What does your family think about shooting?

First in family to be into guns. My 70+ year old mother just picked up a 380! And My dad went from one gun for 40 years to a msm “ Arsenal”!

After 28 yrs. married, my wife finally went shooting with me. She took her first shot ( Ruger MKIII) and turned to me saying it scared the crap out of her. When we were cleaning up she was proudly counting her hits from 50’. Now she is always pestering me to take her. Trying to get her to get an LTC.
One of my SIL is an avid shooter, granddaughter got her LTC, grandson will when old enough. The other family not so much into it, even though that SIL has LTC.

My father was into guns, was on the National Guard rifle team in the early 60's. Was into bird hunting and target shooting. When my brother and I where born my mother talked him into selling them. He had some nice stuff, only kept a shotgun. Myself and my brother are into guns as well as my son. I can't get my daughter to touch one.

I grew up hunting and shooting, and my mom and dad ran a small FFL for years, back when you could do it on your own property, so it's in my blood and I have a pretty large collection of heirloom's and military stuff that I inherited, as well as a pretty large array of modern "working" guns. My gf didn't grow up with firearms but was not taught to be anti. She now has her LTC and goes shooting with me from time to time, and she has a couple of pistols of her own. She doesn't carry yet, but her gun handling skills aren't 100% yet so I don't push it. Her dad used to have his LTC for work, and talks about getting it again, but never personally owned any firearms, her mom is less comfortable with firearms, but mostly because she is not familiar with them. My gf never understands why I invest so much money into the hobby, but she is learning, and she does value the 2nd. My daughter is 3, so she hasn't really been introduced yet, but she does know she can see/handle a gun as long as she asks us first, and I am starting to talk to her about gun safety. We have instilled in her that guns are tools, not toys, but we also try to avoid the whole "forbidden fruit" thing.

Edit: Whoa didnt realize this was 11 years old lol

Last edited:
My parents hated guns and wouldn't let me get one, although they signed for my FID card at age 15 so I could join the Lexington High School shooting team for a while. The chemistry teacher kept the guns in his classroom (1976). The day I turned 18 I bought a gun and hid it (Charter Arms AR-7, worthless, but hides easily under the bed). They're both 90, and still not fans. I think my entire extended family is pretty much anti. My wife tolerates them. My son never went shooting with me, but my 2 daughters have many times.

I'm very careful with whom I talk to about guns, and I usually send out probing comments or questions to find out if it's a safe topic with new people. As an example, I might make a comment about the latest shooting saying, "What a bad case of gun use, when 99+% of gun owners are responsible, law abiding citizens!" If I get a sneer, negative comment, or perhaps a projectile thrown in my direction I'll know to go back to discussing the fascinating nuances of New England weather. Or run.

I was a shooter and hunter for years before I went to Vietnam. When I came home, I stayed away from guns for a few years before getting back into it. I don't hunt any more. I would however like to try hunting wild boar or pigs. At least they have a chance to defend themselves, and it might get my adrenaline level where I like it. Same thing for other dangerous game, I'd try it for the rush, but I wouldn't shoot anything I wasn't going to eat.

I only got to hunt boar once in Vermont. Damn thing charged me. Most exciting hunt I ever had. Got it with 4 3/4", .454 Casull. I'd go again in a heart beat. All three of my brothers have hunted deer with me. Years ago we got our first deer/buck, in the woods, in back of dads house. We hung it from the second floor of dads garage, in the back yard. Dad told everyone at the coffee shop and there was a parade of cars going slowly by the house. Now my nephew recently got his LTC. He's pumped and so am I, for him.

Last edited:
Well... since the thread got bumped. My mom died before I really got into firearms. My dad is ULTRA ANTI, and once told me (after I showed him a target from a Designated Marksman course I took for work) : 'That's a lot of dead kindergartners' (in reference to the 5.56 holes in target). He's a bootlicking statist a**h***.

My wife was typical anti soccer mom, and now tells me that all gun laws are infringements LOL

my side rabid TDS gun hating on all levels liberals. we are not on speaking terms: i have been deleted from all family events and relationships. could care less for i don't have to listen to their shit and save plenty on christmas, birthdays etc. my wife's side ex military, conservative, party animals: most don't own guns but really do not have an issue with them.

My wife had her LTC before I did. Her Father, mother and brother (and his wife too) all have their's. Both of my parents, my brother and sister all have their LTC as well. Needless to say, friendly territory over here. That said, my wife though a crack shot, is by no means "into" guns or shooting but will on occasion. She's also never batted an eye when in comes to my collection which would probably be categorized as an "arsenal" at this point I guess. I think the overriding message of gun ownership across my family is responsibility, familiarity and respect even if it isn't necessarily "your thing".

my side rabid TDS gun hating on all levels liberals. we are not on speaking terms: i have been deleted from all family events and relationships. could care less for i don't have to listen to their shit and save plenty on christmas, birthdays etc. my wife's side ex military, conservative, party animals: most don't own guns but really do not have an issue with them.

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me!

Yes, the necromancy is strong with this one @namedpipes

Well done!

My wife doesn’t mind it. Just like my guitars she prefers me not to have 10 of ‘em. Of course there’s more than that for both guitars and guns.

My mil who has dementia just lets out an “Oooooooohhhh!” when she sees me decked in real tree.

Took my then 8 and 10 y/o’s to the range last year to let them shoot a 10/22 and P22. They liked it and I need to get them out more. The now 9 y/o is interested in going hunting with me. This is very good. The youngest of the three at 1 y/o will grow up knowing Daddy is packing heat...always. She’ll benefit from the experience of the older two.

Dad was a WW2 Marine - Brother a Vietnam Marine. Dad was a helluva shooter. He won a Winchester 94 at the local sportsman club when I was a kid, that sits in my safe now. Got my first rifle when I was 7 in '75 and learned how to shoot in the back yard and the woods behind my house. Well, I guess you could say my first half a rifle. I had to share it with my twin brother. And boy, did we have some tussles over that 22.
We didn't get to shoot with our Dad as much as my two older brothers. He got sick and died of pancreatic cancer when I was 12, but he really taught us marksmanship while he could. I remember the day he came home with the rifle he won. I was the proudest kid in the whole town
I joined the Marines before I was out of high school at 17. Headed to Parris Island two weeks after I graduated. I like to think he would have approved of my scores on the rifle range and I qualified Expert, and half of my platoon did as well.
My wife and two daughters know how to shoot. My son loves to shoot and I will hand down his Grandfathers rifle soon. My son was 7 when I bought him his first 22. A Henry Golden Boy. He just started college, and I figure when he leaves home and gets settled, I will buy him a good gun safe and give him my Dad's rifle.
My entire family is pro 2A. One of my sisters is an avid hunter and I used to hunt with her husband when I was young.
My inlaws have always been supportive, and my father in law, who is from West Virginia, bought my son his first set of electronic ear muffs.

Yes, the necromancy is strong with this one @namedpipes

Well done!

My wife doesn’t mind it. Just like my guitars she prefers me not to have 10 of ‘em. Of course there’s more than that for both guitars and guns.

My mil who has dementia just lets out an “Oooooooohhhh!” when she sees me decked in real tree.

Took my then 8 and 10 y/o’s to the range last year to let them shoot a 10/22 and P22. They liked it and I need to get them out more. The now 9 y/o is interested in going hunting with me. This is very good. The youngest of the three at 1 y/o will grow up knowing Daddy is packing heat...always. She’ll benefit from the experience of the older two.

I once revived the second thread ever started on this site: High Power Shooting Gear

There was another early thread, bumper stickers, I think that had a good long second run.

my future wife started anti gun shit while we were dating; told her she wold go before the guns. a good gun is better and harder to find than a woman and masturbation is sex with someone you love. she is now pro gun, nra and 2a.

This site was around before 2005, 2004 was the original board..I think.

Dig harder !
News to me.

Derek sent me an Email the day he started NES and after I talked with him on the phone I joined the following day. According to the link to my name, I was the 13th member of NES. I see you were #7. Derek also told me that he started NES as a family-friendly forum having been disgusted with lots of back-biting on ARfcom (where both of us were and still are members).

So if he started something earlier than that, I was never aware of it. I'm not saying that it didn't happen.

News to me.

Derek sent me an Email the day he started NES and after I talked with him on the phone I joined the following day. According to the link to my name, I was the 13th member of NES. I see you were #7. Derek also told me that he started NES as a family-friendly forum having been disgusted with lots of back-biting on ARfcom (where both of us were and still are members).

So if he started something earlier than that, I was never aware of it. I'm not saying that it didn't happen.

I fail at memory..Could have sworn there was an earlier website version and when upgraded everybody lost post count etc..

I grew up in a gun family. Ex-wife was an anti

Now I'm single again. A co-worker (Newton) has been trying to set me up with her friends for two years. I said OK only on the condition that she tell them up front that I am a gun owner and that I won't even meet them if they object to that.

So far, I'm 0 for 3.

no, the ladies are 0 for 3

I come from a long line of shootists and staunch 2A supporters. I've passed that on to my son.
My wife doesn't oppose my hobby but does not share my enthusiasm either. Her extend family are hunters and gun owners but also largely Fudds.

Back
Top Bottom