• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you think is the best Ma Compliant Muzzle Break for an AR15?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I've been talking to Jon at Anvil Arms about my NES upper build and he only has one option for a MA Compliant muzzle break. It's OK, but I'm sure there are ones out there that are much better.

If you had your choice, what muzzle break would you put on an M4 carbine AR-15?

Yes, this is a shameless attempt to find something good without having to do a bunch of internet surfing. [smile]

Personally I'd go with the plain muzzle if it's an option. During the ban, since I couldn't get a FS that was my choice on my ARs. The muzzle break isn't really needed with .223.

Muzzle Break

Personally I'd go with the plain muzzle if it's an option. During the ban, since I couldn't get a FS that was my choice on my ARs. The muzzle break isn't really needed with .223.
But it looks a lot more threatening. That`s what makes it a "bad" gun.

I like something out there, anything, to protect the crown. Can't help you with the MA-compliant stuff.

Best choice, and least obnoxious is the plain muzzle (no brake).

If you can't, then a Mini-Y compensator should be legal, they were under the Federal 1994 ban, I had one, got it from Bushmaster. You wouldn't want to be next to me.

What do you mean best? Best cosmetically? Best function?

Best functioning would probably be my first priority. Unless the best functioning looks like a limp hotdog on the end of a stick. I'd probably give up a little functionality in order to get something that makes the rifle look good.

OK this may be a dumb question, but what determines if a Muzzel break is MA. ok or not ? I just thought if it was permentally attached ( Silver Soldered ) it was ok?

I like the one that looks exactly like the A2 flash hider without the slots cut all the way through. Gives you the look, and keeps it compliant.

Get a muzzle brake that you can cut barbed wire with :)

that would be "rebar" cutter

I like the one that looks exactly like the A2 flash hider without the slots cut all the way through. Gives you the look, and keeps it compliant.

It is called the Branson Compensator and is available through Del-Ton. This will be the one I am using on my M4gery that I will have Jon build for my NES upper.

Click the pic for the link ...

The Miculek Brake works very well and is inexpensive. My dot barely moves at all when shooting. It really depends on what you want to do, do you want to cut barbed wire, have a spike brake to hit people with, or fast follow up shots

The Miculek Brake works very well and is inexpensive. My dot barely moves at all when shooting. It really depends on what you want to do, do you want to cut barbed wire, have a spike brake to hit people with, or fast follow up shots

I like the look of the fancy, cut barb wire and skewer someone if needed brake. But, I think I'd rather have something that gives me faster follow up shots. Can't see much use for me having to cut through barbed wire anytime soon. [wink]

I like the look of the fancy, cut barb wire and skewer someone if needed brake. But, I think I'd rather have something that gives me faster follow up shots. Can't see much use for me having to cut through barbed wire anytime soon. [wink]

You can cut anything with it not just barbed wire! Use it to slide a sheet of paper...string beans, trim your bushes, and much much more!

Determining what/which is MA compliant is the kicker... how does one do that nowadays?

During the 94 AWB manufacturers submitted examples to the BATF (legal or tech branch... I forget which, probably both), for testing, evaluation and ruling in order to determine it's legality.

The BATF would give it's seal of approval and the manufacturers would state in their ads that it was "BATF approved".

Ever since the fed ban expired, it's rare (if ever), that manufacturers even bother with the approval process anymore.

With that in mind, the wisest approach would be to go with an example that was produced during the ban, still available and unchanged during that time.

Which is best? I have no idea.

Personally speaking... I think it's more of a matter of aesthetics than function (at least for SHTF, plinking and fun and games). The light recoil and muzzle climb of an unbraked AR isn't that much different than a braked one.

And not that I'm anal about these kind of things (I'm not... but I can't say the same for the MA AG), a brake could be legal so as not to be a flash suppressor, but if the outer diameter is not within certain specs (I believe it had to be larger than 22mm-23mm), it could also qualify as a grenade launcher

Last edited:
It really depends on what you want to do, do you want to cut barbed wire, have a spike brake to hit people with, or fast follow up shots

Tromix brake... [devil]

sharkz1-sm.jpg

sharkz2-sm.jpg

A mass compliant ar needs a brake!

Especially since some brakes have the strange habit of reducing muzzle flash. [smile]

I have a rock river arms Military Style Muzzle Brake...

If it reduces muzzle flash, it becomes illegal

I don't know if that's really 100% true, considering there are several brakes on the market that will often reduce or alter muzzle flash in one way or another. Not sure what the ATF test criteria used to be, I'm sure it was less than fully scientific. My guess would be is it's about intent- if the device was intended to, and indeed does, reduce muzzle flash to some significant degree, then it qualifies as an FS.

Not to mention, the "test" is likely going to be very subjective depending on the ammo being used. Fed M193 will produce huge fireballs, sometimes even with guns that -have- some kind of mediocre flash suppressor on them. You take something like Win Q3131 (A?) and then test it and the flash isn't much difference with or without even a high quality suppressor. You change the barrel length and the test changes yet again. If I use ammo that doesn't flash nearly as much, does that make every cartridge a flash
hider?

[laugh]
-Mike

Back
Top Bottom