• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What finish do you prefer on your revolvers?

What finish do you prefer on your revolver?

• Nickle

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Blued

Votes: 32 45.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So typical finish for revolvers nowadays are Blued or Stainless Steel. When thinking about it I actually like the old Nickle finish that revolvers had. Think it makes the revolver look really good.

What is your favorite finish?

Nickle,
Stainless Steel
Blued
Other - Though I'm not sure what else is out there.

S&W2.jpg

So typical finish for revolvers nowadays are Blued or Stainless Steel. When thinking about it I actually like the old Nickle finish that revolvers had. Think it makes the revolver look really good.

What is your favorite finish?

Nickle,
Stainless Steel
Blued
Other - Though I'm not sure what else is out there.
Blued, for me.

I like the look of stainless/nickel, whether it's revolvers, 1911s, etc....but every time I own one, I end up feeling like it's too "shiny" for me. Feels like it's too much of a show piece, or something? Not really sure, but if I'm looking at two identical firearms, I'll drool over the nickel/stainless, but go home with the blued one.

974261ccfd8c668479e70ef9d55c8cb4.jpg

collectors items blue

carry items like an old school J frame circa 1981 it is a stainless model 60 for me.. nice polished gleaming in the sun stainless.... no holster wear, scratches don't matter, no chance of surface rust from being in a damp holster or against skin

For myself, aesthetically speaking, durability aside, it really depends on the gun. On S&W 6XX series, I like the brushed stainless. On older S&W's like a M17, 29 and 27, I like the deep bluing. On Ruger Vaqueros I like the high polished stainless (which I hand polish with Mothers to a higher, deeper luster) but on Colt gen 2's, I like the color case and blued combination. On most firearms I don't care for colors like tan, red, blue and so on but I do on Rugers Mark IV 22/45s and oddly, the Kimber Micro 9 Bel Air.

I guess it's like picking a car color. Some look great in one color but on another model it may look off.

Colt Snakes...stainless or nickel
S&W like the model 19 and 29, blued

Older Smith & Wessons sometimes had a satin blue which was pretty good. Just a little difficult to photograph with the camera I normally use.

Hate chromed guns. Mainly because problems I had with the few I owned, the finish can flake. However that may have been because of a poor chroming job or some abuse from former owners.

Back
Top Bottom