What do you use for sights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have never used a fiber optic sight on an AR, but I do have these.

http://www.laruetactical.com/combo-sight-set-troy-front-tritium-and-plain-rear-black

In low light they do work very well. That being said, they are my back up irons to an optic so I do not use them all that often.

Sorry for the poor focus.

DSCN1015.jpg

DSCN1014.jpg

Last edited:
I have never used a fiber optic sight on an AR, but I do have these.

http://www.laruetactical.com/combo-sight-set-troy-front-tritium-and-plain-rear-black

In low light they do work very well. That being said, they are my back up irons to an optic so I do not use them all that often.

I didn't mean specifically for an AR, those were just the links I happened to come up with at the moment. I am actually interested in the fiber for a 10-22 with the peep sights, for dawn and dusk hunting. How much light do the fiber optics pick up on a full moon night like tonight? I prefer to not use batteries in a gun if I can help it.

... Have you? Can you elaborate?

Coyote. raccoon, fox count?

Sure, but I took Timber to be implying that he had experience in low-light gunfights (as opposed to my expirence putting holes in cardboard) and he had drawn different lessons from that. I would like to know more, if he's willing to share.

I didn't mean specifically for an AR, those were just the links I happened to come up with at the moment. I am actually interested in the fiber for a 10-22 with the peep sights, for dawn and dusk hunting. How much light do the fiber optics pick up on a full moon night like tonight? I prefer to not use batteries in a gun if I can help it.

Fiber optics don't pick up moon light, they just redirect bright light along the tube.

I don't have an issue with night sights, If you need them they are there, otherwise they will work just like regular sights when you use a flashlight.

Every system will have compromises. My Acog works great in the light, but bright light, it can cause the reticule to bloom, making accuracy difficult. At night, the tritium only works if your eyes are adjusted to the darkness, If you light something up with a strong flash light, then you are left with a black reticule. It comes down to knowing your system, its strengths and weakness and how to use it well in all conditions.

Taunton R&P used to run monthly black light shoots. The targets would have fluorescent marker on the kill zones, the good guys, hostages, were unmarked. No laser, no night sights...all in the dark, only the target kill zone was illuminated..

It was a lot of fun. Taught you a lot about point and shoot abilities.

Sorry, dude. Didn't mean to besmirch your reputation as a gunfighter by asking about IDPA when you're involved in USPSA. I realize that USPSA is where IDPA folks fear to tread because they're not hardcore run and gun shooters. Still doesn't negate the fact that you're essentially plagiarizing stuff written in American Hangunner and SWAT Magazine when it comes to turning your light off so you can utilize your night sights.

Not having ever read either, I wouldn't know. I notice you're not asserting anything specific is untrue, either.

I think you're deflecting my question, so I think I'm done here. Anytime you'd like to compare low-light cardboard punching, I'm sure we could find a match.

Ok. My bad. You read it on the internet and not in the magazines.

I'll punch cardboard with you any day you want. Your carry gun, OWB / IWB holster is fine. 2 mags on the belt. No race gun shit. I run a G17 most days, but if you want to change it up to whatever you carry, I'll go get one.

Loser has to go get a Rifleman patch at one of those 25 yard Appleseed shoots with a handgun in 9mm or greater, or maybe donate $100 to the American Cancer Society or something.

It'll be fun. Raise a lot of awareness for the forum, and we'll have some good laughs.

I'd be up for that. Maybe some donation to Comm2a at stake? I was really disappointed when that Appleseed-related challenge didn't materialize last year.

Doing a whole match would be a logistical nightmare, but we might be able to put aside two indoor/lowlight stages at an existing match?

My carry gun is an M&P 45 with a laser, which isn't IDPA legal, but this is sort of the point of this disagreement. We may need to spend some time figuring out exactly what our disagreements actually are, and go from there. Punching cardboard isn't going to resolve the effectiveness of strobes, for example.

But if you're cool making a thing out of this, I am too! Should we make a thread in the competition section, or go PM?

Loser has to go get a Rifleman patch at one of those 25 yard Appleseed shoots with a handgun in 9mm or greater

I had to read this twice. Nice.

The challenge has been laid down and accepted... I wonder whether he'll go through with it now.

Did BA2 ever take up the challenge that was thrown at him?

Comm2a is a great org. We could make it the " First Annual Great Comm2a Challenge" provided Comm2a approves of it. We can sell tickets or something.

My concern here is two-fold.

First, is there that much interest in a TheRoland v. Timber grudge match? Would people actually want to see that, or would this just be the basis for a bigger match?

Second, scheduling a whole match is a huge logistical thing. You need club approvals, dedicate volunteers, and lots of time. Those "Lets shoot three-gun!" threads go nowhere fast because of this. Harvard's crew got 3-gun going, ultimately, by attaching a side-stage to an existing match, which was still pretty hard.

Want to stick with just handguns? Or should we throw in carbines, too?

It depends. Do you think you can beat me with a carbine?[wink] I'm concerned you might! At this point, are you thinking that low-light skills should be a major factor in this challenge? I could go either way on that.

Maybe get some of the match people to set up a course?

I imagine we could talk some of the action-shooting people into doing a side-match pretty easily. Setting up a quick private match of 5-10 people is easy too. But my concern is taking this bigger is going to be hard.

I was pretty disappointed that BA2 didn't accept the Appleseed challenge a couple of years ago, too.

While my memory is hazy, I like to think I was pushing for that challenge, so I'm sure as shit not going to back down here [smile]. I think we have a lot of details to work out, but it's on!

My concern here is two-fold.

First, is there that much interest in a TheRoland v. Timber grudge match? Would people actually want to see that, or would this just be the basis for a bigger match?
!

I'd like to see a grudge match. No need for it to be a huge undertaking. Just find a place that allows you to set up a few targets and allows you to move. Figure out what skills you want to test and how it will be scored in advanced, it could be a series of drills.

How about setting aside an hour at each NES green shoot to settle various NES grudges/challenges. Keep it fun, losers proceeds go to worthy cause and all that.

Would be entertaining and fun. If nothing else it might keep some of the internet chest thumping at bay. Who knows maybe Timber and The Roland will be besties after all this. Usually this kind of thing ends with everyone pissed off and a locked thread. Kudos (and reps) to you both.

Last edited:
How about setting aside an hour at each NES green shoot to settle various NES grudges/challenges. Keep it fun, losers proceeds go to worthy cause and all that.

I think this is a good idea in the future for other arguments; I don't think I can actually make any of this year's Green Shoots though.

Who knows maybe Timber and The Roland will be besties after all this.

I can't speak for Timber, but any internet-argument animosity I might have had was blown away as soon as Timber suggested a competition for charity. He seems to be a stand-up guy.

Or is saying that bad marketing? It's more exciting to say "I hate Timber, Grrr, Argggg", right?

I run black on black sights.

I don't buy all the marketing BS being thrown at us about fancy sights. Find me a scientific study that shows that a F.O. sight is faster to adquire than a black one. Find me another one that shows that one is to shoot more accurately using a FO sight? just as accurately? Right, there aren't any...
I would never shoot anything I can't positively identify, hence no night sights for me.

Like Jose, all my Glocks have a set of Ken Defoor sights.

I don't buy all the marketing BS being thrown at us about fancy sights. Find me a scientific study that shows that a F.O. sight is faster to adquire than a black one. Find me another one that shows that one is to shoot more accurately using a FO sight? just as accurately? Right, there aren't any...

I guess it would be possible to measure the time it takes shooters to acquire FO vs traditional sights, using an invisible laser and sensor rig. Then do a paired t-test to see if there's a significant difference between the two types. I'm kind of surprised a sight manufacturer hasn't done this.

A lot of people are conflating fiber optic sights with night sights. FO sights do not glow in the dark - they gather ambient light and emit it through the ends of the rod.

I would never shoot anything I can't positively identify, hence no night sights for me.

Like Jose, all my Glocks have a set of Ken Defoor sights.

A FO sight may very well be faster to acquire - unfortunately there is no scientific way to account for differences in shooter skill/experience plus the biologic factors.

A FO sight may very well be faster to acquire - unfortunately there is no scientific way to account for differences in shooter skill/experience plus the biologic factors.

You'd only compare shooters of similar measured ability, and that effect drops out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom