• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What guns do you bring... in 1920?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
Oh, I thought this was a Coronavirus 1920 thread. :( I would totally have my 08 Colt Hammerless. Because the slide closes like a bank vault and smaller caliber guns were more Killy back then. Only a maniac held a .45. LOL

Smallish, flat as hell. Fun to shoot.

BAR is way too heavy. As a Ssgt. in the Philippines, Gramps was issued a BAR but immediately swapped for a M1 Garand. Up and down mountains, especially jungle mountains, isn't the place to carry a BAR. Since it's 1920, I'd go for a 1903 National Match.

I remember my Dad telling me something similar when he was in Korea. He loved the BAR in a fight, especially when carried by someone else. He liked shooting the M1, but preferred to carry a carbine. And everyone wanted a Tommy gun or Grease Gun (second choice) in garrison where they could look like a badass gangster.

I remember my Dad telling me something similar when he was in Korea. He loved the BAR in a fight, especially when carried by someone else. He liked shooting the M1, but preferred to carry a carbine. And everyone wanted a Tommy gun or Grease Gun (second choice) in garrison where they could look like a badass gangster.

Yeah, that was my Grandfather's thought on the BAR. He was in the 32nd Infantry Division, which was one of the first divisions to engage enemy forces in ground combat and were still fighting Japanese holdouts in the Philippines well after the official surrender. 654 days of combat, much of it in tough terrain and not a good situation for heavy gear. I remember his accounts of clearing the holdouts out of the mountains and caves- by his accounts it is true that rarely were any taken alive.

What? You didn't get the memo that Gary Cooper was born in backwoods, hillbilly TN? And that 1911s in .45ACP work great with blanks? Fun fact, the "1911s no worky with blanks" issue also caused Tom Selleck to use a 9x19 Colt Series 70 in Magnum P.I.

Also the reason Indy carries a BHP instead of a 1911 in Raiders.

I read that York dumped his Enfield for a Springfield because he preferred the open rear sight of the Springfield to the peep sight of the Enfield but who knows.

Another coronavirus stir crazy thread. The year is 1920. You've decided to leave dreary old New England in exchange for some adventure in a remote place like Alaska, Southern Rhodesia, Kenya, or Burma. You've sold everything you own and can buy whatever you want within reason. Gun laws aren't a concern. WW1 surplus guns are flooding the used market. But you can only bring one long gun and one handgun.

I'm going with a Mauser 98 sporter in 7x57 and a C96 in 7.63x25.
Anyway we can go back in time and bring our current shit with us to 1920???

I read that York dumped his Enfield for a Springfield because he preferred the open rear sight of the Springfield to the peep sight of the Enfield but who knows.

He definitely preferred notch sights over peeps, but I don't think he was able to dump one for the other. As I recall, he mainly mentioned the sights because he'd had to use a 1917 and regretted it... even though he clearly had no problems using it!

Somebodys recreation of the Rick O'Connell characters weapons bag in the Mummy movie. Maybe I go back in time with only two weapons but that don't mean I can't get more when I get there right? [smile]

Gun%20Pack%20CU%20copy.jpg

Because mag dumps on elephants are unsporting.

I read in a book by Frederick Selous

Where he described shooting an elephant ~12 times (IIRC) with a 16-bore. He was saddened that this took so long to kill the brute, other tuskers got away. Slo-mo mag dump?

Hunting ethics have changed, somewhat. [laugh]

There is the theory of time travel that you have to go empty handed and naked. I think that was true in Terminator? It is a popular truism in Sci fi novels.

An added twist to that is that knowledge from the future, may not "stick." There's a short story by Gene Wolfe, "The Lost Pilgrim," where a time traveler from our near future goes back to 1620 to make the Indian/Pilgrim meeting go more smoothly. Unfortunately, he misses his target. He's pretty sure that the ship is was supposed to hook up with was named after some flower, not Argo, and the Captain was not supposed to be named Jason. [shocked] OOPSIE!

I would chose the British Enfield and a 1911 also, mostly because i have owned and used both.. A little off track but, were Colt Monitors ever available to the public ?

I would chose the British Enfield and a 1911 also, mostly because i have owned and used both.. A little off track but, were Colt Monitors ever available to the public ?

Yes, but literally no one bought one.

In 1931 the new Colt Monitor was made available to civilians during the Depression at $300 each, including a spare parts kit, sling, cleaning accessories and six magazines, but Colt records indicate no domestic sales to individuals.

M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle - Wikipedia

Thank you for the link. I read the entire article,,,, which is what took me so long to thank you...lol It still left me interested in the Monitor tho,,, i don't know why.. The comments about it's recoil and buffer system reminded me of my father telling me about Garands going full auto on them,, but i " think" i remember him saying that they tampered with them somehow. Thanks Again..... Paul

Back
Top Bottom