What does your family think about shooting?

I'm just wondering how many people have spouses, parents, etc who does not share their passion for shooting.
I just bought a gun recently, and don't even go to the range on a regular basis yet, but already hear a lot about better ways to spend money and time [sad] Looks like both Mom and Hubby prefer to see me buying diamond and wasting days and days in shopping centers[thinking] No, they are not gun haters and are all for the Second Amendment. They just do not understand what the heck is so attractive there! I am going to the range tomorrow, hopeful to try my Makarov, and am already preparing myself for a long boring discussion at home[crying]
Hope I'll be able to take both with me some day, but don't know if that will work[thinking]

My dad and my brother both love to come to the range. My mom, surprisingly, seems to be okay with it all, even though she made my dad give it up. My GF, though, does not care for it at all.

I have to say that almost everyone in my family and my wife's family shoot or did shoot as some are in their 80s now. I grew up with guns and hunting back when you could hang the rifles on the wall unlocked and in a rack.

No gun grabbers that I have seen or talked to so far but my wife has limits on my purchases lately and probably with good reason. Though she is licensed too and shoots almost as much as me in the warmer weather. Almost all of my friends shoot and have their own guns.

I wonder why that is now that you mentioned it!

My wife is like your husband. She's not exactly anti-gun, she just doesn't see the excitement. She's afraid of them in the house around the kid, but happy enough to go to the range and shoot occasionally. My dad loved shooting when he was young, but hasn't really been active since my very anti mother put the kibosh on his activities before my brother and I were born. I keep meaning to get him out to the range. My brother just thinks my interest in guns is extremely weird because, as he said, "you're not a crazy right wing type." I just smiled and said, "yup, you're right, I'm not."

When I met my wife, 33 years ago, she hated guns. She wouldn't let me bring them into her appartment.

As you saw from my other post, Saturday she took her LTC Class, and went today to apply for her license.

It only took me 33 years to get her to stop hating guns. Letting me have guns in her house, to letting me talk about shooting, to finally get her to go herself.

I love the sport, and have since I was 6. Some people just "get it" and why it's so much fun, and some don't.

Good luck Yelana, you sound like a good person.

The Wife is getting into shooting and doing very well at it

renee .22 indoors.jpg

I grew up in a "gun free" house. My mom was pretty anti, up until I started carrying when I would go to her house. She tolerates them much more now, and appreciates my hobby.

My dad used to shoot with my grandmother when they he was growing up, then grandmother got shot by a ND when he was 13 or so and he pretty much stopped shooting. I did get him out to the range a couple years back. He never had any problems with me owning guns when I lived with him, and was always up for checking out the new steel.

My wifes family was pretty anti when I met her. My MIL is a triage nurse and only see the bad side of guns. She never wanted guns in the house but, she accepted for the fact that my FIL had a pistol that was handed down from his dad (WWII capture). Funny thing was that when my FIL found out that I was into guns he showed me the WWII pistol. Then he took out an old revolver chambered in .38S&W, I swear everyone in the family's jaw dropped. I was like "cool", my MIL said, "what the hell is that and how long has it been in my house"? His replied was, "I used to deliver papers for the Journal at 2a.m. in some pretty bad areas. You bet your ass I was packing a gun."

My little lady got an early start with firearms, when she was 4 years old she climbed up on a stool and and got a hold of her older brothers shotgun, loaded it, and blew away the ceiling light! Needless to say she couldn't sit for a week afterwards. She went hunting with him and leaned a great deal about gun safety after that.

Her mantra is, "Mike, do you have enought guns and ammo in case SHTF?" Her favorite t.v. shows are Future Weapons and Weaponology. I swear if Hoppe's #9 came in a spray bottle she'd wear it as a perfume!

I have no problems at all either from my family or from my friends or from the people at work. I have a few who have asked me to take them shooting, others love it when I ask them to come along! No problems at all.

I grew up with them. My grandfather gave me a .22 when I was six. I still have it.

Every family reunion, we all would go out to my grandfather's farm...the grownups would put sticks in the ground and hand cans on them for the kids to shoot with .22s. The Grownups would skeet shoot. We'd do that until dinner was ready, then after we ate, we would go back out and shoot some more.

My family has always had guns in the house.

My wife doesn't really care. When I met her, she wouldn't even look into the safe. Last year, she took the lady's LTC class with Lynne...and this year she applied for her permit.

So, she's slowing moving over... Her father and brother both LOVE to shoot. But that's about it...no one else in her family cares.

My parents while supposedly not against 2A rights are definitely against firearms. I've gotten some weird flack some days coming back from the range. And of course my mom still won't let me keep a firearm in the house so right now it looks like I will need to wait until I finish up school.

My girlfriend on the other hand was pretty easy to 'convert'. She didn't like the idea of me shooting at first, but it looks like I will be getting her to come with me to the range one of these days.

From Anti to Pro - can't get better then that. Took about 2 years to convert but they all have been out shooting and enjoy it. My sister is sitting down this month for her license.

Everyone in our house is a shooter. Hubby's mom also has her LTC. Now my mom good lord, she wouldn't let my Dad have ANY firearms in the house.[rolleyes] So my brother and I make up for it.[laugh] She about had a coronary when my brother and I were checking out each others LTC. [laugh]

I grew up in a gun family. Ex-wife was an anti

Now I'm single again. A co-worker (Newton) has been trying to set me up with her friends for two years. I said OK only on the condition that she tell them up front that I am a gun owner and that I won't even meet them if they object to that.

So far, I'm 0 for 3.

Now I'm single again. A co-worker (Newton) has been trying to set me up with her friends for two years. I said OK only on the condition that she tell them up front that I am a gun owner and that I won't even meet them if they object to that.

So far, I'm 0 for 3.

[laugh] I don't think I could be with someone who's anti. I enjoy it too much.

MOM = quasi-anti (she just is afraid, but not against)
DAD = supportive, but not really interested.
2 SISTERS = Both love shooting, love that I own/carry, and constantly bug me to take them to the range.
Girlfriend = Love's shooting, Pro 2nd, supportive, wants to carry herself, doesn't support me spending $$ on them, still thinks I own 2 guns because if she really knew I wouldn't have fingers to type with.
Cubby "cat" = First litter box was an ammo can, until we went to Petco and gave him the hookup. Generally keeps me company when I'm cleaning the guns so I think he's Pro 2nd.

So far, I'm 0 for 3.

Hey NS, I'm right there with you. After the end of a long term relationship where the GF hated guns (yet still expected me get out of bed and go to see what the "noise" was sans firearm, yeah right.) Now any applicants for this highly sensitive position must pass the "test." It consists of the following:

A: I shoot, frequently. You may come too, but I won't stop.
B: I spend money on firearms; that is ok.
C: I carry a firearm often; that is ok.

One thing I will say is that in my twenties, in Massachusetts, a woman who put up with guns in lieu of interest in them was a rare find in my circles. Now, well into my thirties, I find that most women are so blown away to find a straight, employed, single man without kids/issues, that most everything else appears to be negotiable, thus leading me to believe that men should wait until their thirties to select a mate when your bargaining power goes up considerably.

The rest of the family hates them...ugh.[sad2]

N

Hey NS, I'm right there with you. After the end of a long term relationship where the GF hated guns (yet still expected me get out of bed and go to see what the "noise" was sans firearm, yeah right.) Now any applicants for this highly sensitive position must pass the "test." It consists of the following:

A: I shoot, frequently. You may come too, but I won't stop.
B: I spend money on firearms; that is ok.
C: I carry a firearm often; that is ok.

One thing I will say is that in my twenties, in Massachusetts, a woman who put up with guns in lieu of interest in them was a rare find in my circles. Now, well into my thirties, I find that most women are so blown away to find a straight, employed, single man without kids/issues, that most everything else appears to be negotiable, thus leading me to believe that men should wait until their thirties to select a mate when your bargaining power goes up considerably.

The rest of the family hates them...ugh.[sad2]

N

Raoul
I wish I was in my 30's. That's getting to be a long time ago. I'm afraid my pickings are getting kind of slim.

Your list is right on. I may be a little more militant than you. I was dating a woman a couple of years ago who asked me to take her to the range. In a highly controversial decision I declined. I won't go into my reasoning on the matter, but I could tell she was actually relieved. If she is already a gun owner then we'll go and have a great time, but at my age, I'm not interested in converting people.

You'll fine one..hang in there!

My wife comes from a family that never had firearms, so she was a little slow to accept it. She tolerates me buying, building, shooting and carrying guns, but she really doesn't give me too much grief. She's taking the GOAL course this month and she intends to apply for her Class A license, so she's moving in the right direction.

I've taken all my kids shooting and they enjoy it. They understand firearm safety and, even though all my guns are stored in a safe, I would trust them to be responsible if I didn't. They also know I carry and it's simply not a big deal to them. My 17-year-old son is indifferent about firearms, as he is about most things in life other than the Red Sox. My 14-year-old daughter tells me she gets a little "creeped out" when she sees me looking at the computer if there's a picture of a gun on the screen, but she's OK, and she really likes the Walther P-22 with the laser. My 10-year-old son, God bless him, wants a .22 rifle for his birthday.

Growing up, our family always had guns in the house, and we were all shooters. My mother never understood why the rest of us actually enjoyed shooting as a sport and hobby, but otherwise she would shoot from time to time with us. Of course where we lived, police response didn't come in seconds or minutes; you were lucky to see a sheriff's car 20 or 30 minutes after a call most days. Some days longer, if the resident deputy was occupied on the other side of his patrol area (they patrolled alone over huge areas of backcountry). If something happened, we were pretty much on our own to resolve it. Everyone had guns in the home.

Currently, my wife supports gun ownership, but she has no interest in them herself.

My mother is anti-gun, but she lives in the UK so what do you expect? [rolleyes]

All the rest of my family (well, my wife, her parents and siblings) are all very supportive. My wife actually encourages me, I think she's happy to see me have a hobby that I enjoy. She of course doesn't always agree with the money I spend - but that would be the same if it were golf or fishing I was into. She isn't a big gun person herself, but has said she'd love to come shooting with me at some point after the baby is born. My father in law is VERY happy to have a fellow gun lover in the family. He got me interested in the hobby in the first place, and is now pleased to have someone share his interest with since his sons aren't big gun people.

My father doesn't care...Talk to me about my guns here and there.

My mother doesn't care for them...I could have my sidearm holstered and not have a shirt concealing it, and she'll say "Is it loaded?! [shocked]" She doesn't go near them and doesn't give me shit about having them, so I don't care.

Jaclyn doesn't really care for them, but doesn't mind me having them. She's gone shooting with me before and isn't a bad shot, actually. I'm trying to convince her to get her LTC.

Although the family has a rich military history documented back to Myles Standish and then some, somewhere along the line they drifted away from shooting. No "antis" so to speak but I'm trying to revive shooting in my branch of the tree. Got Dad out to the range last year for the first time since the Korean War and he's looking forward to returning. Mom is up for it as well, never held a gun in her life but I think it's something she'd like to experience. My oldest daughter may be unwrapping a stripped lower for her sweet sixteen next month with more parts to follow as she achieves certain goals (get a job, pass her license test, etc.). My younger daughter will probably be making her first trip out to the range in the next few weeks. Plan is to get them both familiar with shooting, farming and cooking. Just may be a skill set that will be in demand 20 years from now.

Whenever a niece or nephew comes around for a visit I try to get a few hours of range time in with them.

My wife? Tried it, didn't like it, but doesn't get in the way. Her complaints are basically sympathy for the FedEx driver when he comes struggling out of his truck with some wooden crate or other from the CMP.

Back
Top Bottom