• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What happens if you try to do more than 4 FTF transfers a year?

Garys

NES Member
Specifically, does the FA-10 webform flag recognize that a licensee is trying to do a fifth transfer and not allow it to proceed? Or does it allow the transfer to proceed, but alert the FRB?

Or, does it do nothing?

Specifically, does the FA-10 webform flag recognize that a licensee is trying to do a fifth transfer and not allow it to proceed? Or does it allow the transfer to proceed, but alert the FRB?

The system doesn't seem to give a shit but I think it will "flag" the seller for some kind of internal review. I ran into one guy a few years ago who stated that he actually got a warning letter from CJIS/FRB after accidentally doing 6 transfers in one year. It would be fun to actually get a COPY of one of these warning letters though, because I've never seen one
personally.

-Mike

I'll pass on that experience, thanks. And the one Jack suggested as well.

The system doesn't seem to give a shit but I think it will "flag" the seller for some kind of internal review. I ran into one guy a few years ago who stated that he actually got a warning letter from CJIS/FRB after accidentally doing 6 transfers in one year. It would be fun to actually get a COPY of one of these warning letters though, because I've never seen one
personally.

-Mike

What's the consequence of exceeding that imposed limit?

Probably laid out in MGL somewhere but I can't recall anyone actually getting convicted for it, other than getting the nasty letter in the mail. It may or may not be a felony I forget. Might have graduated penalty too for first offense etc. This is one of those things like the S128A/B crap that theres not a lot of case law on.

-Mike

I think part of it falls into the state regs for engaging in business. Much like only being able to sell 4 cars in a year privately. Look in that section of MGL.

Probably has to do with losing Sales Tax revenue on sales. Back when we used paper we had a gentleman on here who sold a lotter guns. (Some may remember him). He once told me he did 9 transfers in a year.

I guess it depends on if you do 5 transfers or 15. Exceed it by one or two and they may just politely remind you about the limit and that will be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at it from the Anti perspective...

Do an audit of all FA10's every 6 months.

if somebody does 5 or 6 do nothing.

If more than 6, send a letter as a warning.

If it continues explain that there will be consequences.

How funny 12 a year and your a dealer F them.

I would like to find one dealer that can survive on 1 gun sale a month.

I would like to see any dealer that does only 1 gun sale a month and not have there FFL pulled by the state or the Fed's because you know for a fact if you only sell 1 gun a month they would say your not engaged in the business and they would not renew your FFL.

So your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Back
Top Bottom