• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you use for a gun safe?

Years ago My friend said 500 bucks for a gun safe? I can buy another gun for that amount! I told him so now when someone breaks in, they will have one more gun to steal!

Bought a 600 lb. safe from ESS in Mendon about 15 years ago, give or take, made by cannon, never had any issues I change the battery in the keypad about every 6 months, I'm in and out of it a lot. Lowered it down my bulkhead stairs using ramps a heavy duty 2 wheeler and a tow strap hooked to the front of my truck. Worked like a charm, my friend and i figured one of us would be killed trying to do it by hand lol. P.S. When I retire and move south in 2 years, I hope whoever buys my house is a gun owner and will be interested in buying it. don't want to bring it with me. would rather buy a new one at my next location.

Bass Pro special and it filled up quick. Too small for what I have in it and too heavy to move easily. Lock crapped out after 6 years of daily use. Piss poor temp lock job, but kept out prying eyes ( wife and kids) until my new lock came in. The lock replacement was a piece of cake but wasn't cheap $100 bucks.
Bit of advice- buy once and cry once. I am saving up for the replacement.

Attachments

• safe 1.jpg
    safe 1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 13
  • safe 2.jpg
    safe 2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Just wondering what everyone uses. There seems to be a wide gap between tiny 100 dollar lockboxes and 2000 dollar monstrosities. Id like something reasonably large without breaking the bank. Just curious what everyone uses and where they bought?
BassPro 10 gun safe. BassPro puts their "Redhead" store name on them, but they are actually Browning safes. Excellent quality. Ours has an S&G Group ll dial lock and fits quite nicely behind the door of our master bedroom closet.

Just wondering what everyone uses. There seems to be a wide gap between tiny 100 dollar lockboxes and 2000 dollar monstrosities. Id like something reasonably large without breaking the bank. Just curious what everyone uses and where they bought?
Tractor supply runs some sales every now and again on safes. Can get a reasonably large one for about $500. I bought both of my safes at tractor supply.

BassPro 10 gun safe. BassPro puts their "Redhead" store name on them, but they are actually Browning safes. Excellent quality. Ours has an S&G Group ll dial lock and fits quite nicely behind the door of our master bedroom closet
Watch out for that lock. The factory S&G lock on mine was sloppy from day one and finally gave up on me.

I decided I wanted a decent safe so I spent the money for a Liberty Lincoln 50. My primary reason was I wanted to make sure everything was locked up when we have guests and kids over or we are travelling and I didn't want to replace it in 5 years. We have an alarm system and I'm not worried about the avg neighborhood crackhead or teenager breaking into the house and getting into my safe. My philosophy was spend the money, cry once, and move on.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 10.22.38 AM.png

Revealing your security measures in a public forum is not a great habit to get into. I’m hesitant to say whether or not I have a safe (or how many), let alone the brand or type of lock.

Instead, I suggest you think in terms of “paranoia vs pocketbook,” and installation details. While bolting a safe to a foundation is a great way to prevent a thief from wheeling it out, it may leave it vulnerable to floods. It also may prevent quick access should you need it.

My 2 dogs and snippy wife. [rofl]

Started with a nice Champion Victory 25. Then added a smaller Liberty. Then another. Then a 10-gun oak cabinet. Then a homak steel cabinet. Figure I’ll give each kid a pile of guns and a small safe and put the homak up in Maine.

If I had to do it all over (and avoid the 6 relocations in last 22 years) I’d build a reinforced concrete safe room with vault door in the basement.

Started with a nice Champion Victory 25. Then added a smaller Liberty. Then another. Then a 10-gun oak cabinet. Then a homak steel cabinet. Figure I’ll give each kid a pile of guns and a small safe and put the homak up in Maine.

If I had to do it all over (and avoid the 6 relocations in last 22 years) I’d build a reinforced concrete safe room with vault door in the basement.
Take a look at photos of the home once owned by the (late) Col. Jeff Cooper. It contains the exact type of concrete room and vault door you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom