• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What goes into a rebarrel job

PatMcD

NES Member
Just got done putting a new barrel on my Eliseo R5 Tube Gun. It's built off of a Rem 700 action. I acquired it and am the 3rd owner. No good records were kept of round count and I have never been happy with how it groups (This should be an easy 1/2" or less gun and I never did better than 3/4"). We bore scoped it and it looked like a chainsaw massacre in there! Off it comes: no confidence in it.

It was a Broughton 6mmBR 7.3 twist.
New barrel: Pac Nor 6mm blank, 8 twist.

Here is the basic pile of parts and a close up of the action glued into the tube.
View attachment 166265View attachment 166266

First step is chuck up the barrel, insert correct sized pins, and center it up based on the centerline of the bore, NOT the outside diameter of the barrel.
View attachment 166267View attachment 166268

Next step, shave off the breech end square, then pare back the area where the threads will be to the shoulder.
View attachment 166269View attachment 166270

I didn't get a pic of cutting back the breech face to accomodate the bolt face (Remington's "3 Rings of Steel"), but after that, hog out the majority of the chamber with an appropriately sized drill bit, then rough chamber it with the reamer (6BR with a "no turn" neck of .272).
View attachment 166271View attachment 166272View attachment 166273View attachment 166274

Will have to continue this in a reply because of pic limits………..

Just got done putting a new barrel on my Eliseo R5 Tube Gun. It's built off of a Rem 700 action. I acquired it and am the 3rd owner. No good records were kept of round count and I have never been happy with how it groups (This should be an easy 1/2" or less gun and I never did better than 3/4"). We bore scoped it and it looked like a chainsaw massacre in there! Off it comes: no confidence in it.

(snip)

Will have to continue this in a reply because of pic limits………..

Please do, I'm looking forward to lots of pictures and description of the process.

Continuing….

Then comes setting up to cut the threads.
View attachment 166283View attachment 166284

Putting a 11 degree crown on the muzzle.
View attachment 166285

Then comes the finish chambering after you get it pretty close. This involves a lot of try-fitting. Screwing the receiver on, putting a go-gauge in there and seeing how close to closing the bolt we are. Unscrew receiver, take a few more swipes with the reamer, screw back on receiver and try, etc.. Once we got it so the bolt closed easily, we put a piece of cellophane tape on the gauge and she closed very hard on that, so headspace is perfect. Remove receiver again and polished the chamber with a wooden dowel and 1500 grit paper. Cut .750 tenon on muzzle end for front sight. Take barrel out of lathe and clamp in a vise, grease threads and crank the receiver on good. Check headspace again. Perfect.

This took about 6 hours because of unfamiliarity with that particular lathe. Next one would be around 4 hours or so.
I have two good friends. One who did all this work while I took pictures and the other who owns the machine shop whose lathe we used.
View attachment 166288

Back
Top Bottom