What have you seen lately?

9 hen turkeys walked down the middle of my street this morning. In a straight line. No toms in the group. Getting excited for the opening of turkey season.

Red wing blackbirds are back in the marshes......went for a hike with the wife yesterday and a vernal pool was loaded with croaking frogs. Hundreds of em. Springs back.

Thursday afternoon my 4yo son was playing in the yard after a hard day of preschool. My wife was on phone inside. He came to the deck slider and looked nervous. He got in and waited for mommy to ask him what was up, she could tell he wanted to say something. ‘Mommy, there’s a bear outside ‘. She at first didn’t believe him, but after taking a walk to the area in question there were fresh bear tracks right near where he was playing.

My son is a brown-belt in karate. In order to go for advanced brown in 6 months, he needs to be able to run 3 miles in 30 min.

Anyhow, about 8am on Sunday we headed over to the track behind Dighton town hall. On our way down, we saw an osprey at the nest behind some old industrial building on the way.

On the way back, we saw one on the ground near the road. It was pretty cool. Just sitting on the road. You forget how big they are b/c they rarely get too close. It should be called a Sea Eagle, not a Sea Hawk. Hyuuuuuj!!!!!

Anyhow, we see a lot of them in the Dighton area due to the Taunton River and the #'s of nesting sites. But this was our first spotting of the season and seeing him/her on the ground nearby was cool. I even backed the truck up as my son said, "Osprey. On the ground!! DAD!" LOL

MrsA and I recently watch three Bald Eagles flying in Essex, very cool to watch.

My street crosses a culvert/stream, there has been a beaver problem there for a couple seasons now. My neighbor pulls out their work, they build it back again, over and over.
Last night as I was crossing the culvert, I sat and watched that bastid beaver packing mud and sticks about ten feet from me, swimming back and forth, giving zero f**cks.
Cool to see in the wild, but not when they're trying to flood your only way in and out.

Bobcats seem to make a yearly appearance around here, Chelmsford area. Neighbors think I'm seeing things and have told me it must be a fisher cat, lol. Anyone else from Chelmsford?

Black bears once or twice a year. Turkeys, deer, and the normal wildlife. Pretty cool considering we aren't in the wilderness, per se.

OMG there is SO much nature here. We saw several pods of dolphins yesterday and today. All kinds of sea birds, ducks, geese, flocks of turkeys, songbirds, hummingbirds, and raptors & hawks are around. Today we saw four of the famous outer banks wild horses, roaming freely on bird shoal over in Beaufort. You just need a boat to get over there.

I think we've had robins all Winter long, but more since around Valentine's Day.

Had 5 deer in the back yard two weeks ago. Various foxes and coyotes, as usual.

Saw an owl the size of a garbage can Friday night. It flew behind the car ahead of me and in front of my car. Pretty cool.

Coyote Saturday evening around 8 in Hingham. Ran in front of my truck as I was leaving the lot for Bare Cove Park. We've got a large pack of em in there. I hear them across the marsh frequently if they have caught something going nutso. Needless to say I warn everyone with a 50lb or less size dog to keep them leashed.

SCHNAAAAAAPPPPPING.....

That's the call that would go throughout the house whenever the Big Momma Snapper would surface on the lake. Kids, wife and I would sing out that call when we saw any snappers on the surface.

Today was the first day I've seen Big Momma since last year. She digs holes in my yard to lay her eggs and
I don't mind!

Go to 1:20 for, "I don't mind!" Phil Collins or just listen to it all :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRY1NG1P_kw

I saw a muskrat, a big but not that dark northern water snake sunning itself and a few turdlez of unknown make and model wandering around and sunning themselves last week. . . . in Missouri. LOL. The snake was the coolest. It had to be close to 4' long. Fat. But not dark at all like you'd expect around here. I guess in a more temperate area he/she can grow more consistently and get to a bigger size earlier in the life-cycle. Just like how you can't easily grow a trophy LMB in Massachusetts.

My son is a brown-belt in karate. In order to go for advanced brown in 6 months, he needs to be able to run 3 miles in 30 min.

Anyhow, about 8am on Sunday we headed over to the track behind Dighton town hall. On our way down, we saw an osprey at the nest behind some old industrial building on the way.

On the way back, we saw one on the ground near the road. It was pretty cool. Just sitting on the road. You forget how big they are b/c they rarely get too close. It should be called a Sea Eagle, not a Sea Hawk. Hyuuuuuj!!!!!

Anyhow, we see a lot of them in the Dighton area due to the Taunton River and the #'s of nesting sites. But this was our first spotting of the season and seeing him/her on the ground nearby was cool. I even backed the truck up as my son said, "Osprey. On the ground!! DAD!" LOL

Walked out the door last year (maybe two years ago?) and saw this guy in a tree. Nearest water is 10 miles away.

IMG_0182.JPG

Walked out the door last year (maybe two years ago?) and saw this guy in a tree. Nearest water is 10 miles away.

View attachment 282788
Looks like a red tailed hawk. Had one that used to hang out in my yard. Would land on tree branches near me and just chill while i worked in the yard.

Not too smart though. Swooped down on some road kill and became road kill. ☹

Looks like a red tailed hawk. Had one that used to hang out in my yard. Would land on tree branches near me and just chill while i worked in the yard.

Not too smart though. Swooped down on some road kill and became road kill. ☹
You are right; that's not the picture I was looking for. Somewhere I have an osprey that landed in a tree outside my house.

Back
Top Bottom