• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What exactly do I have here....?

Can someone please tell me what exactly do I have here?

Appears to be all original, with cleaning rod. Also appears there is a bayonet lug (hard to see in pics). Wood is in decent shape considering its age, with minor dings. There are numerous markings that I tried to get pictures of. This beast measures in as 57.5 inches, barrel is 42.5 inches, and is pretty heavy. All mechanical parts appear to be fully functioning.

Any information on this rifle would be great!

Thanks!

View attachment 96093View attachment 96096View attachment 96099View attachment 96111View attachment 96112View attachment 96113View attachment 96114View attachment 96115View attachment 96116View attachment 96117

Last edited:
Is that a cartouche of some kind on the stock or just scratches/random damage.

On the lock just aft of the hammer. There should also be a date stamped on the barrel right where the wood starts. Your measure is a little long for a 3 band and the bore size is a bit big. If it is a conversion, it may be a converted 1840 (which were .69 cal-a little closer to the 3/4 you mentioned) The 3 band is a .58 cal

There would also be inspectors cartouches on the stock cheek rest and on the bottom of the 'grip'

I believe its a Lorenz musket Austrian 1854ish. Imported by both sides during the civil war. The bolster is the give away.

I was able to see numerous markings upon further examination. I updated the original post with some additional pictures. Also, barrel measures 42.5 inches.

On the lock just aft of the hammer. There should also be a date stamped on the barrel right where the wood starts. Your measure is a little long for a 3 band and the bore size is a bit big. If it is a conversion, it may be a converted 1840 (which were .69 cal-a little closer to the 3/4 you mentioned) The 3 band is a .58 cal

There would also be inspectors cartouches on the stock cheek rest and on the bottom of the 'grip'

They made them in .54 .58 and .75. How exact are we on the caliber? They also had 1842's converted by Leman in .69cal. Its an Austrian lock and should have a three number date omitting the "1".

Last edited:
images

When are you going to shoot it? ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Back
Top Bottom