• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What happens to DPS-3-C's?

What happens to the DPS-3-C forms that get sent to your local CLEO and SLFU? How long do they keep them on file? Do they store the details in a database for tracking who owns what?

Last edited:
I don't know for sure about the local CLEO, but SLFU definitely enters the info into a database. They don't seem to update transfers however because when I asked them for a record of what firearms they had for me, they gave me back a list of all firearms that I'd purchased that a DPS-C had been filed with. Some of those firearms had subsequently been sold/transferred to other people. So, it was more of a list of firearms that I'd purchased rather than a list of firearms that I possessed.

DESPP generally enters the information into a database, which is available to LE. If a police officer contacts dispatch to run your license (e.g. a wants and warrants check), dispatch will also be able to pass along (fairly promptly) that the subject possesses a pistol permit. There are also numerous instances of LE checking guns they encounter against those associated with an individual. In the past, a state report indicated that SLFU retains the hard copy forms "indefinitely." As a matter of practicality, most are entered/ retained. I can speak from experience when I say that I have purchased firearms that have had a DPS-3 sent in but which were not entered into the database. IN the past, some people also experienced situations (when DPS tried to reconcile records) when it could reasonably be surmised that forms had been lost/ not retained because many sellers were contacted seeking forms that were purportedly not received- in some instances well over 5 years prior (the statutorily prescribed period for which the seller must retain a DPS-3).

What towns do varies, a lot. Some towns have been suggested to keep parallel records on gun ownership, based on permit applications and DPS-3 forms. Other towns compile information from other sources (potentially too) New Haven, for example, requires (possibly required) permit applicants to provide lists of firearms owned by them.

Last edited:
The DESPP definitely enters the DPS-3s into a database.

The problem is that over the last 5 years they have been between 6 and 12 months behind on entering them in.

I held some guns for someone who was the subject of a protective order. They called me to confirm some guns that the guy showed in their database as having. Except they didn't have a couple of guns that he had purchased within the last couple of months. I didn't volunteer anything. The guy had given these to me in full compliance with the law. The cops never asked, so I never volunteered.

About 2 months later, they call me and tell me that 2 new guns just hit the database and asked if I had them. I told them Of course. Ha.

Your local PD can do with them whatever they please.

The locals understand that they only see one side of the transaction, they get notified when you buy a firearm not when you sell it. The state looses paperwork all the time and twice they sent me letters advising me to send in paperwork regarding a transfer or risk loosing my permit.

You can send a notarized letter to the state asking for a copy of all firearms listed on your permit and they will respond. This will include all you currently have and what you previously owned too. They keep everything to trace firearms.

Those forms were never supposed to be filed permanently but ended as fodder for a database. They were just to let the CLEO know a resident in his town had purchased a firearm. Putting all that info into a database is really a back-door registration. It's terribly inaccurate, however, and that's why it can't be used as a reliable source for the LEOs. Eventually it will be accurate enough. Don't overthink it. Buy a gun, the LEOs put it into their computer and attach it to your name and ID. Voila! Registered. To fill in the gaps, all CT will have to do is demand that we send in a list of all the firearms we currently own and that will fill in the blanks. NY has this and they put your arsenal on the back of your permit.

It was never supposed to be this way from the beginning.

Rome

Selling a gun out of state does not require a DPS-3. As long as they continue to track transfers and not actually require registrations the DB will be inaccurate to some degree.

How does an out of state purchase of a long gun work? I am 90% sure the state never gets anything on that.

Don

Don, I believe you're correct. If you're going to sell a firearm out of state, you'd employ an FFL. In the case of a long gun, you can ship directly to your customer's FFL and not need to file any paperwork but would keep a copy of the license in your file. To sell a handgun out of state, you would employ your FFL to send it to your customer's FFL. All they do is log it into their bound book as having received it and then as a disposal as the gun left their facility and went to another FFL. Once again no DPS-3 to my knowledge.

Rome

Yeah. I was 100% sure no DPS3 on an out of state sale.

I was 90% sure on a longgun purchase out of state. It seemed unlikely since what is the chance a dealer in AZ is going to have or bother printing a DPS-3. Also, CT doesn't have any legal authority to compel a dealer in another state to do anything. And CT doesn't have any after the fact registration requirement like MA.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but there is an interesting loop hole in the CT law requiring some kind of license to purchase a long gun in state.

The federal law says you can buy a long gun out of state as long as it is legal to possess in your home state.

No licenses or certificates are required to possess in CT. Only to buy in CT.

So a CT resident without a long gun certificate could LEGALLY buy a long gun in any state with no local licensing requirements. (ex NH, VT, ME, RI)

So a casual shooter, or Fudd style hunter could avoid having to get a long gun certificate if he needs to buy a gun and doesn't intend to buy much in the future simply by driving to NH.

Don

Yeah, I was aware of that. I travel to NH a lot and stop at shops. They're willing to sell to me and don't have any compulsion to file paperwork with CT that's not required by their state. Kinda strange but the more laws they pass on us the stranger things will get. There are other conflicts in the regs.

Rome

It was never supposed to be this way from the beginning.

It's the death my 1,000 cuts approach. Unless we as voters start becoming more involved with what happens in Hartford, the gun grabbers will continue their quest to make our lives more difficult and turn us into criminals.

Back
Top Bottom