors in the eyes. It's a parlor trick.

They are nice to see some gradient differences at times. But I don't go "OMG that's GREEN! And that's RED! Oh the joy!" I'll never see color like I should. But my eyes are fast, they pick up motion excellently (which is common to color blind - you have more motion than color sight), and I have an amazing sense of center/plumb/level. I can't have it all.

On Sunday pulling the boat (sadness) we saw an Osprey hunting on the lake. As we were packing it in around noon, two eagles were fighting over the trees just beyond our house. Just saw flashes of them and some loud eagle-squaking.

you have more motion than color sight

Years back color blind could not get in the military. That's changed, they allow them now, just cut some restrictions as to what their job can be. While speaking about color deficiency with an ophthalmologist, he told me that the sniper programs actually seek out these people due to their acuity in seeing minor motions at distances.

I was reading my Kindle in bed last night around midnight. A light goes on outside. Then a minute later goes off. I live in a very safe neighborhood, but I'm a paranoid F'er. So I get up and go to the window.

There is a dog in the neighbor's yard next door. Hmmm. Then another one seems to be crossing the cul-de-sac. . . . wait. Those are DEERS!!!

It was a momma and 2 kids. They were reasonable size. She was freaking HUGE!!!! I mean, I'd be considering a fall doe hunt but I won't separate those kids from momma. She'd feed us for years, possibly. GIGANTIC!

Wife looks, "Damn. Imagine that with antlers." "I KNOW!" LOL

They cleaned out my neighbor's hostas and then headed to next to our BR to eat some things my wife planted there.

Wife finally got me pix of the heron. He let us get pretty close. Not like blue herons who take off pretty quickly and sound like Pterodactyls.

image-9.jpg

Saw a deer chomping some hostas in someone's front yard today... Right at mid day and on a busy street no less.
I’m seeing that from time to time too but this is the first time I’ve seen them while scouting. Probably not the best time to do so and this plot is east of 190, a prime area to hunt this year.

Hmmm you must be in NH
Indeed.

Coyotes have wiped out a lot of the turkey population for my turkey-hunting friends down in Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, and Missouri.

I tell them to to just come up here and drive the roads with a landing net hanging out the passenger window. The turkeys are grazing right up to the white line, here.

Got the old girl out for likely her last season. 13 y.o. cocker, who's mostly deaf and has developed a heat murmur that's being treated with medication. The grandson walked alongside, and the pointer is out there in the grass someplace. We put up one woodcock during our hike.
timber.png

Got the old girl out for likely her last season. 13 y.o. cocker, who's mostly deaf and has developed a heat murmur that's being treated with medication. The grandson walked alongside,

Remember the sparkling spider webs in the dawn of morning.
Remember the sounds of cackles and wings.
Remember the sharp turns as the scent changes.
Remember the pride in the eyes of the dog when all went well.
Remember when the dog was big and the kids were small.
Remember......

Just took this a couple of minutes ago. In my food plot, but it's way too warm to hang one. I have 5 tags this year.foodplotdoes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom