• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What does your club allow?

This is why I still havent joined a club. It's either difficult to get into because you need a sponsor that's been there for over 2 years (and you need to know someone), it's too far away or the rules are not worth the $200 something bucks (initiation fee and membership fee) to decide after a year it isnt for you.

1) I don't know any club that has such requirements. As for getting a sponsor, at the one club that I belong to that requires a sponsor, all you have to do is go to an action shooting practice, or a Sunday breakfast and start talking with folks. Or post here on NES that you'd like to look at the club. It isn't the big hurdle that you are making it out to be.

2) As for the money, if you shoot much at all, a club costs far less than a commercial range.

As for whining about club rules, yes some clubs have rules that seem foolish. Some of those rules may, in fact, be foolish. But others are likely there for a reason. All it takes is for one round to leave the range and the club can be shut down. That has happened several times in MA.

Finding out who the moron was who shot the baffles is easier said than done. I've been a club officer. I've spent many, many hours with other club officers going over (and over and over) club rules. I've spent many Sunday mornings giving orientation to new members, explaining the rules, going over the reasoning behind them. I've spent many hours with other officers discussing miscreants who have done stupid things and what is the appropriate action to take.

It would be nice to have no rules. But until I have my own 100 acres somewhere, that just isn't realistic.

In short, I've got little tolerance for folks who whine about rules when they haven't put their shoulder to the wheel helping keep the club going.

Last edited:
1) I don't know any club that has such requirements. As for getting a sponsor, at the one club that I belong to that requires a sponsor, all you have to do is go to an action shooting practice, or a Sunday breakfast and start talking with folks. Or post here on NES that you'd like to look at the club.

2) As for the money, if you shoot much at all, a club costs far less than a commercial range.

I need to devote more time into searching/researching too. A member here PM'ed me concerning my post and gave some suggestions which was helpful. This hobby is such a bonding type deal. It isnt an Anne Rice book club. I want to help build, do spring clean ups, get involved with recreations, etc... I just need to find the right family and convenient locations AKA dont want to drive 45 minutes to a club where no one cares about anything but their stuff.

I'm in this game to learn, not just to pull mechanisms for BOOM power.

EDIT: and I shoot more than enough that it's definitely time (says my wallet) to join a club soon!

I agree with M1911. If you want to join a club, go to the monthly meeting or to an open range day and talk to folks. My sponsor for both of my clubs were folks either from NES or that I met at a range day(or both) and I didn't have to wait months or years to join.

If you want to shoot, go to the range and shoot. Harvard has lots of meets that are open to anyone, and are great fun. You will usually even run into some NES-folk.

Join a club Emoto!! Well worth it even with the rules in place. None of the rules are arbitrary but are the result of someone or something. Most clubs I think allow full capacity and rapidfire with the permission of the range officer and I just about always give the okay if I'm there.
Half of The morons shooting up the place don't even realize they are on camera. Go figure but you can't legislate common sense.

Join a club Emoto!! Well worth it even with the rules in place. None of the rules are arbitrary but are the result of someone or something. Most clubs I think allow full capacity and rapidfire with the permission of the range officer and I just about always give the okay if I'm there.
Half of The morons shooting up the place don't even realize they are on camera. Go figure but you can't legislate common sense.

Oh, I already belong to two clubs. [smile] I was considering adding one more to get a longer rifle range than what my current clubs have.

None of the rules are arbitrary? Right. [laugh]

I need to devote more time into searching/researching too.

What's the big deal? Look at the web site of the clubs near you. See what clubs have facilities that you want. Post here on NES that you'd like to visit the club. Most likely someone here on NES is a member and will be glad to take you as a guest.

A lot of folks in this thread assume that there are two kinds of shooters: 1) those that are safe and 2) morons that will never be safe. They then assert that therefore you don't need rules because the group 1 guys are already safe and the group 2 guys will never be safe no matter what the rules are.

As is usual of such debates, that is a cute sounding oversimplification that is simply wrong.

Here in the US, many men seem to be under the delusion that they were born knowing how to shoot, when, in fact, everything they learned about shooting and gun safety they learned from Hollywood. People aren't born knowing gun safety -- they are taught it. In between group 1 and group 2 is the largest group, group 3. They can be safe if they are properly taught AND if they are given regular reminders about gun safety (which is basically what the gun club rules are). Even diligent people forget things over time and get into bad habits.

Last edited:
This wasn't intended to be a "Out" your club thread and the point of it was simple. I was just curious if there was any difference between clubs as far as what's considered safe and what's allowed.
It wasn't that long ago when machine gun shoots were an annual event and steel was no big deal. I love my club like Mom, the NRA and kittens and I sure don't want a job on the board. Far to much work for the glory received with little thanks.

Wait, so you'll complain about the rules but do nothing to help change them?

the club I belong to now has a couple rules. 1.dont shoot before 930 or after dusk. 2.clean up. 3.shoot safely

I grew up in PA (80's and early 90's) and I remember the range where my Dad brought my brother and I shooting (our backyard was limited to 50 yards before a steep hill and he didnt want to shoot near deer season). It was town-owned, 10$ a year, but it went up to 15$. It was right on a road across the street from houses, like 100 feet from them! Convenient if you live there. I remember driving by on Sunday mornings and all the trap shooters were lined up no more than 30' off the road, cars passing by and all. No one thought anything of it and I'm sure its the same today

A lot of folks in this thread assume that there are two kinds of shooters: 1) those that are safe and 2) morons that will never be safe. They then assert that therefore you don't need rules because the group 1 guys are already safe and the group 2 guys will never be safe no matter what the rules are.

As is usual of such debates, that is a cute sounding oversimplification that is simply wrong.

Here the US, many men seem to be under the delusion that they were born knowing how to shoot, when, in fact, everything they learned about shooting and gun safety they learned from Hollywood. People aren't born knowing gun safety -- they are taught it. In between group 1 and group 2 is the largest group, group 3. They can be safe if they are properly taught AND if they are given regular reminders about gun safety (which is basically what the gun club rules are). Even diligent people forget things over time and get into bad habits.

Well said.

Getting involved at a couple different clubs either as a board or committee member as really opened my eyes to this. It's the people who ~think~ they know everything and don't care about what anyone else has to say about it that are the problem. We get tons of new shooters who come in and say "Hey, I'm pretty new at this stuff can you help me out?" It's very rare that one of those guys becomes an issue.

With that said, the rules are there to help keep the "know it alls" in check. They're 100% about safety and there's a legitimate reason for every one.

My club is full nude, no touching and you have to put the dollar bills on the rope or on the stage.

In all seriousness: I understand stupidity needs to be curtailed to keep a club open, but I'm trying to find a club that's got a happy medium of this and being able to do what I like.

Getting involved at a couple different clubs either as a board or committee member as really opened my eyes

I was on the BoD for a club in NH. You know what it taught me?

Never join the BoD at a gun club again.

At any given club, 5% of the members do most of the shit necessary to keep the place running. The rest of them whine and complain.

At any given club, 5% of the members do most of the shit necessary to keep the place running. The rest of them whine and complain.

Yeah, there's a lot of stress and BS that comes with the (largely thankless) job. Someone has to do it though.

Here in the US, many men seem to be under the delusion that they were born knowing how to shoot, when, in fact, everything they learned about shooting and gun safety they learned from Hollywood. People aren't born knowing gun safety -- they are taught it. In between group 1 and group 2 is the largest group, group 3. They can be safe if they are properly taught AND if they are given regular reminders about gun safety (which is basically what the gun club rules are). Even diligent people forget things over time and get into bad habits.

100%
Everybody thinks they are the safest gun handler just like everybody thinks they are the best driver on the road.

That is the case in any type of club or volunteer organization. Everybody thinks there schedule is so much more busy than everybody else's, so they "don't have the time".

Everybody thinks they are the safest gun handler just like everybody thinks they are the best driver on the road.

I'm reading Thinking, Fast and Slow right now. One of the sections talks about how most people think they are better than average at almost everything. Problem: the less experiential data we have available to us, the greater the use of our fantasy selves is estimated, and the greater our confidence that the estimate is right.

As the true experts might say, "it took me 40 years to learn how little I know about the world."

Back
Top Bottom