• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you use for a gun safe?

Just wondering what everyone uses. There seems to be a wide gap between tiny 100 dollar lockboxes and 2000 dollar monstrosities. Id like something reasonably large without breaking the bank. Just curious what everyone uses and where they bought?

Everyone will say buy bigger than you need because they fill up/shrink. While true, consider buying a large safe that you can realistically move without several buddies and equipment. If you need another safe in the future, buy another.

I wanted a big safe, so I got the biggest safe I could fit in my house from ESS in Mendon? Anyways, yea it was/is nice, but when I moved, it was a royal PITA to move. In subsequent moved, I had to rent a low lift hydraulic trailer to move it. Thing weighs 1,500lbs empty. Me and a buddy aint putting that thing in the back of a truck easily. Additionally, a house we moved into was older, and the safe wouldn't fit through any of the doors, so I had to keep it in the garage. Looking back, Id have rather bought reasonable 25-30 gun safes and just kept buying them as I needed them.

ETA, there's a difference between a "Safe" and a residential security container, which is what most gun safes are. There's also a huge price difference.

I bought a Winchester 30 gun safe. I think it's 30 anyway. pouches on the door for handguns and configurable with different shelves to meet your needs It's 508 pounds and I thinink I paid $499 for it. Bought it on a sale at Tractor Supply a number of years ago. Works pretty well and is fire rated. I also have an overflow that is just a sheet metal locking 2 door cabinet. Obviously not hard to break into but it works. The other one I really like is one of those lockable 2 door office metal cabinets with shelves. I put a piece of wood upright between each shelf all the way up to support the ammo weight. Works perfect for mags, ammo, primers and powder.

Pretty much this one. I am happy with it.

Last edited:
just use trigger locks.
Although compliant with MGL, I’m more concerned with arming bad guys than “safe storage “ laws.

Add me to the list of people that wishes they bought a bigger safe. A full safe is useful in preventing impulse purchases though!!

I bought a Winchester 30 gun safe. I think it's 30 anyway. pouches on the door for handguns and configurable with different shelves to meet your needs It's 508 pounds and I thinink I paid $499 for it. Bought it on a sale at Tractor Supply a number of years ago. Works pretty well and is fire rated. I also have an overflow that is just a sheet metal locking 2 door cabinet. Obviously not hard to break into but it works. The other one I really like is one of those lockable 2 door office metal cabinets with shelves. I put a pied of wood upright between each shelf all the way up to support the ammo weight. Works perfect for mags, ammo, primers and powder.

I've got this exact setup. A wincester 26 safe and a stackon 12 gun cabinet. Guns in the safe. Extra ammo and parts in the steel cabinet. Overflow strewn about the place.

For my location, size was a factor. The size 26 safe fit where i wanted it and I can move it myself if necessary. I am gonna need another safe soon.🤣

I bought a Winchester 30 gun safe. I think it's 30 anyway. pouches on the door for handguns and configurable with different shelves to meet your needs It's 508 pounds and I thinink I paid $499 for it. Bought it on a sale at Tractor Supply a number of years ago. Works pretty well and is fire rated. I also have an overflow that is just a sheet metal locking 2 door cabinet. Obviously not hard to break into but it works. The other one I really like is one of those lockable 2 door office metal cabinets with shelves. I put a piece of wood upright between each shelf all the way up to support the ammo weight. Works perfect for mags, ammo, primers and powder.

/thread

Depends on what you are using it for. To meet storage requirements of a locked container - pretty much anything that can be locked - or to protect items from fire and/or walking out the door easily. Big and heavy offer more protection from a quick thief hit, but all locked boxes will fall if given time and determination. Multiple cheap boxes like Stack-On boxes meet requirements and are easy on the wallet. Locked file cabinets meet ammo storage requirement and are also not expensive.

Stack on - keypad

Sturdy Safe - dial 24

Metal Cabinet- key
Neighbor gave me and I sanded and repainted- it does it’s job for what it is.

As most things in life, you'll have to look at your own expectations. Not sure how many guns you have, but if it isn't a lot, it is hard to justify spending a large amount on a large safe, rather than using that money for the actual guns you want. Unless you try the buy once, cry once. Myself....my storage options grew with my collection and needs. I started with just the simple metal locker type gun safes and bought them at Cabelas when they were on sale and I had gift cards. Ultimately, I ended with one of those larger safes (Liberty model, bought at Cabelas) and now use the metal lockers for Ammo and reload components. My one advice for the larger safes...if you make the decision, get the items you want or can be upgraded. Example, heating bar for humidity (Mine needed an outlet in the safe, some models have it, some can be upgraded easily, some can't), Door organizers for handguns saves a ton of space. Finally, I went with gun rods rather than rebuilding the rack system. Basically a rod goes down the barrel and velcros to the upper shelf. That way you can store / organize your long guns in any configuration. Fire rating is something to consider, now my safe also stores some important items for the family that aren't guns. Just my 2 cents.

Just wondering what everyone uses. There seems to be a wide gap between tiny 100 dollar lockboxes and 2000 dollar monstrosities. Id like something reasonably large without breaking the bank. Just curious what everyone uses and where they bought?
Either bigger than you need or, what I prefer, several smaller safes.

The smaller ones are easier to move, easier to organize, if you dont have a lot of space they can be placed in separate rooms, you can buy them as you need them...

Easier to move in bold because to me it is something very important. Moving without guns already s*cks, moving with guns s*cks more, moving with guns + a huge safe that you need to spend too much time thinking about how you will move it is total sh*t.

Then you have to worry about fire protection. That is personal preference, do you have collectibles or easy to find common guns?

If you have a bunch of common stuff, it could be cheaper to buy insurance.

If you are into longer guns such as a Sharps or a Musket, make sure the safe is tall enough. You will be surprised how many safes cannot accommodate a 34" barrel + stock or a musket with their 40"+ barrels.

Last edited:
Stack on makes a good safe for the money, and nice cabinet/locker style safes for ammo as well. You have much more room when you keep them separate.

I got an Eastern Security Sportsman 25, was the right size for the space I had. It's full now of course :) I'll get another when I need it. I have an older cheaper gun cabinet I converted to an ammo cabinet that I upgraded from.

When I was in Mass I bought an old soda machine for $100. Gutted it out and it was great, not too many thieves would think to break into it?
Now, well, top of the night stand works just fine.

I have a Winchester 26 as well. I think it was $450 or $500 about 6 or 7 years ago. I think they’ve gone up in price, no idea if the quality or features have changed. I haven’t had any issues with it and it’s a very good “safe” for the price point. As others have said, it’s around 500 lbs. Cannon is a similar safe from TSC, the advantage of the Winchester for one is the door is removable when moving it where the cannon door cannot be removed. Knocks probably 100 lbs off the weight when moving it, definitely helps getting it down/up stairs etc.

It’s not a top quality safe from Eastern but it provide solid security and it’s a great deal for that price point

Just buy the biggest safe you can afford, if it needs to go up stairs or on a second floor or you live in an apartment or condo, check out Snap Safes, they are modular and are assembled in place.

Just buy the biggest safe you can afford, if it needs to go up stairs or on a second floor or you live in an apartment or condo, check out Snap Safes, they are modular and are assembled in place.
Or if you have $1600- $3K to burn and want something modular yet a little less perforated, Zanotti.

What do you want to accomplish? Abide by storage laws, keep kids/curious people out, fire safety, theft?

Different answers based on what you want.
This

I have a 30 & 36 gun safes in my basement. Heavy as Hell, even with the doors taken off.
I'll never buy another one. I just want to abide by the Massachusetts storage laws.
I have tons of Stack-On 14 Gun Cabinets, I have a few smaller and a few bigger.
So much cheaper and lighter. I used to wait for them to go on sale @ Dick's,
I used to pay no more than $110.00, but then I joined Team Maura, now I boycott Dick's.

Instead of buying one large safe that requires professional movers i bough two almost big safes that two or three guys can move. Then I bolted them together and lagged them to my concrete floor. Just as immovable as a large safe but can be unbolted and relocated when necessary.

Everyone will say buy bigger than you need because they fill up/shrink. While true, consider buying a large safe that you can realistically move without several buddies and equipment. If you need another safe in the future, buy another.

I wanted a big safe, so I got the biggest safe I could fit in my house from ESS in Mendon? Anyways, yea it was/is nice, but when I moved, it was a royal PITA to move. In subsequent moved, I had to rent a low lift hydraulic trailer to move it. Thing weighs 1,500lbs empty. Me and a buddy aint putting that thing in the back of a truck easily. Additionally, a house we moved into was older, and the safe wouldn't fit through any of the doors, so I had to keep it in the garage. Looking back, Id have rather bought reasonable 25-30 gun safes and just kept buying them as I needed them.

ETA, there's a difference between a "Safe" and a residential security container, which is what most gun safes are. There's also a huge price difference.
Great advice. Don’t forget to save yourself a nut and take off the door before moving it

Instead of buying one large safe that requires professional movers i bough two almost big safes that two or three guys can move. Then I bolted them together and lagged them to my concrete floor. Just as immovable as a large safe but can be unbolted and relocated when necessary.
How about a Zanotti?

View: https://youtu.be/27_WJxLe6aY

I have a Liberty Revolution.

The truth of it is the choice of a safe isn't the most significant decision. Have you watched how break into safes? More important are having it fixed to the floor and then having the structure of the house around the safe (e.g. in a tight closest). Real security isn't going to come from a safe - it is going to be a layered defense with the safe as protected as possible.

Back
Top Bottom