What does your family think about shooting?

Nickle, as Jar mentioned, my point was that maybe your first impression about shooting is what does matter. For instance, a person who was used to a recreational shooting before being exposed to fighting, may still see shooting as a fun activity. But for someone who had seen a gunfight before, shooting may be associated with violence only.

Chuck, does your wife speak Russian? [wink]

My wife (fyi originally Yulia from Baku) likes to go to the range with me. She shoots everything. Even at a lightweight 5'2" her favorite is the 1911.
My niece is an inch shorter than her, and Nickle just about had to pry his 1911 out of her hands. Here she is shooting his AR at age 15.

DSCF0168.jpg

My wife (fyi originally Yulia from Baku) likes to go to the range with me. She shoots everything. Even at a lightweight 5'2" her favorite is the 1911.

Well, that's me! Size doesn't matter a hoot - in fact, it makes it more challenging! I went out to the range this past weekend and ran into some guys who have a huge collection of stuff - i just went crazy! I am thinkin' of buying a Springfield 1911 (accurized) from this guy - wow, was it a dream or what [wink]

Thanks for a nice post.
I didn't really understand about the chipmunk: did you actually buy one, or it's just an expression?[wink]
Dad started to buy me toy guns, tanks, airplanes, etc when I was an infant. I remember asking him for a plastic copy of AK-47, which was making pretty realistic sound as you pull the trigger, and he gave me one for for my fifth B-day [grin] Then I remember going with Dad and brother to the local range and shooting airguns, and how much effort it took me to hold one.
Now I probably understand better how he was feeling teaching me shooting.

Yes, the chipmunk is a rifle that is made for kids. But it turns out that it's no longer created, and the company Rogue was bought out by Crickett.

http://www.crickett.com/

Here's the one that I got her next to my Ruger...just to show you how small it is.

Collectables002.jpg

Chuck, does your wife speak Russian? [wink]

Da. But I just don't have the knack for learning any of it myself. Her Russian/Armenian family got chased out by the rag heads in Azerbaijan and ended up a refugee in Moscow until they emigrated here 15 years ago. Got 3 degrees from BU.

While in high school she was taught to field-strip the AK like everybody else. But she hasn't volunteered to clean anything after a range session yet!

Da. But I just don't have the knack for learning any of it myself. Her Russian/Armenian family got chased out by the rag heads in Azerbaijan and ended up a refugee in Moscow until they emigrated here 15 years ago. Got 3 degrees from BU.
Yeah, I know a couple of Armenian families here who had to flee Azerbaijun to save their lives.[sad]
Say Hi to Yulia. Peredavaj privet[smile]

When my father was 16 he bought the rifle he would later teach me to shoot with. Since he knew his father would beat him with it, my mom hid it in her closet. He's always been progun. He was shocked when I got my LTC because he was under the false idea you had to be police to get one. He got his soon after me.

Mom, even though she hid dad's rifle in her closet was leary of my carrying. She would ask questions and I would answer in love. She's fine with it now and has no problem with carrying when I'm at her home.

Sisters don't really care one way or the other. Middle sister used to shoot woodchucks out the bedroom window when they got in the garden. She, dad, neighbor Mark and I would compete as to how many chucks and rabbits we'd kill each year.

My beautiful bride is a good shot. She got her LTC last year. (THANK YOU LYNNE, SNOWJOKER AND C-PHER FOR THE FIRST LADIES ONLY SAFETY COURSE.). I don't know if my wife will ever carry, but she's got the option now.

Kids are both shooters. My oldest loves .22's. My youngest likes boom and recoil and likes to shoot .44-40.

Beyond those family members few know I carry. I like it that way.

Last edited:
My wife was terrified when i first started. now she has her own LTC and wants to carry. she doesnt get the "enjoyment" that i do from shooting. but she understands and agrees with the right to have one and the NEED to carry for personal protection.

My mother, suprisingly to me, actually wants me to take her shooting. she shot guns as a kid, but didnt care for them around when we were growing up and had a little trouble with me getting into it for fear of my kids "getting a hold of one" [rolleyes] that was until i showed her pics of my son (at 6) at the range and his 25' target with all ten shots within the 8 to 10 ring (one of those very proud daddy moments personally [smile])

the only one that i have is my brother and my sister in law... which bothers me... I have tried countless times to get my brother to go to the range... but he always has a reason not to go. my sister in law almost shit a brick when she found out we had guns in the house and even worse, that i let my son shoot! Im guessing this is why we see them less now and my bro cant ever seem to go to the range. [thinking]

can't win them all over i guess.

Nickle, as Jar mentioned, my point was that maybe your first impression about shooting is what does matter. For instance, a person who was used to a recreational shooting before being exposed to fighting, may still see shooting as a fun activity. But for someone who had seen a gunfight before, shooting may be associated with violence only.

Good point.

My grandparents are really really really big into it, my father and mother thing my habbit have gotten a little out of control, and has hurt my view on everything.

Gun hating family

My wife and I agree to disagree....she hates guns, thinks no one should have them, and no amount of reason can change her mind. It's a belief some people have that transcends logic. My daughter has followed her lead for now. My son doesn't, he enjoys shooting.

i love shooting, especially IDPA. It is a strange way to live, we've been married 22 years. Pretty weird I know...but she respects me enough to leave it alone.

I grew up in a gun family. Ex-wife was an anti

Now I'm single again. A co-worker (Newton) has been trying to set me up with her friends for two years. I said OK only on the condition that she tell them up front that I am a gun owner and that I won't even meet them if they object to that.

So far, I'm 0 for 3.

First wife-very anti, had NH license
Second wife- did not have MA LTC at the time and no guns
Girlfriends after 2nd wife- very anti, no opinion, or doesn't yet know.
Daughter-very anti at first, now accepts it, calls me paranoid
Son-indifferent

Reactions are all over the board.

Took my mom and girlfriend to Harvard today. Mom shot for the first time. Went right from a .22 to the 9mm and did great! Guess I cant blame my flinch on my parents :(

I learned to shoot & respect firearms from my dad. He wasn't really passionate about them, but when he was a kid in (then) rural NJ, there were always some around... it's just the way it was when & where he grew up, so he passed on the knowledge.

My mom on the other hand hates guns, and can't understand why we have them around our homes (even locked up). She's asked me more then once "Why do you need to have guns?". My answer is along the lines of "I hope I never do need them", but she still doesn't get it. She was a Pittsburgh girl, and I'm guessing there weren't too many ranges in town. It's just the way it was when & where she grew up.

As for my fiancee, she's from Russia, where there is no such thing as CCW. She tolerates my hobby, but doesn't want to see my guns, never having had them around her place as a kid. Just the way it was, when & where she grew up.

As for my daughter... when she's old enough, she'll learn how to shoot. Hopefully, she'll learn to respect firearms and appreciate marksmanship, even if she never takes it up as a hobby... because that's the way it'll be when & where she grows up.

I met a guy at the range today (Harvard) who was there with his girlfriend and her parents (her mom was 80 and a serious hoot! - so thrilled to shoot the .22 it was great to see).

Anyway, he was telling me that he made his daughters learn to do things like shoot and rock climb... and now that they're 23, 22, and 18, they're discovering that when they meet guys and the guys find out that they rock climb and shoot... the guys are blown away and think that the girls are very cool... so the girls are now very happy that their dad taught them all that. Funny how that all works out in the end, isn't it?

Anyway, he was telling me that he made his daughters learn to do things like shoot and rock climb... and now that they're 23, 22, and 18, they're discovering that when they meet guys and the guys find out that they rock climb and shoot... the guys are blown away and think that the girls are very cool... so the girls are now very happy that their dad taught them all that. Funny how that all works out in the end, isn't it?

Thank you sir -- you have given me more ammunition (no pun intended) to use if I end up getting resistance when it comes time to introduce my daughter to the air rifle for the first time. [smile]

My wife was horrified when I brought it up a little over two years ago.
She had never held a gun and was both misinformed about and frightened by them. In her mind, a gun was ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY an instrument for murder. Her secondary thoughts were wondering if I knew how to use one and where it would be stored since we have a young boy.

She has since seen all the classe taken, the proficiency and care, and the careful secure storage. Her support for a hobby that keeps me interested and educated has been amazing.

I have had my Class A FALP for about 8 mo. I also plan on going for a C&R and a machinegun license, She has gotten to the point that she feels better about it but still is a bit intimidated by the idea of ever handling it.

My parents, they are all for it. Dad is a Marine and thought it a good idea. Ma was ma. She just wants everything to be done as safely as possible.

Most of my close friends have the same permits or more. Most of the other friends are "freedom rights" oriented.

It is a very supportive environment.

My in-laws are the only ones slightly opposed. They are pretty churchy types, so I'm not surprised.

When my son gets older (like ~9), I'll start him off on airsoft or some pellet gun. Later he can go to .22.
He doesn't have to take it up. I just want him to know what to do should he ever stumble across one so he, or his friends, don't get hurt.

Last edited:
They are pretty churchy types, so I'm not surprised.
Careful of your stereotypes there my friend. I have faith in Christ and I am VERY involved in my church. I even carry when I go to church. I could introduce you to 10 or so more gun owners from my church most of whom would have no problem sending a BG to "meet Jesus". I do admit that some denominations are pacifists and I respect their right to be so, but we're not all the same.

Careful of your stereotypes there my friend. I have faith in Christ and I am VERY involved in my church. I even carry when I go to church. I could introduce you to 10 or so more gun owners from my church most of whom would have no problem sending a BG to "meet Jesus". I do admit that some denominations are pacifists and I respect their right to be so, but we're not all the same.
There are some very religious folks who do NOT believe "turning the other cheek" means "bend over for it".

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!! [wink]

There are some very religious folks who do NOT believe "turning the other cheek" means "bend over for it".

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!!

Can I get an "AMEN"?!?!

When my son gets older (like ~9), I'll start him off on airsoft or some pellet gun. Later he can go to .22.
He doesn't have to take it up. I just want him to know what to do should he ever stumble across one so he, or his friends, don't get hurt.

just wondering... why wait until he is 9? don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your parenting. I got my son a Red Ryder bb gun when he was 6. 3 months later he was shooting the P22. I now have a .22 single shot bolt action for him too.

He is actually a pretty freaking good shot!

My thought... don't wait. Hopefully you have at least gone over gun safety rules with him.

Yeah, I remember in CCD everytime the teacher's would say "what would jesus do" I'd always blurt out "with a gun" at the end of it. [smile] Needless to say, CCD was a very problematic time for me. Apparantely they frown upon questioning everything. [rolleyes]

Can I get an "AMEN"?!?!

just wondering... why wait until he is 9? don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your parenting. I got my son a Red Ryder bb gun when he was 6. 3 months later he was shooting the P22. I now have a .22 single shot bolt action for him too.

He is actually a pretty freaking good shot!

My thought... don't wait. Hopefully you have at least gone over gun safety rules with him.

Well, I can tell you that when I found out that we were having a baby...I RAN out and bought a Chipmunk and I said.

The plan, get a BB gun into her hand at 5, and the .22 shortly after. Hell, that's what happened to me.

Well, she's not the greatest of listeners. So, we're waiting until I think that she really can.

She does tell me that she can't touch the Chipmunk because she's not old enough. She also will tell you if you ask her what to do if she sees a gun. She'll tell you that she needs to leave it along, get a parent, or adult and let them know.

But, I just don't think that she's ready to listen about muzzle direction..she just gets too excited to quickly. Maybe later this year...who knows. She's a good kid and can listen really well when she wants. But I still think that she's not ready.

Just my two cents. I don't think that there's a Magic age when they start shooting... I think that each parent has to judge when their child is ready to start shooting.

Back
Top Bottom