• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What handgun will shoot a 22 short

Just wondering what handguns will shoot 22 shorts. I just got my class A last week, went to FS and got my self a nice halloween present PPK/S .380 I am just looking for something that I can plink around the house with.

Any .22LR revolver can fire .22 Short.

Just for the record, plinking around the house is probably not a very good idea, and might not even be legal (unless you're more than 500' away from any occupied dwellings or have the owners' permission).

There are some semi-autos that are made to fire the .22 short, but I'm pretty sure they're all really cheap ones that you'll pay $100 for. Stay away from those. And yeah, don't go shooting .22's in the basement thinking the neighbors will never know. Illegal and unsafe.

Beretta 950

b950.JPG

I live in the sticks my nearest negibors are well over 1000ft away. They own a farm and shoot all the time, but I understand what your saying. I would rather have a semi auto that shot 22shorts I just cant really find one cant find a beretta 950 eather.

.22 Short used to be popular for olympic/bullseye class target pistols until something like 25 years ago.

gsp_expert_2661951.jpg

Last edited:
.22 Short used to be popular for olympic/bullseye class target pistols until something like 25 years ago.

gsp_expert_2661951.jpg

The .22 short version of the GSP is the OSP, intended for Olympic rapid fire. One of the guys on my Bullseye team used to shoot one, but eventually gave it up because match grade (any grade, really) .22 shorts became so hard to find at a reasonable price. He's shooting one of the new Walther SSPs now.

Since Olympic rapid fire switched over to the .22 LR as a result of the 2005 ISSF ruling limiting the rapid fire competition to "sport pistols," the OSP has become something of a dinosaur and they can be had for very reasonable prices - there's currently one listed at Four Seasons for just under a grand, about half of what the gun cost just a few years ago.

ETA: Note that an OSP would hardly fit anyone's definition of a "plinking" gun, however.

Last edited:
.22 Shorts are hard to find and expensive if you do. The Beretta 950 is an excellent execution of a moronic idea; it is a glorified starter's pistol.

Get a REAL .22 and shoot REAL .22's in it. The ammo will be much less expensive, much easier to find and much more accurate.

Note also that this forum has a FIREARMS section for a reason. Think real hard and figure out why.

I live in the sticks my nearest negibors are well over 1000ft away. They own a farm and shoot all the time, but I understand what your saying. I would rather have a semi auto that shot 22shorts I just cant really find one cant find a beretta 950 eather.

Tombstone Trading Company had one last time I was in there.

http://www.tombstonetrading.com/

You do not want a .22 short. You want a .22 subsonic. generates little noise. Could probably use it in any gun or rifle you have.

As far as plinking around the house (outdoors), nothing to stop you IF you have a hunting license and you are far enough from the neighbor's house, and your town has not outlawed hunting. Indoors, I would worry about the lead dust.

In Mass, that means "Discharge of any Firearm or release of any arrow
upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway,
or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession
of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or
hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of
any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized
by the owner or occupant thereof".

So 1000 feet away is plenty.

If anyone asks, thell them you are hunting the rascally snapping turtle (no closed season, and the regs say you do not even need a hunting license for them!).

Obviously, you will need to be sure of your backdrop. .22 can travel a good ways.

Last edited:
If you want really quiet then there is the .22 Long CB caps. They can be fired in any .22LR firearm. About the same noise as a powerfull pellet rifle.

It is not a Beretta 950 (that's a 25 caliber...I have one), it is a Beretta 21A and there is one for $249 at, http://www.yankeeartifacts.com/Other Handguns.htm if you really want one. I would just picl up a nice 22 revolver for all around plinking. There is at least one in the classifieds and maybe at Yankee Artifacts as well, I don't recall.

The 950 was manufactured in both .22 short and .25. Mine is in .22 short.

http://www.littlegun.be/ma_collection/a it beretta 950 gb.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom