What does your family think about shooting?

My wife was totally anti-gun, an effect of being chased around at 10yrs old by a friend that found her dad's assult type rifle in a closet{ass[angry] }. She's come along with my shooting habbit, she dosen't like the idea of guns in the house, but as long as she dosen't see them and knows they are locked, its ok. I am working on getting her to the range too shoot and face some old fears....Its alittle project I have to turn this girl into a shooter [grin]
My oldest daughter 13, has not the slightest interest in guns or shooting. My youngest 5, is really interested, we are practicing safty and positioning with toy guns, yesterday she handled the Ruger MkIII, I think she is almost ready for tigger time.
As for parents and siblings, they all have no problem with guns\shooting.

Last edited:
When I told my fiance that I wanted to take the safety course and start shooting again her response was, "Can I come too?" How cool is that? I figured at the very least she be cool with it, since her dad had all kinds of guns while she was growing up and taught her how to shoot. When I came home last night from the new member meeting in westford, she was pretty excited to check it out...

My parents are a slightly different story. Mostly my mom. I wasn't gonna tell her to avoid the disapproving eye, but I figured what the hell... My mom, true to form, gave me the eye, but didn't say a whole lot... If you have an italian mother you know thats almost worse then getting the earful you know shes cooking up. I tried to talk about safety and all that, but shes very anti gun and wasn't too interested. My dad on the other hand, who has never shot a gun before, said he'd be interested giving it a try. I was pretty surprised, cuz you know, old dog and all that. [wink] I think it's pretty cool that hes willing to give it a shot.. literally.... So its an odd mix in my camp, but I guess thats what makes families interesting.

When I told my fiance that I wanted to take the safety course and start shooting again her response was, "Can I come too?" How cool is that?
Very cool! Of course, you'll have to spend twice as much on guns and ammo now, but hey... at least you don't have to worry about her reacting badly to your new purchase!

YOUR biggest problem is the same as WildWeasel's... your other half may decide that the gun you just bought for yourself is now HERS. [wink]

I was a shooter and hunter for years before I went to Vietnam. When I came home, I stayed away from guns for a few years before getting back into it. I don't hunt any more. I would however like to try hunting wild boar or pigs. At least they have a chance to defend themselves, and it might get my adrenaline level where I like it. Same thing for other dangerous game, I'd try it for the rush, but I wouldn't shoot anything I wasn't going to eat.

Did you also have to write everything w/ a chisel and stone while walking uphill in the snow using africanized bee's for shoes? [laugh][wink] Just messing with ya!

Nah, my older brother had to deal with that but they'd gotten in the new slates by my time. You just wetsand them down and your good for more 3Rs [smile]

But it was a serious walk to school when I missed the bus. 5 miles uphill! Both ways!

I'm just wondering how many people have spouses, parents, etc who does not share their passion for shooting.
I just bought a gun recently, and don't even go to the range on a regular basis

You need to fix that....[smile]

yet, but already hear a lot about better ways to spend money and time [sad] Looks like both Mom and Hubby prefer to see me buying diamond and wasting days and days in shopping centers[thinking] No, they are not gun haters and are all for the Second Amendment. They just do not understand what the heck is so attractive there! I am going to the range tomorrow, hopeful to try my Makarov, and am already preparing myself for a long boring discussion at home[crying]
Hope I'll be able to take both with me some day, but don't know if that will work[thinking]

Most of my family is either neutral on the idea (they just don't give a fu&%) or generally supportive, but also don't really get the attraction. My cousin is the exception, and he and I go to IDPA matches together often. The Boss, is generally supportive, but also feels there's better $$$ spent on other things, but like my family, knows me well enough to know I will do what I want when I want, and best to stay out of my way when I set my mind to a thing. Enjoy your hobby, try to involve them, and know a large % of people, some close to you, will never "get it" when it comes to firearms.

There is Hope!

My wife used to be terrified of guns. It was a little while before I got her to the range. At that time the smallest cal I had has was 9mm. She said that she was still a little afraid of guns but that her first time shooting was fun. So, I got her a .22 and now she loves going to that range. Once she learned all the safe handling techniques she started to be more comfortable and her fear turned into “healthy respect” for firearms.

Hopefully, you will have the same luck as me. Just don’t force them to the range. Try getting them interested by telling them what you did at the range whenever you go. Maybe show them some targets that you shot and show some pictures of the range. Have someone at the range take a picture of you shooting and share that with you mom and husband. Gradually, at least one of them (probably your husband) will take an interest.

Good Luck,
/John

You need to fix that....[smile]
My club application is in process [wink]

The Boss, is generally supportive, but also feels there's better $$$ spent on other things, but like my family, knows me well enough to know I will do what I want when I want, and best to stay out of my way when I set my mind to a thing. Enjoy your hobby, try to involve them, and know a large % of people, some close to you, will never "get it" when it comes to firearms.

My boss at my full-time job already asked if I can take him to the range [grin] But the one at part-time is a liberal anti-gun freak. In fact, she asked me a couple of days ago when am I going to come to work armed and shot everyone[thinking] I in turn said that her aggressive dog is far more dangerous than my gun.
The only family member who I expect to shoot is my step-son, but he need to learn a respect toward guns first. But I already have a number of friends who can't wait for me to become a club member and take them with me to shoot. I'll probably need another 0.22 soon![smile]

Very cool! Of course, you'll have to spend twice as much on guns and ammo now, but hey... at least you don't have to worry about her reacting badly to your new purchase!

YOUR biggest problem is the same as WildWeasel's... your other half may decide that the gun you just bought for yourself is now HERS. [wink]

So very true.[laugh] He also loses some to the boy also.[laugh] I do give him visitation rights. [wink]

So very true.[laugh] He also loses some to the boy also.[laugh] I do give him visitation rights. [wink]

Better than losing all of the new acquisitions. That is the downside of gaining 2 "grandsons", 13 & 15. They seem to attach themselves to all of the firearms. And, they don't have cheap tastes, either. They seem to go for the M14, M1 and Dragunov, as well as the 2 better 10/22's. The AK and SKS get neglected, along with the older bolt guns.

thats why the boy (at 22 I guess he is an OLD boy LOL) has his own, and can "Borrow" dads guns. With Sue I just buy her the ones she wants. but I do get to shoot them. (and maintain them!)

SO I would say the family think guns are FUN!

Yeah, I shouldn't bitch too much. Those 2 lads do a LOT of gun maintenance for me, they do almost all of the cleaning, and for doing me household favors, I pay them in ammo, not money.

I ought to get a shirt for the 15 year old.

"Will work for Ammo"

I even make him help load his own.

Yeah, my BF just told me he had a Ruger 10/22 - I didn't know that. He's gonna bring it to the range on Sat. He said he might negotiate a price with me - there is definitely something HE doesn't know.[smile]

My mom, could care less what I do. ( In a good sense), My dad could care less what I do.(In a good sense), My older bro is a pro- bass player and tours often and works odd jobs when not touring. He could care less. My younger brother works all day and takes care of his 7 year old and 5month old and could care less. My girl's parents both have LTC's but dont carry. To make a long story short. No one cares what i do.

Sadly I purchased my first firearm at the ripe old age of 51. Having been born and raised in The Bronx, NY, the only firearm I ever saw was my dad's German Luger which was stolen in 1965. As I moved on , married and had kids, other things were more important. Settled in NH back in '86. Got into computer gaming and because of Medal Of Honor went to an NRA sponsored clinic, became enamored with their Garand and purchased one. Subsequently purchased an M1 Carbine, MN 91/30, 91/30 sniper (since sold), SVT-40 and a K98 Mauser. Took my then 14 year old son and 9 year old daughter with me to the ranges. My ex-wife had no qualms about it. Interestingly, while the divorce paperwork was still wet I used her as a reference when I obtained my Pistol/Revolver Permit. After-all, who had known me better over the past 25 years? For my daughter's 13th birthday, I bought, for her use, a Beretta U22 Neos as a present. My son uses my Colt AR-15. My oldest daughter and I have still not found the time to get together for her first time on the range but it will come. So.........although I started late in life, my family is in complete agreement with my choice of hobbies.
Ed

Last edited:
Sadly I purchased my first firearm at the ripe old age of 51. Having been born and raised in The Bronx, NY, the only firearm I ever saw was my dad's German Luger which was stolen in 1965. As I moved on , married and had kids, other things were more important. Settled in NH back in '86. Got into computer gaming and because of Medal Of Honor went to an NRA sponsored clinic, became enamored with their Garand and purchased one. Subsequently purchased an M1 Carbine, MN 91/30, 91/30 sniper (since sold), SVT-40 and a K98 Mauser. Took my then 14 year old son and 9 year old daughter with me to the ranges. My ex-wife had no qualms about it. Interestingly, while the divorce paperwork was still wet I used her as a reference when I obtained my Pistol/Revolver Permit. After-all, who had known me better over the past 25 years? For my daughter's 13th birthday, I bought, for her use, a Beretta U22 Neos as a present. My son uses my Colt AR-15. My oldest daughter and I have still not found the time to get together for her first time on the range but it will come. So.........although I started late in life, my family is in complete agreement with my choice of hobbies.
Ed

IS that your daughter in you sig pic?

I'm just wondering how many people have spouses, parents, etc who does not share their passion for shooting.
I just bought a gun recently, and don't even go to the range on a regular basis yet, but already hear a lot about better ways to spend money and time [sad] Looks like both Mom and Hubby prefer to see me buying diamond and wasting days and days in shopping centers[thinking] No, they are not gun haters and are all for the Second Amendment. They just do not understand what the heck is so attractive there! I am going to the range tomorrow, hopeful to try my Makarov, and am already preparing myself for a long boring discussion at home[crying]
Hope I'll be able to take both with me some day, but don't know if that will work[thinking]

My wife has no interest in it at all, but tolerates it. Let's me indulge and encourages me to get out of the house every now and then to unwind at the shooting range (I have a high stress job with long hours).

My younger brother and his wife are both interested (and really enthusiastic) about it, but are too lazy to get off their butts to get a license. Also, I wouldn't trust them with a gun if it was WWIII 'cause I think they'd wind up shooting themselves in the foot.

My youngest brother went shooting with me once. Had a great time, but is really indifferent one way or the other about them. His wife has no interest at all.

I'm basically alone :(

IS that your daughter in you sig pic?

My avatar shows all three of my kids, my sig shows my youngest, then 9.

Another pic from that time period:
edsig2.jpg

Last edited:
Had I thought of that back in 1981, I'd have used it. I thought that she was seriously nuts. She's the type that will never understand that when you carry a gun, you get MORE meek and polite, not arrogant and nutso. Hey, we're talking child of the 60's here. Hippie city.

Funny... in spite of her politics, I love her deeply and would do almost anything for her.* Hey, she's my sister!

*except give up my guns, of course!

Not everyone. The smart ones yes, but strap a six gun on certain personality types and you've got a problem.

By and large, the gun folks I've met over the years have been the most polite, helpful and law abiding people I've had the pleasure to know.

I just bought a gun recently, and don't even go to the range on a regular basis yet, but already hear a lot about better ways to spend money and time [sad] Looks like both Mom and Hubby prefer to see me buying diamond and wasting days and days in shopping centers[thinking] No, they are not gun haters and are all for the Second Amendment. They just do not understand what the heck is so attractive there! I am going to the range tomorrow, hopeful to try my Makarov, and am already preparing myself for a long boring discussion at home[crying]

Apathy. Grew up with a handgun in the house but never shown how to use it. When I was on my own a friend who was a Marine got me interested and showed me how to shoot. My wife is apathetic, my daughter is afraid of guns because of school, and my stepson is too unstable to own a gun. Kids are grown and out of the house and I get more time at the range now.

The kids like to shoot with me. The wife will go if I only bring .22's, no not the .223 type of .22.

Because the wife really doesn't like guns. But she understands the need for 2A so she only supports political candidates that support 2A, or so she says.....lol

Her biggest issue, and I can't for the life of me understand her view point on this..."How many guns do you need?" She asks. Then I ask..."how many pairs of shoes do you need?"

Then I think she understands until the next time and we have to revisit the "How many of those do you need?" issue.

Last edited:
Sweet Necrothread!

Since my father passed away in 2013, I'm the only one left in my entire family that shoots/ hunts/ owns guns. My wife is very supportive but doesn't really have much interest in shooting. Hopefully my kids (2 yrs and 7 months old) will enjoy the shooting sports with me.

Back
Top Bottom