What have you seen lately?

Coyotes are getting awful wolfy the last few days. I was out on teh porch in Lakeville yesterday AM. Lone coyote howling like a wolf. Then later in the afternoon, the pack was in the swamp behind the house.

Last night around 9, back at home in Taunton. A COUPLE of coyotes howling like wolves.

?????

Sat AM fishing was great. Osprey fishing. Loon fishing. Busted an otter in the weeds accidentally who was. . . . fishing.

So there are two birds nests in the dogwood in my back yard. Both of them have fledglings, a robin and i believe a cardinal. So yesterday one of the robin fledglings is out of the nest but is in no way old enough to make it on its own. I figure it's mother kicked it out and i don't think much more a out it.
A few minutes later my 9 yo daughter, K, sees it and says that we need to help it. How, i say, we are not raising a bird in the house nor am i willing to chew up worms to feed it.
K suggests that i wear gloves and return it to the nest but the nest is too high and too deep in the branches for me to do so safely. Then she suggested that we build a new nest and set it as high as possible in the tree and the robins will find it and care for it. I doubt that this will work but to humor her we give it a try. We get a small wicker basket and line it with leaves and grass, put the fledgling in it and stick it in a crotch in the branches.
Today we set up near the tree and waited very quietly just like when we go hunting. Well the plan worked and we watched for about an hour while the robins fed both nests, theirs with the three fledglings and ours with the one rescue.
It was a good day to be a dad.

Crappy pic through the door, but mom and her two fawns have been hanging around for awhile.

IMG-1404.jpg

I was out getting the Shhhhmoker ready for some chickums yesterday around noon. One of our local Osprey decided the bluegill just off shore at the house was a much needed mid-day snack. I didn't see the drop. I just heard the commotion and saw him/her flying away with lunchicums. Had to be 50' from me. LOL. You forget how big osprey are when they fly b/c they are never nearby.

11:10 am today.
And I have still yet, after all these years, seen one in person. I get to "see" them on the camera, period! Not while driving the area at specific times trying to see them, nothing. It's a running joke at this point as everyone else has seen them multiple times.
A68DB9CA-7904-4505-836D-7465D53355E0.jpeg

Fishing from the beach near a tidal river this morning at low tide, three deer were in the rocks across the river. I didn't notice them until they were making their way back up to the well manicured laws of the bluff above. There's nothing but seaweed covered rocks where they were.

Back
Top Bottom