• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What great round the .308 is

I just got done shooting my Noveske AR10 at steel targets at Walpole Sportsman that thing is a tack driver
Yes it is; very accurate and proven in combat and in the field, with plenty of power to get the job done without being abusive to the rifle or the shooter. The .308 is a great all-purpose load, especially for the man who only wants to own one rifle. I will always have one in my small-arms locker.

.458 WIN MAG FOR LYFE SUCKA YOU TAKE DOWN THOSE STEEL PLATES SON I'LL BE OVER HERE KILLING ELEPHANTS WITH SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE YOUR GRANDPAPPY'S RIFLE BUT KICKS LIKE YOUR MOM IN BED

Nah, one of the 6.5 cartridges. Far better ballistics. 30 caliber bullets are meh. They do attract a legion of fanbois though.

Nah, one of the 6.5 cartridges. Far better ballistics. 30 caliber bullets are meh. They do attract a legion of fanbois though.

The 6.5s typically have lighter recoil, too, and deliver more energy past 300-400 yards because of said better ballistics. I really want a nice rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

But good luck getting loaded ammo. Even the bullets alone were hard to get for a while.

The 6.5s typically have lighter recoil, too, and deliver more energy past 300-400 yards because of said better ballistics. I really want a nice rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

But good luck getting loaded ammo. Even the bullets alone were hard to get for a while.

Only suckers buy loaded ammo.

Jason do you have his book? Sounds like you do. I'm not ready to read it a second time but I will soon.

I think he has more than one, but I have "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting." An engineer friend bought it for me and warned me that "I might not like it because it's kinda dumbed down." [hmmm] I understand about 14% of it tops, but the tables are helpful.

Not for nothing, but calling a rifle a "tack driver" after shooting it at a 100 yard range is kind of like calling someone a super genius because they passed Ms. Daisy's Kindergarten and Nursery School.

That's the one. Last I knew he had just finished the second edition. Haven't been too into the long range shooting lately. Casting has kept me to more cast friendly cartridges. Though I have run some 198 grain cast spire points through my 300 RUM
Lets just say I have some more work to do with them. They should make for a nice "slow" load once I figure out all the details.
It will help when I can get my hands on a good powder at a non outrageous price.

Agreed. Shot this four round group into individual squares this afternoon. Stock Rem 700 w/ 6.5-20 Vortex Viper. 168gr Sierra MK handloads.

Ya,only suckers bought thousands and thousands of surplus South African,Portugese and Hirtenberger in 308 battle packs years ago.

Derp much ?

Seen any good deals on good quality loaded ammo lately? Years ago was, well, YEARS ago....

High and right. Get that thing zero'd [wink]

Jasons is right on the distance though. Take it longer and see what happens. Not discontinuing the rifle, but shooting sub MOA at 100 yards is not the same as doing it at even 300 yards, let alone 600 or 1k for many of the reasons stated in that article posted above.

"cause I can buy the base brass for my 6.5 whatever MUCH MUCH cheaper than the $28 battlepacks that I actually did buy. Piss on your own wheaties ahole.

Back
Top Bottom