What do you think about this scenario (LTC application - References)

sbi

When you put names of two references (not the idiotic 'letters' that some CoP "require" in addition), would it be required that you notify the referral that you put his/her name on the form?
I mean, obviously...common sense says "Of course!"

But what if you don't​ ask/notify them?! What if you know a 'figure' (on a first-name-basis) in the city who has direct impact on LTC/Restrictions policy, you don't feel comfortable to approach that person and ask if it's OK to use his/her name as a reference. What if you just put their name there without notifying them?

Just a crazy thought that I had.

If its a important figure that could directly impact your ltc. I WOULD ask. But I asked the referrals I put down anyway. I don't like to pit people's names down without them knowing.

Is it "required" by the PD's? No. But I bet the first time your reference says to a PD "I didn't give him a reference" is the reason that the PD will hang their hat on when they reject the LTC.

If you don't feel confident/comfortable asking them to be a reference for you, why would you list them as your reference?

You would want to know in advance if called to be a reference for someone else, it only makes sense to offer the same courtesy.

Thank you all.

(I hope it's not my crazy idea that brought the site down [frown])

My friends and I have reciprocated references for LTC's, we all live in different towns, and none of us have ever been contacted.

My friends and I have reciprocated references for LTC's, we all live in different towns, and none of us have ever been contacted.

Yeah, I am sure no one will be contacted, but for the 0.01% that they will. And if it's a high-figure person, I would assume if the LO sees the name he'll probably be curious.

BTW - the reason I "don't feel comfortable" approaching them is that you don't know these days who you are asking...could be a gun lover, or could be an anti-gun wack. It's a risk.

It's a roll of the dice. I have been contacted by more than one town. They don't say. "joe smith put you down as a reference". They ask if you know the person and ask what they do for work etc. naturally most people will then volunteer ' he's a great guy'. Etc etc.

I think the odds of the Police Chief bringing up the reference to an important City figure are probably higher than if listing 2 drinking buddies that nobody ever heard of from a couple of towns over. You never know who knows who.

I am getting ready to apply for my LTC and I just spoke with a friend to ask him to be a reference and he actually told me to use him before I got the chance to ask - which was cool. He then told me that his references on his LTC application were the 2 Firearms Licensing Officers in town, lol.

I would NEVER use anyone as a reference without asking because it is just not right and also because you could put yourself in a VERY awkward position.

I used a friend of my that is a LEO from a couple towns over. I ran it by him first. He and my other reference never got a call. Then again it all depends on the town.

My two references were both LEO's from the town. I got permission from both. I have friends that use me as a reference when they take government work or need a security clearance. They ALWAYS let me know so I can be prepared for the line of questioning that I will be subjected to. You don't want your reference to be caught off guard.

A simple, "Hey would you mind if I listed you on the LTC application?" goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom