What eye protection are you using?

imstuner

NES Member
I have a few cheap glasses that I use for for the range and most of them fog up heavily and also reflects a glare on the inside lens. I have tried antifog spray and it does seem to help. All of these glasses cost around $20-$30.00 and I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money to get a decent one. Any recommended brand would be appreciated? My budget is around $50-$100.

Only time I've had safety glasses fog up was the month my local range made people wear masks while shooting. Otherwise, they never seem to fog up. Cheap set of Howard Leight clear lenses. Been happy with them, but might be a lateral move for you if you're looking to upgrade to something fancy like polarized ballistic glasses.

Regardless of price, since I sweat a bit, most of my glasses fog up. Currently I am using Oakley M3 - you can get them on eBay for about $150. I like that they have low profile temples to fit under hearing protection.

Sometimes I just keep my Oakleys on, but shooting steel or things where I am more worried about a ricochet, I keep ESS Crossbows, tinted and clear in my range bag.

They seem to MSRP for $50 now, but I think I paid $30 just a couple years ago, so keep an eye for sales.

I wear Uvex Genesis safety glasses at work, but also keep a couple of pairs of $2 Harbor Freight safety glasses on hand for mowing or shooting. They are surprisingly distortion-free for me, unlike the 3M safety glasses I got at Lowe's once.

Sometimes I just keep my Oakleys on, but shooting steel or things where I am more worried about a ricochet, I keep ESS Crossbows, tinted and clear in my range bag.

They seem to MSRP for $50 now, but I think I paid $30 just a couple years ago, so keep an eye for sales.
Wondering why you don't think your Oakley glasses are worthy? I believe they are ansi rated for impact.

Really depends on what was issued is what I've had for numerous years.
Oakley, WileyX, Smith, have them all use them all. Depending what I'm doing decides which get used. The Smiths live in my car as backups. The Oakleys stay in my range bag at all time and the Wiley are in my smaller range bag. All of those are clear though.
Make sure whatever you get has an ANSI rating. Eye protection is cheap compared to blindness or surgery.
If it's really sunny I shoot with WileyX Haydens which are polarized, ANSI rated, and available with prescription, Which while I don't have a prescription, it's nice if I ever do need one.
Random photo from Wiley hayden advert. I'm not partial to any one brand (or name brand for that matter) as long as they are correctly ANSI rated as I have plenty of spares that fall into this category and you better believe I use them too. The Hayden's have actually saved my vision from a Vickers gun that the owner didn't tell me he was shooting Turkish 8mm through and I have the spiderweb cracks on one of the pairs to remind myself. Wiley did replace them for free as well though to speak well of them!
1627592359323.png

Wondering why you don't think your Oakley glasses are worthy? I believe they are ansi rated for impact.
They are ansi. They are also more expensive to replace if something does come back. ESS is also milspec which is a bit higher as I don’t have the milspec Oakleys.

Thanks for all the advise and I ended up getting ESS Crossbow with 2 lens kit. I really wanted the Oakley Radar but it was extra 100 and I didn't know ESS was owned by Oakley.

Harbor Freight Z87, yellow tinted, $0.99 when on sale. I've got 130 pairs of clear, smoke tinted, dark tinted and yellow, on hand all the time.

It's eye protection for the range, not a Gucci fashion show.

Unless they are prescription glasses or corrective glasses offered as fixed upper lens placed correction, anyone who pays big money for a pair of safety glasses is a "sucker".

Harbor Freight Z87, yellow tinted, $0.99 when on sale. I've got 130 pairs of clear, smoke tinted, dark tinted and yellow, on hand all the time.

Unless they are prescription glasses or corrective glasses offered as fixed upper lens placed correction, anyone who pays big money for a pair of safety glasses is a "sucker".

There is a concern around fogging. Shooting glasses sit a little further away from the face to help with that. They also may have some additional adjustments to help fit your face better or be more comfortable. Maybe safety glasses work well for you, so that's great.

Personally I would rather not wear safety glasses, but sometimes are forced to.

I like my ESS... I picked up a used set of Hunters Gold. The lenses are great, but I'm just meh on the frames.

The ESS supressors are nice because of the thin flat ear pieces. they fit easily under my hearing protection

There is a concern around fogging. Shooting glasses sit a little further away from the face to help with that. They also may have some additional adjustments to help fit your face better or be more comfortable. Maybe safety glasses work well for you, so that's great.

Personally I would rather not wear safety glasses, but sometimes are forced to.

Complete Bullshit.....All glasses fog at some point unless you have a moving air flow of dehumidified air blowing at your face.

The same issue is encountered by welders with very expensive helmets doing extremely expensive work. That's why they have helmets with moving dehumidified air blowing inside them.

Safety glasses on the range are to minimize the potential of an eye injury while shooting possibly hundreds of rounds, and others shooting hundreds of rounds around you.....with potentially defective ammo, a defective gun or defective aiming on a target that might send a ricochet your way.

If you have to draw and use a firearm in a self defense situation, it is unlikely that someone will be wearing safety glasses unless they wear glasses for corrective purposes on a regular basis.

I have no problem accepting the risk of firing a gun in self defense where a few rounds max might be fired.

I do not accept the risk of shooting on a range where other people are shooting and I have no control over what they are shooting ammo wise, gun wise or target wise without safety glasses.

Complete Bullshit.....All glasses fog at some point unless you have a moving air flow of dehumidified air blowing at your face.

The same issue is encountered by welders with very expensive helmets doing extremely expensive work. That's why they have helmets with moving dehumidified air blowing inside them.

Safety glasses on the range are to minimize the potential of an eye injury while shooting possibly hundreds of rounds, and others shooting hundreds of rounds around you.....with potentially defective ammo, a defective gun or defective aiming on a target that might send a ricochet your way.

If you have to draw and use a firearm in a self defense situation, it is unlikely that someone will be wearing safety glasses unless they wear glasses for corrective purposes on a regular basis.

I have no problem accepting the risk of firing a gun in self defense where a few rounds max might be fired.

I do not accept the risk of shooting on a range where other people are shooting and I have no control over what they are shooting ammo wise, gun wise or target wise without safety glasses.

Sounds good. Again, I am happy the solution you have picked is working out for you.

Uzi2 I think one other thing I have encounter with my piles of PPE glasses are distortion. I have seen cheap ones with and without this issue.

I also picked up some Pyramex Fortress ANSI Z87.1 rated glasses as well. These were pretty cheap and I used their ZTEK models before for eye protection for woodworking. These seem to fit better than the ESS crossbow. They have vent
cut outs on the lens.

. 27F4FBDD-4D53-4771-8CA1-7BD59FC65C5F.jpegC32DF68C-C08F-4FE0-AB60-BB33F797F726.jpegEEF27283-D3DA-4E76-82BA-B2E88F6D37A6.jpeg

HexArmor: Eyewear
Hex Armor glasses VS250 are great quality and low cost to keep extra pairs everywhere. I have on my reloading bench, workshop, and in my vehicle.
I honestly compare these to glasses in the $100+ range

I like my Gatorz, have two pair of Gatorz ‘Wraptors’, a blacked out pair and a pair with yellow lenses. Great for everyday sunglasses, yellow for bad weather driving (rain/snow/night glare), motorcycle, range, whatever. They’re a little heavy at first after wearing Oakley’s for several years, but have all metal frame, made in the USA and a lifetime warranty.

Wraptor

Everyone has their own styles, likes and dislikes, but I don’t like skimping out on cheap gear, if I’m paying for it, I need it, if I need it, I want it to work and not fail me when I need it the most.

Last edited:

This is what I was wondering, is there any difference is the actual eye protection (strength of the actual lens) between the $150.00 pairs and the $5 pairs?

This is what I was wondering, is there any difference is the actual eye protection (strength of the actual lens) between the $150.00 pairs and the $5 pairs?

There are definite differences in clarity, glare, distortion and light transmission between an ultra cheap set and a high end set. Whether or not that's important to you is a different question. I'd imagine if you're shooting comp or for high precision and bought an ultra premium scope for its glass clarify, then you should probably pick up high end safety glasses as well. Me, I'm more of a mid range red dot kind of guy, so I'm ok with just a $25 set.

Back
Top Bottom