What happens to the firearms retail trade in Mass post AG decision?

late08

NES Member
So, what do you think will happen with Mass gun shops after this?

Will they just soldier on and sell everything else except magazine fed rifles?

Will some close?

Opinions?

They all need to gang up as 1, attack this in court with the help of all the pro 2a orgs, and have all of us law abiding citizens stand with them. As someone else said in the other thread...be professional and leave the trailer trash talk out of this.

I don't think 3/4 will shut their doors. How many dealers have had to deal with cheapskates coming in and beating them down in price, reducing their margins because Google said they can get a better price elsewhere. If dealers are shutting their doors, it'll be a result of e-commerce continuing to tighten it's grip.

I question how much of an overall percentage evil baby killer rifles constituted with regard to the store's bottom lines.

I've viewed the industry much like the video game industry: shit margins on the hardware, all the markup on the accessories and software.

Guns and ham radio communities have similar attributes, like being full of cheapskates.

I don't think 3/4 will shut their doors. How many dealers have had to deal with cheapskates coming in and beating them down in price, reducing their margins because Google said they can get a better price elsewhere. If dealers are shutting their doors, it'll be a result of e-commerce continuing to tighten it's grip.

I question how much of an overall percentage evil baby killer rifles constituted with regard to the store's bottom lines.

I've viewed the industry much like the video game industry: shit margins on the hardware, all the markup on the accessories and software.

Guns and ham radio communities have similar attributes, like being full of cheapskates.
I doubt they will close IF AG is coorect on 10,000 AW being sold in MA in 2015 and assume those where FFL sales that's really not a lot of guns per shop. The mark up on ARs is not that great from what I can see for small shops.
I couldn't find a actual current list of FFLs in mass but found on FFL finder there where 600 listed?
I would think those older shops not doing well over the past few years will close up but again I think most will just keep on trucking as now they just focus on what guns they can sell that the AG tell them is OK

just a side note...... I have been to the range only 10 times this year and except for a AR match I hardly see ARs Im just not buying into that there are a lot more AR owners in MA... seems like in a state with what 350k licensed owners only 2% actually bought a AR in mass last year...yeah I know people build them also but I think that percentage is even lower...it just seems high when you surround yourself with like gun owners.

Last edited:
There are going to be more than a few closing doors.
Many of the smaller places are hanging on by toe nails.
I can think of a couple this may kill.
Hard working people losing thier living.
And the sick f#cks that run this state are smiling about it.

There are going to be more than a few closing doors.
Many of the smaller places are hanging on by toe nails.
I can think of a couple this may kill.
Hard working people losing thier living.
And the sick f#cks that run this state are smiling about it.
If they are hanging prior to this its because small business has a hard time surviving anyway.... and if "AW" sales where their mainstay I would say threy had to sell a large percent of the 10,000 claimed by the AG?
sucks all around....

If they are hanging prior to this its because small business has a hard time surviving anyway.... and if "AW" sales where 44their mainstay I would say threy had to sell a large percent of the 10,000 claimed by the AG?
sucks all around....

Even if it was 15- 20% of thier total gun sales , that's a big hit when your just making payroll.

They all need to gang up as 1, attack this in court with the help of all the pro 2a orgs, and have all of us law abiding citizens stand with them. As someone else said in the other thread...be professional and leave the trailer trash talk out of this.

this if all the the manufactures and dealers don't gang up and put some serious time and resources behind this I think the 380K or so licensed gun owners out of 6.7 million people in mass and about 4+ million registered voters we are a minority that will get zero minority special treatment.... now if we could get gun ownership up to 1 mil and all those where backing the 2nd we would have some serious traction...

Any shop which wasn't making the majority of their money on handgun and ammo sales is in deep manure.

Even if it was 15- 20% of thier total gun sales , that's a big hit when your just making payroll.
how many guns a year do most shops sell? if the numbers are right with 10,000 AW sold and 600 FFL dealers that's 16.6 guns a year per shop....not a lot and whats the average price and mark up..... See we have to take this away from " ther guns" and turn it on on what our sworn officials are supposed to do.... What our AG did was not part of that Oath as far as I can tell....
basically I got out of it..... whoops hey guys guess what you know all those sporting rifles we where letting you sell for the past 18 years, sorry your breaking the law oopps thought we let you know. Now stop selling them or else.

Any shop which wasn't making the majority of their money on handgun and ammo sales is in deep manure.
not for nothing but it appeared to me only the newest shops that opened in say the past 5 years has really had a larger than normal inventory of ARs
The few older shops left in my area are still a majority of inexpensive 22s,shotguns handguns and accessories some of which have been on the shelf for YEARS!
Ammo selction is still and has always been on the lacking side.

They'll still be able to sell all the parts, right? Stocks, barrels, triggers, lower parts kits, mags, optics, cases, etc. Just not complete rifles or lowers?

I imagine those who do have ARs may buy additional uppers in different barrel length/configuration, different calibers (6.8 spc, .458 socom).

Last edited:
B I N G O!

this if all the the manufactures and dealers don't gang up and put some serious time and resources behind this I think the 380K or so licensed gun owners out of 6.7 million people in mass and about 4+ million registered voters we are a minority that will get zero minority special treatment.... now if we could get gun ownership up to 1 mil and all those where backing the 2nd we would have some serious traction...

nobody even knows the implications of the AG's actions let alone the answers of exactly how this will affect the firearms industry within MA. we don't even know if the AG's claims will stick. we have yet to hear from the legislature or governor's office. one thing the various arms of .gov do not like is the other arm of .gov going for a power grab. they all want power. this may pan out as a "enemy of enemy is friend" scenario.

with regards to the FFL's survival in MA, they must ultimately unite or they will perish.

Last edited:
they'll make a ton of money today selling all their inventory to panicked sheep, and then on Monday when Healey gets slapped in the d*** it'll be business as usual....

AG can't stop people from selling aluminum.

*Shrug*

try buying brass, lead or copper online and tell me that......

they'll make a ton of money today selling all their inventory to panicked sheep, and then on Monday when Healey gets slapped in the d*** it'll be business as usual.... try buying brass, lead or copper online and tell me that......

You have a lot more faith in the judiciary than is warranted. Witness what happened to comm2a in the Glock court case.

There may be enough panic buying of ammo and other firearms to keep shops going. Folks who already own AR's/AK's might stock up on mags, barrels, BCG's, ammo and folks without them might be buying shotguns just to have something. I suspect that deep discounts will go away and shops will be selling these items closer to MSRP to get higher margin for a while.

There may be enough panic buying of ammo and other firearms to keep shops going. Folks who already own AR's/AK's might stock up on mags, barrels, BCG's, ammo and folks without them might be buying shotguns just to have something. I suspect that deep discounts will go away and shops will be selling these items closer to MSRP to get higher margin for a while.
i will certainly be shifting my buying habits to bolt guns and lever action rifles to support my LGS. I've wanted a bolt gun for a while now. If the LGSs want my money. They can have it. I'll buy the other crap I've had my eyes on for a while.

Some stores will throw their semi automatics out the front door and order a steamroller to crush them and will give interviews on how they are complying and being good citizens

Let's support them best we can. Buy night sights, bolt actions etc, and hope this gets overturned in a few months. Not real confident of that, this state is too corrupt.

It's some of the smaller shops that specialize in EBRs that will have the most problem, and also be least able to weather the hit of selling their existing stock through out of state dealers at discount prices. If the muzzle brake or stock have been irrevocably pinned on in-MA store inventory, those guns have already been devalued on the national market.

A big place like Four Seasons can take this hit, plus, I see FAR many more handguns going out their door than rifles. I expect them to survive.

And then there are the small "hobby based shops" that are going to react with "F it if I can't sell my favorite gun".

How many gun shop employees have been put out of work this morning? How many will collect unemployment and should take every opportunity to take as much free stuff from the State. How will the Governor justify this dip in unemployment?

simply for the safety of the children...thats how

Back
Top Bottom