• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What firearm(s) would you bring?

Given the scenario I am in the Sub2k/Glock camp.

I have a Sub2k in 9mm and 40 and happen to have matching Glocks. This combination wasn't an accident. The Subbies fold nicely and you get "enhanced pistol" power in a portable container and a matching magazine capable pistol. What's not to love?

you're going to be going through hostile territory, given the scenario laid out in the OP.

Best have the right attitude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZs0GJYNng

Unless you have some sort of transport that can handle more than Friday Cape traffic, it'll be a tough run. There. and worse back, especially if you have dependents, and the Other Gangs are more scary due to the .gov not doing anything. Or doing stuff that people don't like.

My kids (daughters) are 18 and 20. Not really kids but they still seem like kids to me (maybe because I'm still supporting them while they go to college ;-).

THe most important thing is going to be getting there and back as quickly as possible. Bicycle, Motorcycle, maybe a small boat. How old are your kids? Do you have to carry them? Can they walk 100 miles? CAn you walk 200 miles? For a firearm I would go with a pistol and the lightest rifle I had. A load of no more than a couple hundred rounds of ammo for both. Go light and fast because if you cant get there and back in 3 to 4 days tops you arent going to get back without some serious help. DO you have a plan set up with your wife as to where you would meet? Does she bring a GHB and a firearm with her?

- - - Updated - - -

There is always that...

I'd just stay home and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

S&W M&P10 .308 5p-mags, Sig Sauer P226 6 mags. i'm 6'3" 250. I could handle the weight. the 308 is a 3" group at 220 yards gun and the Sig is….well a Sig.

Ar-15 and G22 with as many mags and ammo that's just too uncomfortable to carry.

Or if the weather is nice I'll ride my tricycle, with a Dillon Aero mounted on it of course.

tactical bike.jpg

Glock 30 IWB. In my backpack AR15, chest rig (6 Mags for AR 6 for glock), Food and water. Most likely her Sig 238 with 100 rounds or so and if there's room her MP15-22. If this was a true mission Id probably call up a few friends. No sense in running into enemy territory alone. Nice to have someone on your 6.

Last edited:
My biggest concern would be how people would respond to you with open firepower. Also, why not take your mountain bike? Get there in several hours with some gear.

My preferred pack out in all circumstances is a G19 x2, a 1911, and an AR, minimum.

I'd probably bring an AR 15, a S&W M&P .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel + magazines for both, and a takedown Ruger 10/22. I considered the utility of a scoped bolt action .308 like a Remington 700 or Savage 10 but that's bulky, the ammo is heavy and I'm not sure I couldn't get most things done with the AR on the cape.

Things against any of us on this quest that a few have already mentioned:

• Lack of planning on how to get there and back (just which guns will you take?)
  • Being alone (I agree you need someone to watch your 6)
  • An open display of firepower with no backup in sight
  • Carrying food, shelter, water, guns, and ammo to succeed with a real mission like this
  • Our beer bellies and general lack of fitness
  • Our medical conditions and required medicines
  • Perhaps a million people who are becoming desperate as their supplies dwindle who see you with your large pack and want your stuff
  • A long distance to cover (both ways)
IMHO, if this is going to work, it has to be a hide-in-plain-sight or stealth operation. Consider:

• Ultralight camping gear - it's light, won't hog space in your pack, and minimalistic so it won't attract attention
  • Concealed pistol with 2 mags on the belt and a broken-down, "ultralight", accurate and totally reliable AR with 6-9 mags in the pack; carry extra pistol ammo or mags if you wish in the pack; don't forget a minimal cleaning and lube kit, either
  • Level III Body armor under your clothes to add to the fun of the beer belly and lack of fitness [smile]
  • Just look like a hiker passing through and make sure the pack and hiking gear looks used (a roll in the dirt may help)
  • Travel at night and sleep during the day under cover
  • Bring a few trusted friends to watch your 6
  • Set up a watch while sleeping with your friends covering your 6
  • Bicycles are an excellent idea
  • Stick to railroads, hiking trails and bike paths to get there to try to avoid population areas
My thoughts only. This is a mental exercise after all......

Read Cold Camp here. This fictional story starts out with a guy walking from NH to MA to rescue his folks. You will not be able to put it down once you start......

Last edited:
Since the original question has been covered pretty well, might just add that if staying on the Cape were a regular thing, and you wanted to have some sort of plan for a disaster scenario, some basic caches along various routes might be a good idea.

Things against any of us on this quest that a few have already mentioned:

• Concealed pistol with 2 mags on the belt and a broken-down, "ultralight", accurate and totally reliable AR with 6-9 mags in the pack; carry extra pistol ammo or mags if you wish in the pack; don't forget a minimal cleaning and lube kit, either

Read Cold Camp here. This fictional story starts out with a guy walking from NH to MA to rescue his folks. You will not be able to put it down once you start......

• Good story; I read it some time ago. Perhaps it's time to reread it, since I commute about 220 miles 2x/week.

As for AR... you suggesting an SU-16C?

Backpack with light food, water purifier, and light camping gear, g23 w/80 rounds.

Anyone who has carried any significant weight for significant miles, walking, will tell you: every ounce starts to add up. Some of these lists I see, I think at least 1/2 of the heavy stuff would be stashed in some hiding place by about hour 3 or 4, because way too heavy

I'd use a bicycle too, for the trip in question, if possible

That's quite a challenge. If I still had my Kriss Super V, I'd take it with my G21's. If I still had my G17, G19, G26 & Kel-Tec Sub 2000, that would be a good battery too. I guess I'd take an AR with two G21's. 6 loaded Glock mags and 6 loaded AR mags. Maybe I'd bring my Beowulf upper and two loaded mag for traffic control and maybe a loaded C-Beta mag for the 5.56. Boy, I'm getting heavy laden. Would have to commandeer a bike too. Travel at night, stay off the main roads. I'd love to cross at the train bridge, but I doubt it'd be down. There were ton's of row boats by the bridge that goes into Onset back in the 70's, I assume it'd still be fairly easy enough to find one big enough for my bike and gear. I wouldn't cross in the canal, that current is wicked. I'd go out into Buzzards Bay than head towards Mashnee, drag the boat across the causeway and into the cove. My grandparents had a place in Pocasset for years so I'm very familiar with the shoreline from Mashnee to North Falmouth. Depending on my final destination, I'd stick to the coast traveling by boat at night. Finding a secluded spot to rest during the day. Lot's of seasonal homes, you could find plenty to eat. Probably easily find fishing tackle and clam forks too.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot my wife has one of those in her BOB.

Last edited:
Good story; I read it some time ago. Perhaps it's time to reread it, since I commute about 220 miles 2x/week.

Could be an option. I was thinking of a 16" AR barrel with a lightweight rail, lightweight red dot w/ long battery life (i.e., Aimpoint or equivalent) and BUIS. You would need a sling, too. I would avoid a light, laser, or scope because they add too much weight with adapters. You should have a skeleton stock or light adjustible one that is pinned. Even the comp should be lightweight, minimalistic and short. You could use a light adapter on the rail and carry the light on your belt for easy use while hiking. My thoughts only.

Sent from the Warlock Command Center (in my basement).

ETA: All my ARs have California takedown pins that make it easy to remove the upper from the lower. This is what I would use to make it easy to separate the halves, stow them in the pack, and reassemble them quickly and quietly.

737924.jpg

See: Yankee Hill Takedown Pins. YMMV!

And a minimalistic comp on all my ARs:

egw4.jpg
egw5.jpg

By EGW. Solid on the bottom so it won't throw up dust and give your position away. They make one for 16" and 20" barrels. ZERO muzzle rise so you have very quick follow up shots (ask MrJingles). See here.

Last edited:
This is only my personal opinion and y'all can take it for what it's worth.

I chose my weapons based on redundancy (and shit I actually own). Guys think they would choose a 308 battle rifle and a dual backup pistols and a 22 year old ninja that knows how to speak fluent German. And that's cool. But I'd like to point out that we're only 1 person in this situation and you are your own backup. If you can't get to the fight, you can't win it.

Let's say I have to hump a 30" hunting rifle plus dedicated ammo, a pair of dissimmilar pistols plus mags and ammo. We're looking at 25 lbs easy just in firepower (say 10 lbs for the rifle and 3 lbs of ammo. 1.5 lb per pistol and 1lb per mag), and there is zero redundancy. Unless the two pistols are the same caliber, then you have some redundancy.

I don't claim to be a survivalist or "in shape", but I know enough to know that portability and redundancy is critical in a real life situation when you are your own backup. Weight is the second most critical component. I have done enough hiking and camping and the like to know that every ounce counts, especially after a distance as short as 10 miles (remember in this case we're going 100).

My rational was this: I have the folding KelTec so it is space efficient. It happens to be quite light weight. Say I am using the 9mm, I have a rifle that is easily a 100 yard gun and could be stretched to 200 yards in a real pinch. Think about 200 yards for a second. That is a long way. It's peanuts for a 308 or even a 556. But think about how far 200 yards is.. at night, in the bad weather or in a survival situation where you are clinging to darkness and/or cover at all times.

If you had backup it's a slightly different story where you can start to become prepared for a wider array of circumstances.

I don't know.. maybe I just wanted to listen to myself type and I don't feel like doing work. Carry on.

^ I can't rep on my phone, but I agree! That is the sole reason I got the Keltec. Damn, I have posted multiple times that I don't like to shoot it, but I will NOT get rid of it.

I also posted on a thread here that the SU16 would be a great partner to the Sub2K. Not for the quality or aesthetics, but the packability and the greater firepower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My plan on cape was always stay on cape. A lot more land and resources than most know. And more boats than people. Easier to get off cape that way to mainland.

The bridges would be a death trap.

That being the case, and being conflicted as I am, an Ar and pistols (2x, probably either 2 9mm or 1 9mm Glock and one .38 )would be my light choice.

If I took the motorcycle, a shotgun and Mosin would hump on the back with appropriate ammo.

Mosin may get dumped with bolt removed if had to bail.

Shotgun (rem 870) may stay long term, particularly if boat option of egress is used. Slugs vs hulls is a scary option.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

I could cover 100 miles in 2 days on my mountain bike and semi-clear roadways. The return trip would probably be 6-7 days with a couple of kiddos in tow. I'd carry my 9mm (w/extra ammo) and a ka-bar knife just in case, but don't see a need for a rifle for a week long trip. I don't think people will be desperate enough to form roving bands of cannibals after a few days of no power or transportation.

I'm thinking about going all ninja on this one. Walther P22. My Gurkha knife , and a lot of rope.

I don't have a gillie suit , but I know where I can borrow a pretty realistic gorilla suit - it doesnt have the feet though , but ill wear high top Keds anyway - add an English 3 speed bike , an Altoids tin survival kit , and as many fun size Halloween candies as I can find off season ...

You can imagine the rest easily enough.

Back
Top Bottom