• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What firearm are you most efficient with?

blindndead

NES Member
Just for fun, what firearm do you have that you are you most efficient with? With a little bragging what was the best shot you have ever pulled off? I myself love testing my skills with my Ruger 10/22 I set up a target stand at 50 yards no big deal and taped a quarter on the board and dinged the bottom left of the coin using only the iron sights what a good feeling that was bet I cant do that again [hmmm]

I have a ruger super black hawk 44mag with a 7.5in barrel that i have shot 1inch groups with at 50yds with iron sights if thats what you want to call it. For a scoped rifle i just shot a .5in group at 300yds with this weekend, now i was very impressed with that, it normally shoots .75in groups at 300. My 1911 i have shot 1in groups off hand 8 shots 10yds.

What's your criteria for efficiency?

Or did you mean proficient?

The two firearms I shoot most often are a Remington 700 and a Glock 20.

I have been routinely shooting golf-balls at 100 yards with the prior and occationally practicing shooting torso targets at 100 yards with the later.

What's your criteria for efficiency?

Or did you mean proficient?

The two firearms I shoot most often are a Remington 700 and a Glock 20.

I have been routinely shooting golf-balls at 100 yards with the prior and occationally practicing shooting torso targets at 100 yards with the later.

Proficient sounds more better.[grin]

Just for fun, what firearm do you have that you are you most efficient with? With a little bragging what was the best shot you have ever pulled off? I myself love testing my skills with my Ruger 10/22 I set up a target stand at 50 yards no big deal and taped a quarter on the board and dinged the bottom left of the coin using only the iron sights what a good feeling that was bet I cant do that again [hmmm]

I did the same thing with the same rifle, but I hit mine on the third shot...
Now the quarter in on my key ring.

blind,

I wasn't trying to bust your chops. While I figured you meant proficient, I can seem some very real efficiency tests as well, especially if you consider the cost or weight of ammunition.

4" clay pidgeon on a 100 yard back stop - second shot with with iron sights of a Mk IV Enfield in .303 Brit.

A friend described the miss of the first shot in inches high / inches right (sights were not zeroed) and I did my own hold-overs to hit with the second shot

4" clay pidgeon on a 100 yard back stop - second shot with with iron sights of a Mk IV Enfield in .303 Brit.

A friend described the miss of the first shot in inches high / inches right (sights were not zeroed) and I did my own hold-overs to hit with the second shot

My grandpa calls that kentucky windage

Well, Saturday at the NES car shoot... I had my Mosin aimed at the front left (driver side) rim/tire and after I pulled the trigger, the rim broke and the car dropped down about 5 inches. Keep in mind, this is after others with their .223's had been picking off the spokes, but my shot was the one who broke the camels back [smile]
There was a witness to the shot as well

Edit: A friend of mine had a pretty damn lucky shot while I was in Montana a few years back. He was trying to pick off a clay that was placed on the mountain side about 100 yards out with his AK. He got frustrated and fired off about 5 shots from the hip. The first shot hit the clay without him even realizing it!

Last edited:
I once hit a barn with a shotgun....Seriously the 1911 mostly from 30 years of bullseye competition with one. Funny I recently started shooting IDPA and still can hit anything...just takes me triple the time of everyone else!!

at 15 yards i can put a ragged hole in the dirty bird with my M&P 45 full size. its my favorite handgun to date! My silly savage axis in .243 and i do bugholes at 100 yds with 58gr factory hornady ammo [smile]

Dom

Hunting in NYS with my Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. with a x2 scope. Used an unsupported 2 hand hold and shot the top of the heart off a doe (broadside) at 125 paces. She ran 25 yards and collapsed.

It was a lucky shot.

I loved hunting with that pistol. Now, NYS won't let me bring it back to hunt. [sad2]

Last edited:
50 yards with a old beat up mossberg 500 24'' smooth bore and a cheap tasco scope I can hit a 3''x3'' stickey note with 1 oz rem slugs most of the time.

I am most accurate and proficient with my 3rd gen Glock 22, although the G17 is a close second.

I can make cloverleafs at 25 yards with my Derr tuned Smith 1911.

That's awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Hunting in NYS with my Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. with a x2 scope. Used an unsupported 2 hand hold and shot the top of the heart off a doe (broadside) at 125 paces. She ran 25 yards and collapsed.

It was a lucky shot.

I loved hunting with that pistol. Now, NYS won't let me bring it back to hunt. [sad2]

nice.

Pistol hunting must be pretty fun. How come no more? Did they outlaw it there or something?

nice.

Pistol hunting must be pretty fun. How come no more? Did they outlaw it there or something?

Nope. You must be a NYS resident to have a pistol in NYS. No non-resident licenses. Only exception is a sanctioned pistol match - you may bring them in and take them right out. I even asked the DEC when I applied for a non-resident hunting license. <sigh>

Back
Top Bottom