• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

This is not recent but qualifies as something I saw.

It was early fall. Late September and the weather had been sunny and warm for a week. I bought a bag of peanuts in the shell and opened my kitchen window next to the table. I put a few peanuts on the outside window sill as the Bluejays had been working the yard quite hard for a couple days.

When I spotted one, I’d toss a peanut down to the yard and after a couple times the Jay lit on the window sill and took a nut. Sure enough he was back in a few minutes and took another. I refilled the window and went out front to watch what the Jay was doing. He had exited the window in the same direction each time.

On his next trip, he flew past me and landed in a window planter a few houses up the street. He stuck the peanut into the soil in the box and returned for another.

I went back to my window and put down a few more peanuts, but this time I moved them inside the window and put them on the inside window ledge. It was only a nine inch move but I had been sitting at the table and the bird would have to come a little closer, within a few feet of me.

Over the next week, there were a few birds eating my peanuts every morning. I would move the peanuts further inside each day and eventually, by the end of the week, I had them hopping down the full length of a six foot table while I sat right there only a couple feet away. They would show up before I opened the window and wait for me to open it. I kept a pile of peanuts on the other end of the table and would have fun for a half hour each day it was warm.

I was feeding the Jays one Sunday morning and had a newspaper open and a coffee on the table. The Jays were so used to this now that they would hop on and over the paper and stuff at least 2 nuts in their mouths and if they tried hard, they would take three at a time.

My hunting buddy showed up, walked in and spotted the peanuts. It was after eleven am and he asked if I had any beer. I said “Sure, grab one for me as well.” So he popped two tops and sat down as we proceeded to open peanut shells, drink beer and discuss opening day of Pheasant season. You can see where this is going.

It didn’t take long and a Jay lit on the window sill. Being a hunter, my buddy just froze and his eyes went to the bird but he did not move. The Jay checked him out, looked over at me and hopped the length of the table between me and my buddy, took a couple nuts and hopped back to the window and flew away. He looked over at me, shook his head and said, “Only in your house.” and laughed.

We got a few more shows before the peanuts ran out. I would hit the store that day for restock.

Last edited:
That's what anti hunting causes. Now try to keep the deer from eating your shrubbery and the turkey stalling traffic and the Coyote eating the neighborhood pets. I can't wait for the black bear in downtown and the wolves in the backyard.

I keep sprinkling the neighbors chihuahua with bbq sauce when the neighbor let's him out without a leash, but alas, the f***ing ankle biter keeps living to yip another day.

Driving through the city of champions this morning, coming up on a Honey Dew just past the Mall, and i see something almost ready to cross the road and i say to myself , " wtf ? In this dump of a city is wildlife ? " i turn around in the next parking lot, grab my camera, and drive back. The deer had walked back into a small patch of woods on the corner , but just stood there and looked at me. There was another smaller one about 10yds past this one. DSC_1344 (2).JPG

Driving through the city of champions this morning, coming up on a Honey Dew just past the Mall, and i see something almost ready to cross the road and i say to myself , " wtf ? In this dump of a city is wildlife ? " i turn around in the next parking lot, grab my camera, and drive back. The deer had walked back into a small patch of woods on the corner , but just stood there and looked at me. There was another smaller one about 10yds past this one. View attachment 331663
That doe has a sad look. Maybe she doesn't like that city either.

Ah. I thought you were one of those "the only good wolves are dead wolves" types. (same for coyote-wolf hybrids in this AO) I concur they CAN be a problem. But until they are, they are part of the food chain.

And not every time.

Ah. I thought you were one of those "the only good wolves are dead wolves" types. (same for coyote-wolf hybrids in this AO) I concur they CAN be a problem. But until they are, they are part of the food chain.

And not every time.

I passed on a coyote when hunting deer a couple seasons ago. He came out of a logging cut like 25 yards right in front of me. Stared at me......I raised my shotgun and gave him a choice......go left or right and your good.....come at me and take a slug. He chose wisely.

I took alot of crap from a hunting buddy of mine for not shooting it. I don't shoot what I don't plan to use....and I don't know how to process a skin for fur so I let em walk.

My concern like I said is he's competing with me for cottontail......and he is probably much better at hunting them than I am. Lol

I passed on a coyote when hunting deer a couple seasons ago. He came out of a logging cut like 25 yards right in front of me. Stared at me......I raised my shotgun and gave him a choice......go left or right and your good.....come at me and take a slug. He chose wisely.

I took alot of crap from a hunting buddy of mine for not shooting it. I don't shoot what I don't plan to use....and I don't know how to process a skin for fur so I let em walk.

My concern like I said is he's competing with me for cottontail......and he is probably much better at hunting them than I am. Lol
I watched a long vid on skinning, fleshing, and tanning yote hide. Yeah, no thanks.

Saw bald eagles 4 different days duck hunting this year.... and one was on the north shore.

There are a few nests on the North Shore. One I know of is on the Saugus River in Saugus. Another is on some rural land off Quannapowitt in Wakefield. I've been told and seen Eagles flying into and from this direction, that there is a nesting site near Spring Pond in Peabody.

I might have seen a snowy owl last Friday. Coming home and it was flying down a drainage ditch on a farm near my house. First I thought it was a hawk. But too light on top. WAAAY too light. Wingspan a bit too short and too fat for a gull. And it was flapping not-gull-like. I was driving too fast and didn't have binocs and it was going AWAY from me. So stopping wasn't going to help. Pretty sure that's what it was. Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom