What happens if you find a gun?

This is truth. It is typically an acid solution that is used over METAL parts.
From Iowa DPS http://www.dps.state.ia.us/DCI/lab/firearms/restoration.shtml

"Today many of the manufactured items such as firearms, automobiles, motorcycles, & bicycles are impressed with a serial number for purposes of identification. In an attempt to hide the identity of the numbered item, the numbers are often obliterated or removed by mechanical methods such as grinding, peening, and punching.
Serial numbers are usually stamped on a metal frame or plate, with hard steel dies. These dies are applied with enough force to sink each digit into the metal. Restoration of obliterated serial numbers can many times be accomplished because the metal crystals under the stamped numbers are placed under a permanent strain. When a suitable etching agent is applied, the strained crystals will dissolve at a faster rate as compared to the unaltered metal, thus permitting the etched pattern to appear in the form of the original numbers. If the number is ground to a depth that removes the strained crystals, or if the area has been impressed with a different strain pattern, it is usually not possible to restore ."

I don't think yet I have any experience with it. Just from standard blah blah blah textbooks.

Annealing, re-hardening, and re-tempering the metal will make the stress marks in the crystalline structure disappear.

The cops always think they are smarter than everyone. They are usually wrong. It's just that 99% of the criminal element is so GD stupid, they make the cops look like brain surgeons.

Many years ago a friend off mine found one in an old stone foundation in the woods near his house in New Hampshire. He turned it in to the police and figured he would never see it again. I think it was at least a year later the chief called and said he could come and get it. Ruger Blackhawk if I remember correctly.

Annealing, re-hardening, and re-tempering the metal will make the stress marks in the crystalline structure disappear.

The cops always think they are smarter than everyone. They are usually wrong. It's just that 99% of the criminal element is so GD stupid, they make the cops look like brain surgeons.

Or a simple milling of the area... Can't read what you can't see. Thats just common sense, the least common of the senses.

I do car inspections and found a loaded .357 in some poor girls car once. Pretty sure it wasn't hers (she just bought the car) but pictured her possibly being cop, or worse a federal employee of some kind so tried to " ask " a little about it. Yeah.... she freaked out and called the cops even after I showed her my LTC and offered to take it off her hands for a few bucks. No dice. One more great gun for the evidence room.

I think it depends on what town I saw the gun in. If I was in Cambridge, there is no way I am touching it.

In my home town I know most of the cops and I would call one and ask him what he wanted me to do with it. After they had it, I would ask if I could have back it if it was not claimed

Many years ago a friend off mine found one in an old stone foundation in the woods near his house in New Hampshire. He turned it in to the police and figured he would never see it again. I think it was at least a year later the chief called and said he could come and get it. Ruger Blackhawk if I remember correctly.

In NH they likely react normally. In MA they melt guns down that are surrendered to the police. The only way in hell you are ever getting a "found" gun back from an MA police department is if you are on good terms with the chief or someone else high up in the department.

-Mike

If you find a gun in an alley and turn it in to the police, can you ever get possesion of it if it doesn't come up as stolen or used in a crime?

The would appear to be covered my MGL Chapter 134 Section 4, provided the finder has complied with MGL Chapter 143 Section 1.

Section 1. Any person who finds lost money or goods of the value of three dollars or more, the owner of which is unknown, shall within two days report the finding thereof to the officer in charge at a police station in the town where said property was found, or, if there is no police station, post notice thereof in two public places therein, or, instead of such report or posting, cause notice thereof to be advertised in a newspaper published therein.

Section 4. If the owner of lost money or goods does not appear within one year after the finding thereof, they shall enure to the finder, provided he has complied with section one.

The would appear to be covered my MGL Chapter 134 Section 4, provided the finder has complied with MGL Chapter 143 Section 1.

Rob, what happens to the PD if they simply destroy the gun? Does the finder of the gun get to sue the PD? [laugh]

-Mike

Of course, that's what the cops use it for all day long.....[laugh]

The cops are lightweights compared to the DA's and the judges. At the courthouses, the judge's personal toilet has rolls in it embossed sections of MGL that they don't like. [laugh]

-Mike

TIG welder. Tiny swirls. Done. No prior removal of numbers required. Of course I would never do that because it would be illegal. But Jose is right. If you have half a brain or any knowledge of manufacturing at all it's not hard to figure out.

Unless it has a lot of valuable parts it's 50 or 100 bucks in groceries at the next feel good gun buy back. Or do they check ID's and run serial numbers at those things?

I stumbled upon a Winchester 1200 on the job today. No lock, safety off, nobody home. Should I have called the ATF? The dude let it get all rusty and I bet it wouldn't even make "the sound" without Kroil and elbow grease.

Damn, didn't mean to hit an run. This thread vomited all over the place.
When I as a teenager, back before I had my LTC, I found a loaded 20 ga pistol grip pump shotgun on my way into school in New Bedford. I was sitting at a light at the 195 off ramp turning on to Purchase St. and saw it sitting there in the grass. I grabbed it with a towel and called the police who came and took it away. I was just curious if had it happened today while I had my license, I could have a legal claim to it.

In NH they likely react normally. In MA they melt guns down that are surrendered to the police. The only way in hell you are ever getting a "found" gun back from an MA police department is if you are on good terms with the chief or someone else high up in the department.

-Mike

I agee with Mike., Not going to happen in MA.

Damn, didn't mean to hit an run. This thread vomited all over the place.
When I as a teenager, back before I had my LTC, I found a loaded 20 ga pistol grip pump shotgun on my way into school in New Bedford. I was sitting at a light at the 195 off ramp turning on to Purchase St. and saw it sitting there in the grass. I grabbed it with a towel and called the police who came and took it away. I was just curious if had it happened today while I had my license, I could have a legal claim to it.

See above.

Back
Top Bottom