• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What firearm are you most efficient with?

When I was a kid, I used to pick pinecones off the pine trees across the field at the house I grew up in with my Glenfield .22. Range was probably 100 yds, perhaps a bit more, using iron sights. I still have that rifle and it still shoots like a laser.

When I was shooting 2-3 times a week at Riley's indoor range back in the early 90's, I could dump a mag from my Colt Combat Elite 1911 through a 50 cent sized hole at 30ish yards...I don't think I could do that now...

I just picked up a CZ-82 9X18 a couple of months ago...that little pistol shows a lot of promise for being very accurate. I just need to get out with it more...

Last edited:
I911 S&W PD/Gunsite edition , & Bushmaster XM15ESwhatever . I Get faster and faster with either one shooting at coffee cans lines up in rows.

In Basic Training 1982 I hit 298 out of 300 pop-ups from 25 to 300 meters.

I got into shooting as an outgrowth of my Self Defense training & interests. Never cared much for bullseyes beyond zeroing red dots & Irons. I prefer the pass/fail nature of reactive targets.

Nope. You must be a NYS resident to have a pistol in NYS. No non-resident licenses. Only exception is a sanctioned pistol match - you may bring them in and take them right out. I even asked the DEC when I applied for a non-resident hunting license. <sigh>

gotcha.

M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon.
During a live fire lane, while supporting a flanking maneuver on a bunker complex, my M-249 jammed. A link fell into the receiver and wedged itself on the spring and rod assembly. I knew the gun so well I knew what happened by the feel of it, disassembled the weapon, removed the bent link, and had the gun firing again in just under 40 seconds. My BTN Commander was watching while it happened and gave me a coin.

That... and clearing a room with 200 rounds of 5.56 because we weren't allowed to have grenades. (Now that is efficiency.) I miss my SAW.

I probably shoot my 1911 the best, one of my best shots was with my S&W 629 Classic, sitting position resting arms on knees 12" steel plate at 200 yards, first shot, I quit then because I knew it was luck. Currently I am working on putting a smiley face on a silhouette target at 21' with a centerfire handgun, off hand to hand hold. I can get the mouth right but then I screw up the eyes or nose, or vice versa, I will get it eventually it's just something I want to hang on my wall in my reloading room.

My Beretta 92F. Twenty three years old and I can hit a 12"x12" steel from 100 yards on the first shot...right Derek?

(who am I kidding...that shot was shit luck...seriously)

View attachment 33458 My S&W 627-5 by far. I carry a Glock 21. I wish I was half as proficient with my Glock as I am with that 8 shot S&W. I carry the revolver once in a while but it's just to bulky for concealed carry, especially in the summer. Sometimes when I'm shooting at MRA late at night, I run the target all the way down to the backstop and pretend I'm Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles trying to " set off that dynamite down there " [smile]. It's one sweet .357 revolver, although 99% of the time I shoot 38 Special reloaded wad cutters.

[smile] My next one.

With my Savage 99 in .308, I have shot a 3 shot clover leaf that sat under a dime at 100 yards off of sand bags. I shot a deer on Anticosti Island at just over 400 yards with this same gun, but that was off hand and shit luck. But, I wouldn't let the guide know, I acted like I do that stuff all the time. [grin]

Just thought I'd mention that I've found handguns can be incredibly accurate at long distances.

We were shooting rifles over a hundred yards a few years back. For the hell of it I decided to take a shot with a .22 bobcat. To mine & everyones else's surprise I hit my target.

We spent the next hour getting exellent results with everything from a .22 to a .45acp. The delay before impact is pretty cool.

I'm most efficient with my DCM AR-15, but my best and greatest shots are with .22's.
I have a Mossberg 35B ,made in 1938, that I can shoot golf balls all day long at 100 yards. I was even consistently hitting someones steel ground hog at 200 yards with it one day. I had to aim at the top of some steel plates on the wire to hit the ground hog sitting on the berm. The guys there were very impressed with it. It has become one of my favorite rifles to bring to the range.

IMG_2995.jpg

I want a duelling tree too. I just got the okay from one of the bigwig at my club to bring one there. I'd leave it if I didn't think some cowboy noob would figure out what caliber to break it.

I can hit a 12" target at 100 yards with my Mosin. I know, i need to shoot more.

That's about what I can do with my Mosin. I hear folks talk about 2-3 inch groups at that distance and that seems incredible to me.

Sent from my handheld electronic thingamabob.

I do my best shooting with a garand, followed by a ruger 10/22.

Back
Top Bottom