What does your family think about shooting?

My Wifes a member here. She's got her own gun collection, and we've done multiple firearms classes together , including range classes.

Her dad used to shoot and build black powder rifles many many years ago, and we are fortunate to be able to have one displayed on our wall.

Other than that, my mom and dad, pushing their 80's, dont care for anything firearms related. My mother "does not like guns" period.

I have posted this before else where on this forum, but I will run it again. When I was dating my now wife of 36 years I told her I don't stop at the bars on the way home from work, I don't spend my Sunday's watching sports on TV. My only hobby is firearms and you will go before they will. We are both still happy after all these years.

Everyone in my family that I bother keeping in touch with shoots and that isn't going to change.

When I was a much younger man, & someone asked me how many weapons I had, I would tell them I can’t answer that, because of the response I get back from the asker of the question. i would tell them people get upset
so they would continue to prod, till I give a response............
I guess it was more guns than they thought anyone should have
& they would be upset I had so many. 😡

so now I don’t have any guns 💪
My response is "I don't know, but I could count them if necessary". When asked "what do you mean you don't know", I reply with "Do you know exactly how many socks you own?".

Last edited:
My wife views it as any other of my hobbies - something that I will waste money on.
Not opposed to guns in general, just to spending money on guns. :)

And hopefully, she never changes, because the day she says to you " Thank God you have enough guns and ammo!", will be the day that the proverbial shit has hit the fan.

I’ve been grooming my twin brother and older brother for sometime with little video snippets of mag dumps and steel gongs-a-ringing. Told them I would take them to the range the day after T-giving. My older brother states a no-go as his wife disapproves. He was sour about it. I told my wife about that and she said, “Who in the world wears the pants in that family!?”

I love my wife 😍

My Significant Other (we live together) isn’t crazy about them but doesn’t give me a hard time about them either. She knows I carry all the time and understands that sometimes it’s a consideration at events/functions we may go to and is ok when once in a while I’ll ask about security/metal detectors if I’m meeting her somewhere. Her friends are mostly die hard lib gun haters and I think she gets a little charge out of letting them know I’m not one of them. Her frequent parting comment is “don’t shot anyone today”. Her kids/fam HATE guns and would be apoplectic if they had any idea what I had. My fam doesn’t care for the most part.

Last edited:
Wife has the most bizzare irrational fears. Like what if a kid broke in got ahold of my guns and shot himself.

I just counter with equally obscure scenarios. Like what if big foot broke in got one of my AR's and shot santa... conversation ends after that usually
You cannot childproof your guns but you can gun proof your children. - Massad Ayoob

I’ve been grooming my twin brother and older brother for sometime with little video snippets of mag dumps and steel gongs-a-ringing. Told them I would take them to the range the day after T-giving. My older brother states a no-go as his wife disapproves. He was sour about it. I told my wife about that and she said, “Who in the world wears the pants in that family!?”

Apparently, your sister-in-law does. I guess he's happy with a chain locked around his Johnson. [thinking]

I love my wife 😍

As you should. She sounds like a smart woman.

Apparently, your sister-in-law does. I guess he's happy with a chain locked around his Johnson. [thinking]

I should say that I HOPE he's happy with the chain, etc. That sourness you talked about... Yeah, I'm familiar with that feeling from when I was married to my EX-wife. I hope your brother can work it out or come to terms with it somehow.

Back
Top Bottom