• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What does survival?

jmjkd

Instructor
I posted this on my Martial Arts forum and got some opinions and on another survival forum but I wanted to post it here as well to see what you guys think.

Survival means so many things to different people at different times.

What does survival mean to you?

not dying? aka....surviving?

This.

Many people confuse living (i.e. getting 1500+ calories per day with plenty of water, sleeping in their comfy beds while the power is out at home) with surviving (500 or less calories per day with minimal water while lost with no shelter and minimal sleep).

Surviving is being able to have nothing lost in the wilderness and not die of dehydration, hypothermia or starvation.

not dying? aka....surviving?

Agreed. If we are just talking about survival, then I would say it's about staying alive (food, water, shelter, physical health, maybe a dash of mental health). I think survival, all by itself, is a short-term thing, e.g. the bear is attacking I need to survive the next few minutes; Man overboard, I need to survive until I can get picked up by some random fishing boat; plane crashed in wilderness, need to find food, water and shelter until rescued; down behind enemy lines, need to make it to a safe zone; zombie hoards attacking, need to find safe place to hole up. I say survival is a short-term thing because I wouldn't want to be in "survival mode" for a long period of time. It's like running, you can sprint for a short time, but to win (or at least finish) the marathon you need to know how to pace yourself and use your resources appropriately. I believe that there is a point where you need to transition from basic survival to something more substantive. This would include things that we, as humans, need to thrive. I won't try to list these items as every person probably has their own set of needs.

Using whatever skills, tools and the will available to you to not die. It might be being able to start a fire while you are soaking wet and it is 10 degrees out. Being able to talk your way out of a bad situation. Being able to fight your way out if needed. Being able to run faster than the other guy if you are being chased by a bear. Growing a garden to provide food when there is none to be had.

My great great aunt was in a Nazi work camp with her kids in WW2. She did whatever she needed to do to get the guards to let her out into the forest to gather wild foodstuffs. That food helped keep her and her 2 children alive. She had the knowledge to know what plants were good and the courage to do what needed to be done. Thats survival.

has anyone had a life or death experience? I have had a few and have also experience one with another person who had the reaper standing over her.
I don't know what's better, to have experienced this or to never experience this. I guess it depends on how you come through it.

Survival means making it from one side of an emergency situation (the beginning) to the other side (the end) with the ability to keep functioning and be able to participate in and enjoy the following day.

More or less.

As Bob-Sig stated each scenario calls for different thought processes but when it comes down to it whatsurvival means to me is to make the best of what I have to work with to make it through. That is why most of us here prep to some point some more than others,but we do these things to make sure that we can be as self sufficient as possible and to protect what we love and to ultimately give us the best chances of survival.

I posted this on my Martial Arts forum and got some opinions and on another survival forum but I wanted to post it here as well to see what you guys think.

Survival means so many things to different people at different times.

What does survival mean to you?

What does it mean to you Joe?

coastie to me survival is Black or white. Meaning a situation has already happened and I am starting to expire and the outcome reversed…I survived.

Man shot in the head….survived
60% of the body was burned…survived
Unconscious man pulled out of a lake after 10 minutes completly submerged ….survived

Back
Top Bottom