What FAL kit

jon

I have been looking at building an FAL lately.

Just because I can.

What I don't know is which is the better way to go?

L1A1 or Imbel or STG58

any insight would be great. I am leaning towards the price and condition of the imbels.

L1A1 is a inch licensed variant,

If you want availability of magazines and other parts you want a Metric FAL

You also need to buy the book called the Metric Fal by Blake Stevens.

Then if your not already a member you need to join www.falfiles.com .

You can get a lot of ideas and what is available by surfing the DSA website.
http://www.dsarms.com/

When your looking at the DSA site you can get an idea of what configuration FAL you would like to build.

Here is a link to get you started looking for the parts you may want.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=FAL+Parts+&aq=f&oq=

But honestly stay away from the L1A1.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me I have owned and been building them for the last 30 years.

I have been looking at building an FAL lately.

Just because I can.

What I don't know is which is the better way to go?

L1A1 or Imbel or STG58

any insight would be great. I am leaning towards the price and condition of the imbels.

Last edited:
SemiAutoSam

Can you expand on why it would be wise to stay away from the L1A1? From a magazine perspective, I thought that metric mags will work in an Inch receiver, but not the other way around.

What are your thoughts?

I agree with SAS's comments re: L1A1.

Another thing to keep in mind: Most StG. 58 kits out there are in excellent or better shape. I had one that was absolutely unissued prior to being "demilled." Just pristine. There are a lot of great StG. 58 kits out there. A bit more expensive, but in much better shape.

IMBEL kits tend to be in much rougher shape, at least externally. They were carried a lot, and most have little or no finish remaining. Not a big deal if you plan on having your build refinished, which most do, but you also need to get a good look at the barrel to make sure it's good to go, and the overal kit will generally show more wear. In some cases, significantly so.

I'm a huge fan of the FAL, and building your own is easy and satisfying. Mine is my number 1 go-to gun.

Parts availability is the most thing, not just mag availability.

Everything is different on the L1A1 not just the magazine, There is more parts interchange between israeli and Belgian, other metric variants.

I'm also of the opinion that the metric versions are better made with less sharp edges than the L1A1 versions.

When it comes to FAL's I'm somewhat of a purist and want the real deal.

IE If I lived in a free state or at least a semi free state that did not list the FN FAL by name in its AWB I would have a Belgian GL G Series FAL sitting in my safe.

With the threat of a new AWB they have taken a major climb in price recently.

My copy of the Metric Fal is somewhere in the subbasement so I'm going by memory or I would quote chapter and verse of the FAL Bible as to why.

I hate it when my wife makes me clean as I lose things.

ETA: Check out the french FAL kits as they were never shot and only dropped once. LOL sorry couldnt resist.

SemiAutoSam

Can you expand on why it would be wise to stay away from the L1A1? From a magazine perspective, I thought that metric mags will work in an Inch receiver, but not the other way around.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Having both Inch and Metric variants I prefer the Inch. Keep in mind that the inch patterns were adopted at the same time as the first metric models, despite the weapon first being made in metric configuration. The ergonomics of the inch is better, given the wider mag release and safety lever. The flip-down rear sight is nicer for mounting a scope too. All are issues that can be addressed on the metric guns, but the inch pattern has them already. There were fewer inch guns made, but since most of them have now been imported to the US there are currently plenty of parts available. Mags are also around too, although again not as plentiful as the metric. I wouldn't count on interchanging mags, reliability is iffy in my experience.

Basically I would buy what you like, and don't be scared away from the inch pattern if that's the way you want to go. Either way you'll be happy. An Imbel build is probably the least expensive way to get an FAL these days if you're looking at minimizing the cost, with an inch kit next up on the list.

IMBEL FAL kit of all places what do ya know on the FAL FILES.

If you want to build this puppy get your arse over there and sign up as a member

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246905

1. Refinished IMBEL kit in excellent condition.
Price is $450 shipped within CONUS.

1. Refinished IMBEL kit in excellent condition. It was your standard un-matching used but in great condition IMBEL kits from our previous “days” of glory. This kit was reparked in manganese phosphate by one the falfiles most excellent smiths. I removed the receiver stub without damaging the barrel threads. As you can see in the picture there is no magazine included in the kit as I am in California. I’m selling it because I need to liquidate some of my assets for educational endeavors. I think my evaluation/ condition of this kit is accurate and true and believe that this would make a very happy home for that DSA or IMBEL receiver. This kit has not been torn off an existing rifle only its original, indigenous Brazilian parent. If you have any questions about the kit feel free to pm or email me.

Nothing wrong with an inch FAL, but, as far as parts availability goes, the metric wins hands down. Not just mags, but everything, kits, receivers, furniture even small parts.

I like them all, I think there will always be parts available for every model without problems.
99% of the L1A1's out there are built on a metric type rec. so mags would not be a problem.
I have 1 of each of all the variants and enjoy them all! (esp. the congo rifle)

So how does one buy a fal kit, especially through say falfiles.
Are they done as c&r purchases and thus don't need to be registered?

You would have to sign up at the Falfiles and find something you want and agree to a price.

The FAL kit will most likely not have the upper receiver in the deal so you would need to locate a Gunsmith that will be able to build the kit into a rifle after you have found the receiver you want.

You need:

The FAL KIT,

The Upper Receiver,

A gunsmith that knows how to build a FAL.

Pretty simple no ?

BTW the FAL KIT without a upper receiver is not a Firearm its only parts Hence it would not require any Licence and or permit.

Depending on your state laws the Magazine that might come with the kit could put you in hot water if you received it.

ETA I just saw a few L1A1 Receivers sell on FALFILES for 550.00 each.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=247521

Last edited:

Huh? You have to register all firearms purchases in this state - C&R eligible or not.

As SemiAutoSam has said. The "gun" is considered the upper receiver on a FAL. You will need to go through an FFL to buy one of those. The rest is just parts - anyone can buy it.

You will also need to replace a certain number of parts inside the FAL kit with equivalent US made parts to be in compliance with the law. Look up 922(r) compliance.

finding a receiver will be the hardest part.....good luck.

the definition of "Kit" means it does NOT have a receiver, thus no FFL required for transfer.

922r compliance parts can be hard to find - check GunPartsGuy.com or Gunthings.com.....

good FAL smith is Ken Kubin at Global Military....

Back
Top Bottom