• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what does "dehorned" mean?

Pardon the somewhat newbish question, but I keep seeing the term "dehorned" when perusing ads for 1911s and have no idea what that means or why it is desirable. The only 1911 I owned was the Ruger SR1911 so that was my only direct experience with the platform and have no clue whether it was dehorned or not.

I believe it means all sharp edges are rounded off and the benefit is it won't catch on clothing with as much frequency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it means all sharp edges are rounded off and the benefit is it won't catch on clothing with as much frequency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You believe correctly. It can vary to a light rounding to an extensive job that makes the 1911 slide look like a stock of butter that has spent some time in the sun.

That's kind of what I was thinking it meant, but felt I should ask anyway rather than assume. Because looking at the pics, it wasn't readily apparent with the profiling, I thought it may have been some internal modification.

You believe correctly. It can vary to a light rounding to an extensive job that makes the 1911 slide look like a stock of butter that has spent some time in the sun.

"Melting" is another term (not in the bad sense though).

Makes me wonder if your description is where the term was derived from?

I think another term is like slide melt or something. I know I've heard that somewhere before.

Beat me to it... I was Googling pics for it.

It's one of those things that's a solution to an nonexistent problem, but may serve it's purpose for competitive speed

shooters and the like.

It's also something that can be taken to unnecessary extremes.

Last edited:
Ask Lorena...

images

"Melting" is another term (not in the bad sense though).

Makes me wonder if your description is where the term was derived from?

Beat me to it... I was Googling pics for it.

It's one of those things that's a solution to an nonexistent problem, but may serve it's purpose for competitive speed

shooters and the like.

Dehorning is good for competition pistols because it's hard to shoot a gun fast and accurately if it has sharp edges that chew up your hands.

Back
Top Bottom