• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you think this Colt 1903 is worth?

Guess based on comparables, plus reputation of Adams and what I might pay if I was into that kind of gun and was interested in being fair.

This one listed for $2000 thee months ago, but was not engraved...

Same seller and photo listed 3 times, Lowest price marked SOLD was $1026.99 one week ago...

1635381345673.png
NOTE:
This web page may help with ballparking it. Most of the top-end pistols are original and have original boxes and accoutrements.
All pistols pictured have been SOLD and include the price and a general date of sale...

COLT 1903 POCKET HAMMERLESS New and Used Price, Value, & Trends 2021

Last edited:
This one is nearly Identical and is for sale at:
$2,800.00 was $3,200.00

COLT 1903 HAMMERLESS 32 POCKET AUTOMATIC

(Lots more photos and info at above link...)
~Enbloc
1635382667586.png
^^^ This almost looks like laser engraving.
Your pistol's engraving is far superior... and this ^^^ may be made to look like your specimen to increase value (see write-up on page link above)

1635382942311.png

Last edited:
I'd mill it for a rail and go with cerakote. FDE, of course.

Nah. I kid. I'd not pay more than $1200 for that, which I suspect is waaay low. I own many guns from that same era, but none of them is engraved or nickeled. Nor are they Colt autos, to be fair.

Engraving can't be any older than 1968. Bright nickel plating would have been done after engraving... So, refinished. Nice but refinished....

BIOGRAPHY
John Adams Sr.
1968- present John Sr. started engraving part time after being employed by Harrington Richardson Co., located in Mansfield, Massachusetts, doing parts for the Springfield rifle. Additionally, he developed a private customer base that he engraved guns for. In 1976 John went to work full time for the Colt Mfg. Co. as a freelance engraver through R.L. Wilson and private customers. In 1983 he moved his family to Corinth, Vermont and built a home where he engraved for ten years. John Sr. has engraved over 3000 firearms for the Colt Mfg. Co. including 35 John Wayne Commemeratives. Seven of these went directly to the Wayne family. His clientele included Tom Seleck, who he engraved three designated Magnums, 1,2, and 3. He also engraved a gun for
Sammy Davis Junior, all being commissioned under the auspices of Colt Mfg. Co. In 1994 the family moved to Dennis, Massachusetts where John Sr., and his son, John Adams Jr., received a contract from Sturm Ruger Co. to engrave Red Label shot guns, whereby they engraved over 400. They also engraved 110 Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation guns.

John Adams Jr.

John Adams Jr. first started engraving at age 16 years. When he completed his education, in 1992, he decided to engrave full time with his father while residing in Corinth. In 1994 he moved to Dennis, Massachusetts and by 1995 became a Colt Mfg. Co. vender. While working there, he also developed his own private clientele base that he engraved for. In November 1998 he moved to Vershire, Vermont and established his present custom business that he has with his father called ADAMS AND ADAMS CUSTOM ENGRAVERS.

I'd say $2000-3000 if the nickel plating is properly done and in good shape, and the engraving can be authenticated. It's worth what someone is willing to pay. It definitely looks like his work, but I wouldn't count on John Adams Sr. being the engraver unless it was authenticated by them. The ivory grips are worth some coin on their own. A regular 1903 hammerless in .32 acp could bring $750, maybe $1000 depending on conditon. The ivory grips and engraving would add value if authenticated, the nickel plating would turn off a purist Colt collector because it's definitely not original from Colt, but it probably doesn't hurt the value on a customized gun like that as long as it's done well and not pitted or corroded anywhere. The reason I give a $1000.00 window is because it really takes the right buyer to get a good price for something like that, not everyone is into the nickel/ivory thing, and being a .32 colt hammerless it's just not as popular of a gun, even though they are cool, it's not a vintage 1911 or SAA.

I saw that gun on Instagram and wondered the same thing - what is the price? I might call to find out.

If those grips are real ivory,and in nice shape,they are worth some good coin.

something doesn't look right on that gun from the op's first post. i don't profess to be an expert... that engraving doesn't look crisp. go look at an adams engraved blued gun, it's so crisp you could cut yourself by running your finger over it. it looks like someone buffed this gun out and refinished it after it was engraved. i've also looked at the factory lettering, and the letters look rounded in spots. maybe it's my old eyes. is that finish suppose to be nickle or chrome? and a blued colt factory adams sr. engraved gun was north of $3300. didn't adams sign his work? just a non expert asking out loud.

where's that colt collector we have here, he must have books on serial numbers and such. wondering if this was shipped as engraved or blue or what not.

I think the focal point appears to be on the box behind the gun making the gun slightly out of focus and a little blurry.

Back
Top Bottom