• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you think this press setup is worth.

dcmdon

NES Member
Hi all,
I my be able to get a 1050 for a decent price.
Was wondering what you all thought a 650 in excellent condition would be worth.

I know its only worth what someone is willing to pay for. But how much do these things depreciate. I am in the middle of tearing it apart and replacing any worn items. I could put it together as a 9mm or .45 acp press.

My interest in the 1050 depends on how much I'll be able to get for the 650. But I'll have to buy the 1050 before I sell the 650. So a decent idea of what its worth is worth a lot.

Thanks again.

This is the new cost of everything.

Dillon 650 Press 650
Roller Handle 50
Bullet tray 46
Strong mount 52
powder check 72
case feeder 300
Shipping 26
Roller index cam 30
Live primer catch bottle 20
Total 1246

*****NOTE - This press is not for sale. I'm not trying an underhanded way to list it for sale. I am a green member and could (and will) list in the reloading for sale forum, once I"m ready to sell.
I legitimately trying to figure out if I can justify the 1050.

Hi all,
I my be able to get a 1050 for a decent price. Was wondering what you all thought a 650 in excellent condition would be worth. . . . I legitimately trying to figure out if I can justify the 1050.

Depends on the amount for which you can acquire the 1050, right?

The number that gets thrown around for used Dillon presses (take it for what its worth) is ~75% of full retail. The thinking is that with the lifetime warranty a "used" press can easily be brought back to new condition (I've done with with a 550) for short money.

I usually start at 80% of retail when selling dillon presses. Remove shipping and non dillon accessories from your list. Those add ons are just bonuses at this point.
I've had presses go for higher than 80% on ebay, but once fees are collected, I'm back down to 75-80%ish.
Shipping 650s suck. So try to stay local.

Nick - thank you, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll try to sell it locally. I bought my other 650 off of USPSA.com. It was an absolute steal. (Once I sold off the extras I didn't need, I had the press for free). But it looked like a nightmare to package and ship. He clearly didn't charge me enough for shipping. ($50)

Supermoto - Not a lot. But I may be able to get enough of a deal on the 1050 that I'd give it a try for curiosity's sake.

Only once have I had a situation the 650 couldn't handle. That was converting .223 brass to .300 BLK. The 1050 can do it in one pass by just pulling the handle. Just load the hopper with 223/5.56, pull the handle and .300 BLK shells pop out of the press. Pretty cool. But that couldn't begin to justify the cost if it weren't for the fact that I may be able to get a decent deal on the 1050. Its far more a matter of wanting it than needing it.

Re Ponsness Warren Drive - I don't understand how this could work on a 650. It seems like every 50 rounds or so something happens that requires me to touch the press. Sometimes its a berdan primer'd case, sometimes the case rebounds a bit off the plate when its pushed in place, sometimes a case is upside down. I'm 100% sure I'm missing something.

Clearly if you use one of those things, you would need to put extra attention into inspecting your brass. But you still have to stand at the press to feed bullets. I don't see how this is worthwhile unless you also use a bullet feeder.

I don't claim to be a real expert on reloading. There's a lot I don't know. I make good ammunition. That I know. But as far as getting the absolute most out of everything, I'm sure there's much to learn.

you must know someone who would really love to get hooked up with a good deal on a reloading set up?
I say this.... What ever the differential is on the 1050 deal pass it along with the 650 sale.... you get the 1050 for 70% retail well pass the 650 off for 70% retail ?

I get your point. I need to confirm the 1050 is available and configured how I am expecting. But then I may take your advice and offer the 650 for a good price in the Green classifieds first.

Its not 70% off. I really wish.

Things to consider....

- The 750 is out, reducing the value of the 650
- Dillon has announced the successor to the 1050; I think it's the 1100
- If you want to go high end, consider a Mark VII reloader. I have not seen one, but I know the founders and their tech guy was a local and Hopkinton regular until he spent more time at his FL place than in his Metrowest or Cape houses/condos. The guy is a mechanical genius who dabbles in stuff like press auto drive systems and invented the technology to avoid that extra loud first show when using a silenced weapon.

Last edited:
I get your point. I need to confirm the 1050 is available and configured how I am expecting. But then I may take your advice and offer the 650 for a good price in the Green classifieds first.

Its not 70% off. I really wish.
70% of the retail. Or 30%off
personally i would up grade first then decide to sell the 650.
You could always set up the 650 for something else

Back
Top Bottom