What do you think about this for ammo storage?

I’m new to this part of the forum so bear with me while I may ask some dumb questions.

What about this idea.... a very small dry bag from REI.... like this Sea to Summit Lightweight Dry Sack - 2L | REI Co-op

Pour in loose rounds - 22lr or 9mm as an example-no boxes or anything-just loose rounds-then put the dry bag in a bugout bag.

On a scale of 1-10 (one being the worst), where would this idea fall?
Goal is to have a waterproof storage solution for ammo.

^Pretty much what he said^
When it comes to ammo, "keeping it dry" is relative. I've shot plenty of surplus ammo from many 3rd world nations and I know the ammo was over 50 years old and I guarantee the ammo wasn't housed in some climate controlled storage facility.
Ammo is built to withstand less than ideal storage. Heck, most of my ammo sits in my basement on shelves. I have 22lr I bought in the late 80's that I occasionally bring to the range and it still always goes bang.
And if your BOB is packed properly you aren't going to have room for sacks of ammo. Mine has one box of 50 spare ammo for my sidearm.

Yep. Good steel surplus ammo can (.30cal or .50cal) with a good gasket and a heavy Ziploc bag with some silica packs will fill-the-bill nicely.
(Walmart has brand new cans for around $12 bucks)
3006a.jpg

Pour in loose rounds - 22lr or 9mm as an example-no boxes or anything-just loose rounds
Mixing bulk ammo of different brands/lots is not usually a good thing as far as dependability/accuracy.
If you want to store a bunch of bulk .22, just make sure you bag brands separately...

Also, I believe Massachusetts has some silly law about keeping ammunition in their original boxes, but I don't know anyone who follows it. ~Just thought you should know...

You specifically say this is for a bugout bag, so a dry bag might make sense. I would also consider a vacuum sealer, which is great for food storage, but is also great for storing ammo in a tight space, like a bag, for a long time.

I’m new to this part of the forum so bear with me while I may ask some dumb questions.

What about this idea.... a very small dry bag from REI.... like this Sea to Summit Lightweight Dry Sack - 2L | REI Co-op

Pour in loose rounds - 22lr or 9mm as an example-no boxes or anything-just loose rounds-then put the dry bag in a bugout bag.

Dumping loose rounds into a bag is a pain in the ass to deal with when you actually want the ammo. Especially pistol ammo because its so small. .22 would be a nightmare if the bag has any nooks and crannies. I would imagine this doesn't, but its going to have corners. Then you'll have the joy of fishing out the ammo when you want to use it.

Probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if its exclusively a sack of ammo, but having some form of sorting is better. Now, dumping loaded magazines into a sack? That's easier to deal with because magazines are big enough to grab, take out, and then use.

Go green and the answers u seek will be everywhere

You specifically say this is for a bugout bag, so a dry bag might make sense. I would also consider a vacuum sealer, which is great for food storage, but is also great for storing ammo in a tight space, like a bag, for a long time.

I use my vacuum sealer for all kinds of non-food items.

Bob

At first I was going to say it was kind of expensive but I guess considering you can open and reseal it a million times without tools then it’s a good idea.
I would probably vacuum seal small amounts say 50 round boxes or 100 rounds loose. Keep those in the BOB or at the stock pile or in the truck etc. When you’re out at about using your BOB you can keep the opened packages in the dry bag or even one of the Plano water tight storage boxes. This way you have access to your ammo and it’s safe and dry without having to keep 1000 rounds in a dry bag. If you drop that dry bag or access during in like the weather or get a rip it it you’re screwed. The backup ammo in the vacuum bags would still be safe and separate.

This take always annoys me, the forum doesn't require green to ask a question why does the user base? On top of that, plenty of green members get shit for asking dumb questions.
Agreed. Plus I’ve been a member since 2015 or so and have been green the majority of the time. I’ll “go green” again to support the site.

This take always annoys me, the forum doesn't require green to ask a question why does the user base? On top of that, plenty of green members get shit for asking dumb questions.
Anything else annoy u??? This is the place to get it all out. We are all here for u....if your a green member of course, lol!!

Yup, there are some folks here that believe those of us without the green banner should know our place and shut our traps. Funny thing though, when I had the banner I can't recall seeing "Hall Monitor" applications in the member section even though it's what some believe themselves to be.

Yup, there are some folks here that believe those of us without the green banner should know our place and shut our traps. Funny thing though, when I had the banner I can't recall seeing "Hall Monitor" applications in the member section even though it's what some believe themselves to be.

Hall monitor Hal.

"go green" is sometimes a valid answer to a question. There is info shared in the members only section that is NOT shared elsewhere

My take on this is that if your putting it in a bug out bag.....your bugging out.....so waterproof storage for ammo would not be necessary. Load it in mags and keep it accessible. Also ammo that you have on your person.....for the "real deal" doesn't Need to be waterproofed. 25 years in the army 12 in the infantry and we never waterproofed ammo in our combat loads. It gets wet. It's not a problem.

Long term storage sure. Get some ammo cans and silica.

Just my 2 cents.

My take on this is that if your putting it in a bug out bag.....your bugging out.....so waterproof storage for ammo would not be necessary. Load it in mags and keep it accessible. Also ammo that you have on your person.....for the "real deal" doesn't Need to be waterproofed. 25 years in the army 12 in the infantry and we never waterproofed ammo in our combat loads. It gets wet. It's not a problem.

Just my 2 cents.
This. I save every little silica pack that comes with any shipment I get, or sneakers I buy, and throw them in with my ammo, and safe. You can also buy it by the gallon.

Just my 2 cents.
Don’t they seal the neck and primer of the military ammo?

Yeah, again though, that's for long term storage.

If I were to drop modern centerfire ammo into a puddle, I could wipe it off on my clothes, then chamber and fire the wet round. Shotgun shells, pistol rounds, rifle rounds. No lacquer sealant. I do that pretty frequently during mud season. What primer and bullet sealant do is prevent moisture from accumulating over time. Like, say, if you were storing ammo for a decade or so in Vietnam or Louisiana or Florida or Alaska.

Any ammo will be fine if it gets wet. Just wipe it off....or not......and load it. Even shotgun ammo. Ive loaded many a soaking wet shotgun shell in the field and they all fired. I've even wiped down soaking wet shells after a rainy hunt and put it back on my shelf....... Loaded and fired next time out no problem.

Any ammo will be fine if it gets wet. Just wipe it off....or not......and load it. Even shotgun ammo. Ive loaded many a soaking wet shotgun shell in the field and they all fired. I've even wiped down soaking wet shells after a rainy hunt and put it back on my shelf....... Loaded and fired next time out no problem.
I'm sure if you're handing a wet cartridge during hunting season and you wipe it off it will fire fine. I think the situation this guy is talking about would be a little more than light drizzle during a walk through the upland fields.
My buddy had a bunch of ammo in a safe in his cellar. A pipe burst and all of the ammo got wet. He couldn't count on the ammo at all. Dead primers left and right. He junked over 1000 rounds of 45 ACP after the next range trip. Tried box after box with the same results.
Now I'm not saying OP will have to worry about a burst pipe while he's bugging out, but the threat of water damage would be real if you had to keep your ammo on you. If I had the choice of dropping 2 loaded mags and a few boxes of 9mm into my pack as is or dropping the loaded mags into my pack beside 2 boxes of 9mm that were in dry bag or vacuum sealed I think I would opt for the latter.
I can't really think of any drawbacks other than maybe a little more time to get the packages open vs a plain jane box. In the worst case scenario you take a slip into the drink or get drenched when moving from one spot to another at least you didn't lose all of your ammo.

I bought a bunch of 30 caliber ammo cans at a flea market about twenty five years ago. When I fire up the reloading press I keep loading until I fill a can, then I change calibers and repeat. I'm not at ease until I have at least one full ammo can for each caliber I shoot.

Actually, I like your idea given that the purpose is for a bug out bag. If for something you will actually carry any distance, like a backpack, space and especially weight come at a premium and that little dry bag adds virtually nothing to weight and space. The ammo is going to be heavy enough. Why anyone thinks carrying a steel ammo can around is a good idea is beyond me. Yeah, have extra mags but there's a limit to how many are reasonable to carry. Easy enough to reach in that small dry bag for more ammo. 👍

I think most people think bug out like this:

ar15acces.jpg

When this is more realistic:

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd do the 50 rounds each in a sealed bag inside the BOB. In the unlikely event you'd ever need it, you'll want every round you've been humping all day. You could make a 'helper' cut so you could open it easier if you needed to. Just enough to start the tear, not into the sealed part.

Back
Top Bottom