What have you seen lately?

Fishing at Myles Standish the other day on ride in turkeys everywhere, doe, coyote, turtles sunning and 2 trout, rainbow & brook - catch and release.

No pix, but my wife is part of a Diamondback Terrapin tagging in the greater Taunton River Basin project. They have traps, but she's getting good enough that she can grab them by hand. Cool looking turtles.

Do some deer smell bad? Do they fire up their stink glands for certain times of the year (mating, etc.)? I run up on deer in the woods pretty regularly and with some of them I'd swear I can smell them well before I get there. Just a real heavy, musky odor.

No pix. Spent the weekend at the lake. Heard the Lakeville loons, saw the herons, had an osprey flash over us at the fire pit last night.

No freaking fish, though. They aren't where they are supposed to be. LOL. They didn't get the memo. 2 days of hard fishing, about 6 fish to show for it. :(. Hoping the lily pads are full up by July 4.

Heck, we even had 3 snappers fishing near the shore last night. Popping up to breathe. I haven't seen a snapping turtle IN the water yet while fishing. Usually I'll bump one or two big ones (12-20" shells) while hitting the shallows. Nothing this year. Strange.

I was taking couple friend's over to show them an eagles nest with two juvies. Got there and the juvies were there but the nest was gone. The nest was as big as my boat but must have gotten blown away in a storm. It was there last week...
upload_2019-6-24_13-6-37.png

Don't worry they are generally safe :)

View attachment 290429
I saw 2 bears shortly after posting that lol. Luckily they were several hundred feet below me crossing a glacier traveling in the opposite direction. My first time seeing them outside of Clark's trading post. I also saw my first marmot. And some type of mountain sheep or goat or ram.

Driving to the job in Webster yesterday morning and had a coyote cross the road in front of me. Coming home the same way I had a mink cross the same road, 5 or so miles later had a fisher run across the road in front of me. This much activity isn't unusual this time of year, everything is feeding a litter of somethings, it's a constant demand and the parents get no rest.

This morning I had a doe and a fawn dart across the road in front of me in Douglas.

Have a turkey making its home near our house.

thumbnail

Last edited:
Yesterday leaving work i saw a deer laying down in the. Field I’ve been watching. I went back to try to get a picture but couldn’t get a good focus. I pulled out the binoculars and jumped in the bed of the truck to get a little higher vantage point and the notice the spots. She a fawn with her. Got to get binoculars with built in digital camera. Watched her for about 5 minutes before she saw me and then they both ran off.

And this morning a fox ran across the road in front of me.

Snapper, I assume. (Not a good turdul identifier. If I see one in the road near my house, it's always a spotted, in the lake is ALWAYS a snapping, my wife traps diamondback terrapins for tagging in the Taunton in the Dighton/Somerset area.)

So what's the deal with turtles? There was a week maybe a month or so ago where I was running into them walking around on land. Some big Fers too, and not really all that close to any bodies of water. A couple of painted turtles and some snappers. I took my oldest son out for a hike and we saw a couple of the painted ones, and when my middle boy saw the pictures of big bro holding a turtle he got all butthurt so I wanted to show him too, but haven't been able to find any that weren't out in the middle of a lake.

Do these things only walk around on land (i.e. where we can get at them) during a part of the year, when they're laying eggs or something?

Last edited:
Not sure but only Jesus turtles walk on water. The rest walk only on land. ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist. They can live in pretty small bodies of water. The "pond" near my house where I see them is probably 50' by 75'. It's a hole. That's where we see the painted. But we see them elsewhere in the neighborhood not really near the pond. Always seems to be the warmest time of the year.

My neighbor at the lake has a female that lays eggs in her garden every year. A while later, a pile of snapping babies head lake-side. Same spot in the garden every year for at least the last 6-7 years. I'll have to check if she's been by.

So what's the deal with turtles? There was a week maybe a month or so ago where I was running into them walking around on land. Some big Fers too, and not really all that that close to any bodies of water. A couple of painted turtles and some snappers. I took my oldest son out for a hike and we saw a couple of the painted ones, and when my middle boy saw the pictures of big bro holding a turtle he got all butthurt so I wanted to show him too, but haven't been able to find any that weren't out in the middle of a lake.

Do these things only walk around on land (i.e. where we can get at them) during a part of the year, when they're laying eggs or something?
From what I've Been Told turtles will go wandering looking for new ponds when there are too many turtles in the pond that they currently inhabit. If it were and especially large hatch of eggs and the pond is low the turtles may go looking for more food. Some turtles just have an adventurous spirit and go exploring like the Vikings. It is probably more common to occur once a group of turtles reaches adolescence. You know how adolescents can be "FU Ma! I'm a big turtle in a small pond! I'm going to seek my fame and fortune! Peace out!"

Not sure but only Jesus turtles walk on water. The rest walk only on land. ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist. They can live in pretty small bodies of water. The "pond" near my house where I see them is probably 50' by 75'. It's a hole. That's where we see the painted. But we see them elsewhere in the neighborhood not really near the pond. Always seems to be the warmest time of the year.

My neighbor at the lake has a female that lays eggs in her garden every year. A while later, a pile of snapping babies head lake-side. Same spot in the garden every year for at least the last 6-7 years. I'll have to check if she's been by.

Could you FedEx me one of the babies if you see one? Kthx.

Some turtles just have an adventurous spirit and go exploring like the Vikings. It is probably more common to occur once a group of turtles reaches adolescence. You know how adolescents can be "FU Ma! I'm a big turtle in a small pond! I'm going to seek my fame and fortune! Peace out!"

Did you cut and paste this from wikipedia?

Back
Top Bottom