• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What do you store HT antennas in?

While organizing my radio gear, I started wondering what people do to store their antennas, when they are not in use.

I just got a long section of pvc with a 3/4" center and just cut sections off to fit the antenna and cap it off with 1" rubber tips that go on the bottom of a stool. It works well and I can throw any of them in a backpack without worrying about bending up the antenna. Do you guys do something similar or am I just overthinking this a bit? [laugh]

Thanks for the feedback.

Great idea. I end up swapping to the crappy stock antenna when it goes into a bag so I don't ruin the good one. This is a much better solution.

I do something similar, although I use standard PVC end caps. To cushion the antenna, I found some pipe insulation that had an OD just slightly smaller than the ID of the PVC. I just cut small sections off of the pipe insulation and stick it in the end caps. for the antenna tip, I was able to find a rubber grommet that had almost perfect OD and ID dimensions to fit inside the PVC and fit snugly around the antenna tip. For the base of the antenna, a rubber o ring takes up the slack.
I went to this level of effort because I was planning on storing some of the antennas for my HT and mag mount in the trunk of my car or backpack, as the OP mentions.

I always find that if you separate the antenna from the radio it inevitably disappears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom