What guns require the least maintenance?

Ithaca 37 my hunting partner keeps it Behind the backseat of his truck year round and I believe its never been cleaned in the ten years ive known him.

He hunts heavy for pheasants with it six weeks of pheasant season. Rain, shine, snow, sleet. It gets slid into a case and put behind the seat without oil or wipedown

Ive never seen it not fire.

He laughs at autoloaders and can run that thing faster than most guys with gas guns

My marlin levers have gone lots of rounds without a clean, and I would assume bolt action rifles in centerfire would be long service with no cleaning and reliable operation

Id not choose any autoloader. But if I did the M1 or AK47 comes to mind.

Last edited:
I not by any means a glock fanboy, but I have a G17 and it is the easiest pistol I own to clean. The inside of the slide doesn't have many indentations, it is basically flat surfaces, and super easy to clean.

Insert name of modern firearm here --> . As long as its a decent gun and not some shoddy piece of trash or anything that substantially deviates from what is known to work, your gonna have a pretty reliable gun. Shit, look at all the torture tests on Hi-Points that everyone says suck so bad... They just work. Firearms technology has kinda reached its apex. Not much else, short of sighting systems, is really going to advance much until energy weapons and shit start coming onto the stage.

All that said... Yeah Glocks are the tits. Just saying. There's a reason ive pretty much standardized on them for my modern pistol needs. With the exception of the S&W bodyguard. But thats just because the 42 is just a wee bit too printy for my taste with pocket carry.

Ithaca 37 my hunting partner keeps it Behind the backseat of his truck year round and I believe its never been cleaned in the ten years ive known him.

He hunts heavy for pheasants with it six weeks of pheasant season. Rain, shine, snow, sleet. It gets slid into a case and put behind the seat without oil or wipedown

Ive never seen it not fire.

I can attest to the 37's reputation. I bought mine (made in '58 I believe) sight unseen on gunbroker years back and when I got it, you could see the internals looked like they'd never been cleaned. I doubt that shotgun had ever been disassembled before it got to me. I fired several boxes of random rounds through it (not one hiccup) before I ever bothered to take it down. When I did, I took it down to the last pin and spring and holy CRAP was that thing caked with years of residue, grime, dust, etc...
It's one of my favorite pheasant guns, along with the Remington model 11. The Ithaca is so much lighter, it comes with me more often on those hours-long trips.

Back
Top Bottom