What does this sign mean?

Beretta92FS

NES Member
What does this sign mean?

Does it mean that

1: hunting is general open year around between Sunrise and Sunset, but between Columbus Day and Thanksgiving hunting with rifles and handguns are not allowed?

or

2: The only time hunting is only allowed are between Sunrise and Sunset between Columbus Day and Thanksgiving and that no rifles and handguns may be used?

large.jpg

That time-frame coincides with the bird season so I'd say #1. I used to hunt squirrel, chipmunk and other small game (in Wildlife Management Areas) that were in season or not listed with a .22 up until October. Of course that was about 30+ years ago so who knows what tricks DFW is using to trip people up these days....

I believe it’s for WMA’s that are stocked with pheasant.
This is correct. Those are he signs posted on WMA stocked with pheasant. During the pheasant season on stocked land hunting is limited to sun rise to sunset (rather then the usual half hour before sunrise to half our after sunset) and also only shotguns and bows are allowed on pheasant stocked land during pheasant season even when hunting game that usually allows rifles like squirrel and rabbit.

Looks like land is open for deer season only.
Not correct. Those are the signs on WMA land stocked for pheasant....pheasant season is sat after Columbus day to Saturday after Thanksgiving sunrise to sunset and only shotguns are allowed on pheasant stocked land.

Ah! So in other words, outside of the period listed, it’s open for hunting as usual, so squirrels and coyotes with rifle, turkey with shotguns etc.?

Not correct. Those are the signs on WMA land stocked for pheasant....pheasant season is sat after Columbus day to Saturday after Thanksgiving sunrise to sunset and only shotguns are allowed on pheasant stocked land.

Ah! So in other words, outside of the period listed, it’s open for hunting as usual, so squirrels and coyotes with rifle, turkey with shotguns etc.?
Correct. However check the abstract on squirrel......rifles and handguns are only allowed for squirrel in zones 1-9. 10-14 is shotgun or bow only on grey squirrel. Mass makes things tough......you have to be careful and check the abstract on everything.

I asked a warden about the shotgun and bow only on squirrel in zones 10-14 and he said it is due to housing density......firing a 22 into trees in 10-14 is less safe due to more homes in the areas that abut huntable property. Kind of makes sense......personally I always hunt grey squirrel with a shotgun anyway because I don't ever consider firing a 22 upward into a tree to be a safe bet.

Correct. However check the abstract on squirrel......rifles and handguns are only allowed for squirrel in zones 1-9. 10-14 is shotgun or bow only on grey squirrel. Mass makes things tough......you have to be careful and check the abstract on everything.

Don't the abstracts have some f***ed up law that basically says that, given the correct zone, you can legally hunt squirrels with an M1 Garand, but it would be illegal to use the
same on a deer? [laugh]

-Mike

Don't the abstracts have some f***ed up law that basically says that, given the correct zone, you can legally hunt squirrels with an M1 Garand, but it would be illegal to use the
same on a deer? [laugh]

-Mike
Your absolutely correct mike. It is perfectly legal to use an m1 garand to hunt squirrel in zones 1-9........but not for deer.

The mass hunting impliment regulations are quite jacked up. Another example is that while hunting coyote during daylight hours you can use a rifle of any caliber......but if you have a shotgun you can't use a slug on a coyote unless it's during the 2 week deer season....oh....and no buckshot on coyote either.......here's the copy paste on coyote hunting impliments from the regs below. Here's my beef with it......if I'm hunting a WMA for coyote outside of deer season......I can use an ar-15 or an m1 garand legally.....of which the projo can travel an unbelievable distance.....but if I have a shotgun...... NO SLUGS.......and can only use shot sizes that limit my effective range to about 50-60 yards. So......f***ing......stupid.

Shotguns: Only shot sizes up to and including FF (.230 inches diameter). Slugs, single balls and buckshot may only be used during the shotgun deer season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom