What Happened to the Trail Boss Load Data?

Broc

NES Member
Looking for 38 special.

The Hodgdon website doesnt have it anymore ... wtf?

The Lyman 50th edition reloading manual also doesnt have any data for Trail Boss ... wtf?

Is there no love for this powder? [crying]

It is on the Hodgdon site, maybe not the bullet u have. Select .38 special and go to the far right for powders. Scroll down and select Trail Boss and you will the various loads by bullet type.

You can find the instructions here for trailboss

It is on the Hodgdon site, maybe not the bullet u have. Select .38 special and go to the far right for powders. Scroll down and select Trail Boss and you will the various loads by bullet type.
WTF ... I looked 4 times between yesterday and this morning. I even tried not selecting a bullet, just the caliber, or, not selecting any caliber and just the powder.

7MZYBRWHFFBVPF2UFOLIJUPQN4.jpg

I want to try it for a Ruger Vaquero, so how it shoots.
Cool. Just curious. I always stayed away from it due to cost.
I do have from a batch of stuff I purchased but I never loaded it.
Let me know how you like it. Do you normally load 38? If so what powders have you used? I would like to hear your comparison if so.

Cool. Just curious. I always stayed away from it due to cost.
I do have from a batch of stuff I purchased but I never loaded it.
Let me know how you like it. Do you normally load 38? If so what powders have you used? I would like to hear your comparison if so.
I dont load 38, I will start with this. Might try a few different powders down the road if this one doesnt perform as expected.

Accuracy is not a concern with this one, it will most likely be used for CAS and plinking. Everything I read seems to be divided between 45% Trail Boss, 45% Clays, 10% some other powder.

At 3 grains min / 5 grains max, even the 9oz containers should reload quite a few. 9oz = 3937 grains.

I dont load 38, I will start with this. Might try a few different powders down the road if this one doesnt perform as expected.

Accuracy is not a concern with this one, it will most likely be used for CAS and plinking. Everything I read seems to be divided between 45% Trail Boss, 45% Clays, 10% some other powder.

At 3 grains min / 5 grains max, even the 9oz containers should reload quite a few. 9oz = 3937 grains.
Good point about the low charge weight giving a ton of loads per can.
I have used a decent amount of Clays and for light loads it amazing. Super clean burning.
Trail Boss is technically a Clays technology powder. Just bigger donuts.
What bullet are you going to be using? Hopefully a home cast one?

I was using the MP 357130 or something along those lines.
I don’t remember the load but a little bit clays and the 130 bullet shot like a .22 out of the 1873. Let me know if you want to try some. I think I have a bunch of these coated black if you want some. I’ll send them your way.
5EDB035A-6122-4DDA-99CC-3EE3F9099665.jpeg

Yeah you’ll be loading for awhile at 3 grains per round lol.
I’m also curious to hear your range report on the 38 TB loads.

Good point about the low charge weight giving a ton of loads per can.
I have used a decent amount of Clays and for light loads it amazing. Super clean burning.
Trail Boss is technically a Clays technology powder. Just bigger donuts.
What bullet are you going to be using? Hopefully a home cast one?

I was using the MP 357130 or something along those lines.
I don’t remember the load but a little bit clays and the 130 bullet shot like a .22 out of the 1873. Let me know if you want to try some. I think I have a bunch of these coated black if you want some. I’ll send them your way.
View attachment 325585
I haven't decided yet. I will probably get some sample from Missoury first, 105, 125 and then I think 140 follows.

After that I will cast them.

Trail boss is interesting powder for sure. I have used it in 32 SW - 8mm mauser for light loads.
Not much in the way of great accuracy but at such a low charge it goes a long way.
Clays is my go to 38/357 target load with 158 SWC . I also run Clays in the 1911.
looks like trailboss is only offered in 9oz and 2lb containers now. I have a jug thats the size of a 8lb jug but its 5lb IIRC.
Anyway its a bit more expensive than last I bought it.

Last edited:
I did a little testing with Tralboss in the .38 special. I loaded some 125 grain lead for my daughter who doesn't like recoil. I also loaded some 158 grain plated with 5, 5.2, 5.4 and 5.6 grains. Velocities were 627, 727, 781 and 866. All loads were shot out of a 6" S&W model 14.

Yeah you’ll be loading for awhile at 3 grains per round lol.
I’m also curious to hear your range report on the 38 TB loads.
I'm a fan of bullseye powder. Been loading 148 grain wadcutters with 2.7 grains of bullseye for a long time. Accurate and fun. A can of powder lasts forever and seating double ended wadcutters is very easy and fast.

Here is a link for the old PDF file for loading with Trailboss:
https%3A%2F%2Fimrpowder.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F11%2Ftrail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf&usg=AOvVaw36_OGGZV785lkqWrnoGv37

General rule for Trailboss: You can always load it, right up the the base of the seated bullet, any chambering, pistol or rifle, and never have it be over pressure. The PDF file walks you through how to back off a little to starting load. Never "crush the donuts!"
I use a lot of Trailboss for my 44 mag and 45 long colt loads for the Lawn Steel shooting that I do. It's very light recoil. The 44 mjagnums with 215 grain cast bullets are kind of like 38 cast wadcutters using Bullseye. Very easy on the wrist.

And, while I load a lot of 500 Magnums with Lil Gun powder for the tourists and lookers on (who want the full effect), most of my 500 S&W Magnum cast loads are loaded with Trail Boss. My 93 year old buddy from maine who comes for a visit in the Winter almost giggles like a little girl shooting the massive gun with the light Trail Boss loads.

Back
Top Bottom